Pittsburgh Pit-Q

Just got back. Everyone's synth was too loud. Boston's staff was very annoying in the stands. Still a good show overall.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

• Like 2

Just got back. Everyone's synth was too loud. Boston's staff was very annoying in the stands. Still a good show overall.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Just curious, what was annoying about BAC's staff.

It was four Boston staffers, clapping loudly every ten seconds for every thing the corps did well. Ruined the ballad for me--totally took me out of the music and made me feel self-conscious about my own desire to applaud some things. And I wasn't the only one in that section who felt distracted: I saw numerous heads turning to see who was making all the fuss. Can't have been encouraging to the members who if they noticed the noise at all surely realized that only their staff was cheering. I'm not saying it's not a fine show; it was clearly the best show of the evening, and I had really been looking forward to seeing it, since I hadn't done so since the first week of the season (not even on video), long before they added the red. It would have been better without the nonsense in the bleachers. (Had I been a little closer, I would have quietly and politely said something to them, but I wasn't going to get up and add further distraction for everyone else.) I hope they're better behaved tonight.

• Like 1

It was four Boston staffers, clapping loudly every ten seconds for every thing the corps did well. Ruined the ballad for me--totally took me out of the music and made me feel self-conscious about my own desire to applaud some things. And I wasn't the only one in that section who felt distracted: I saw numerous heads turning to see who was making all the fuss. Can't have been encouraging to the members who if they noticed the noise at all surely realized that only their staff was cheering. I'm not saying it's not a fine show; it was clearly the best show of the evening, and I had really been looking forward to seeing it, since I hadn't done so since the first week of the season (not even on video), long before they added the red. It would have been better without the nonsense in the bleachers. (Had I been a little closer, I would have quietly and politely said something to them, but I wasn't going to get up and add further distraction for everyone else.) I hope they're better behaved tonight.

I have gone to a half a dozen shows this season and have noticed this from most corps staff not just Boston's . They come up in the stands just before their corps goes on, take which ever seat they wish including blocking the isles and view of patrons clap, comment and talk through their corps performance and the leave as soon as their corps is done. I agree it is rude and it makes it very difficult for the fans that want to enjoy the show, but seems to be a wide spread problem across the board.

• Like 1

I had the exact same experience in Little Rock. I was watching Boston for the first time and a guard staff member was a few rows away. I understand getting into the performance, but every 10-15 seconds, he would clap loudly, often, and for a long period of time with his hands above his head and this was not at the normal applause points you would expect. It was so out of place that soon everyone around that area was looking over at him every single time.

I was impressed with Boston, loved the guard, but this really distracted me from enjoying the show.

As a former staff member, I cringe when I see staff that are this distracting (not just Boston obviously). I'm sure I probably did it when I was a young instructor too, but hopefully not to this extent.

Edited by rmurrey74

I have gone to a half a dozen shows this season and have noticed this from most corps staff not just Boston's . They come up in the stands just before their corps goes on, take which ever seat they wish including blocking the isles and view of patrons clap, comment and talk through their corps performance and the leave as soon as their corps is done. I agree it is rude and it makes it very difficult for the fans that want to enjoy the show, but seems to be a wide spread problem across the board.

This has gone on for years, decades even, and there are so many Corps guilty of this, that there are too many Corps and staffs to mention with this behavior. Its terribly rude, and shows an unconcern for fans who paid good money not to be distracted like this. When I encounter it... and I have on several occasions with Corps... I tell them to sit down and be quiet. Thats has always done the trick. But Corps staff should not have to be told to keep out of the way and to be quiet during the performance. They should know better. Its like other rude behaviours we see at shows, ie people on cell phones, people talking, or trying to get into their seat during the middle of the performance, or people that took little infants to the shows and their crying, and other such instances of unconcern for others in attendance. Rude behaