If BD Wins, We Riot!

Any one who has performed knows that any sound you hear when you are onstage refers to you, no matter how your mind tries to convince you otherwise. Any "Boos" heard by the corps, any corps, hurts the kids on the field, even if the boos are actually intended for the judges. Indifferent applause speaks louder and hurts less.

That said, I've heard tales that the riots that occurred at the original Rite of Spring premiere might have been staged by plants in the audience for publicity... not sure anyone would get the joke.

and here the booing has consistently occurred not when BD was performing but at the announcement of scores. No joke.

Thank you for saying that Normy. Your words are a comfort to me to know that someone cares. I was simply to hurt to respond myself and had to call my son-in-law who is a licensed therapist to come to the home and comfort me.

I just don't think Kamarq understands or appreciates how much I work at writing my amazingly thoughtful posts which if he took more time to think about he would understand me better. I really think if he (I'm assuming it's a he because I don't believe any lady would be so harsh in their chastisement) understood the time I put into this and if he knew my back story and the nuanced details of what I was thinking he wouldn't say such things because his words broke my heart.

So you are saying that if someone "Takes More Time To Understand Something"That they may grow to appreciate it? Because honestly Granny, you don't come off as something I would want to delve into to learn more about, in fact... "If I have to do research, then it isn't worth it" wouldn't you and many others here agree with this rational?

Note: Instead of taking this as a personal affront, use it as an analogy"

It's clear that a lot of people--including me--don't like BD's show. I don't boo the corps when it is on the field. I just don't applaud. But booing the judges decision is no different than booing umpires, referees ect. at other competitive events. Freedom of expression is still a good thing.

It is funny how you add freedom to your post to add legitimacy... Booing the judges decision means... Wait for it... That you do NOT agree with the judges! Guess what that means... That you do NOT agree with the placement received by the corps! So if you do not think that BD should have placed in 1st. You boo the judges during retreat which is received by the Drum Majors (MM's)who in turn because they are human, tell at least someone they are close to and it gets around the corps that the crowd didn't think they should have won. Call it what you want, slice it as you like, justify #### poor behavior all you wish... But a pig in a dress is still a pig in a dress!

People that boo may or may not " feel good about themselves " after they boo, who knows. But who cares one way or the other how booers feel after they boo ? I don't even know these people, so I really don't care how they "feel about themselves" after they boo ( or yawn, or stretch, or give a Standing O or whatever )

No one cares how they feel about themselves BRASSO... You grab the smallest shard of a post and comment on that. Without question what was said and I paraphrase is "The disingenuous lie" that they (The Booers) are booing the placement is merely a justification for the reality that although they have somehow convinced themselves that booing the "judges" decision in effect is saying that they disagree with the outcome, but it isn't telling the corps that they do not deserve what they have achieved. I am sure the DM's go back to the corps after receiving their lambasting and blow sunshine about the experience all over the corps!

• Like 2

See.....not everyone wants to go to a drum corps show to be educated.

But some do...and some enjoy this type of show. Why do you want to take it away from them? Wouldn't a variety of styles be better for everyone?

The volume, velocity, and vehemence typical in the posts of this thread manifests clearly that there is a major disconnect between those who assign the judges and those who pay the judges' salaries by buying tickets. If BD is given the title again this year, is it perhaps time for BD or at least its design team to move on out of DCI (I don't mean a G-7 break) as the challenge, the reception, and the satisfaction seems to be diminished from what so many others are willing to subsidize? Just floating an idea knowing that Plan 9 and Jasgr... will write volumes in response.

I really thought this thread was done....but apparently we love to dwell on conflict and trashing the target du jour (BD) has transcended into "sport" for some on DCP. Oh yeah, that's right....reality TV producers will tell you the same thing. So, not only do we get low-brow conversation.. we get dumbed-down TV….Oh, joy of joys…. we are a sad bunch of cultural ninnys seeking the very lowest common denominator. We have pulled into an evolutionary "rest stop".

Anyway, since you have established an expectation about me responding....I will...(perhaps not a "volume".. because we know that ONLY BD honks respond in "volumes" blink.gif/>)…. but a response none the less: I assume by "volume, velocity and vehemence" you are making the point that we have crossed some Rubicon (created by you) that establishes your personal taste in entertainment as the threshold for reward in DCI. You are so exercised by some drum corps' performance and subsequent fan response that you feel they should depart the activity?….and put things right in your troubled world. The fact is, veiled threats of DCI's demise, loss of revenue, lemming-like copying of BD and other nonsense are unveiled by "the truth"…which is: not a #### thing predicted by the apparently disenfranchised (you, granny, brasso, et al) has occurred or will occur, despite your powerless, frustrated barking . You may desperately want it to, to validate your position…. but sorry, no mas! So... in the end...the winner will win...and if it's CC....the crowd will cheer (including me and other BD honks)....if BD wins.... the disenfranchised will grunt.... for their mental health.

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1

So you are saying that if someone "Takes More Time To Understand Something"That they may grow to appreciate it? Because honestly Granny, you don't come off as something I would want to delve into to learn more about, in fact... "If I have to do research, then it isn't worth it" wouldn't you and many others here agree with this rational?

Note: Instead of taking this as a personal affront, use it as an analogy"

First of all, I would appreciate it if nobody delved into me. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to take that, but regardless it makes me wince when I read it. I'm old and frail.

Secondly, you apparently missed the sarcasm in my post. Next time I'll look for the sarcasm emoticon (does one even exist?).

Thirdly, for someone who is so dogmatic about booing because it's boorish behavior to a group (whether BD directly or the judges) you're rather boorish and condescending in your posts to individuals.

• Like 4

First of all, I would appreciate it if nobody delved into me. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to take that, but regardless it makes me wince when I read it. I'm old and frail.

Secondly, you apparently missed the sarcasm in my post. Next time I'll look for the sarcasm emoticon (does one even exist?).

Thirdly, for someone who is so dogmatic about booing because it's boorish behavior to a group (whether BD directly or the judges) you're rather boorish and condescending in your posts to individuals.

BOO!

• Like 1

I hope that boo was directed towards the people who +1'd her comment rather than her comment itself. Wouldn't Granny's feelings hurt. :tongue:/>/>

Thank you Shempy for looking out for me. I think between you and Normy I might be developing a nice little Posse (is that what the kids say these days?). I think I might be able to recruit Brasso too. Then...I could say whatever I want and leave the mess to you guys. It is just so exhausting to candy-coat everything I say.

• Like 2

Okay, now that I've been battered and bruised by Big Bad Bari I would like to float a hair-brained thought:

I actually think that booing (voicing displeasure) might, maybe, possibly be effective (I'm not arguing whether it's morally acceptable or not) in influencing the judges and/or other decision makers in the activity.

My thought stems from the 2008 season. I for one think the "fan pressure" had an affect on the scoring that year. NOW...before you start hurling insults at me (I'm looking at you Big Bad Bari), I have absolutely NO evidence, so please don't ask for any. It's merely a hunch as someone who was there. I also recall the very vocal pressure in the weeks leading up to finals week.

Do judges read DCP? I don't know...maybe some. Do directors? Yes. Do other decision makers? Yes. And DCP was consumed with Regiment at the end of 2008. There was a tidal wave of support for that show.

In 2008 there were the same arguments about BD, BUT...the difference between this year and 08 was that there was a general consensus and love for Regiment. I don't think we have that this year. Yeah, people like Crown but not to the level they liked Spartacus.

All that to say, while some may disagree with booing, I think decision makers and influencers DO hear it.

Edited by Granny Smith
  • Like 1

Mike,

You are caught in circular reasoning. The judges and BD are not the same entity (or aren't supposed to be), so therefore, the judges can be booed as well as the other entity can be booed.

To assess which is the object of the booing is really above most of our payscales.

No, I am not engaged in circular reasoning. I know that the BD and judges are not the same entity; of course.

I also agree that anyone, including the corps, CAN be booed. My disdain is aimed at those who CHOOSE to boo. They are not really booing the judges; they are booing the fact that the BD came in first; hence, whether or not they consciously intended to...they are booing the performance of the BD. That is MHO.

Any attempt to rationalize it by pretending they are booing judges is, IMO, just an attempt by the person to feel less creepy inside about booing a bunch of talented young people...amateur performers...who give their all in an effort to produce the best performance they can.

Yes, there has been booing at times throughout the history of this activity...IMO is was not right then, and it is not right now. The booers are the ones I hold in disdain, not the corps and not the judges.

I personally find the idea of booing at an event like a drumcorps show to be ridiculous, actually.

• Like 2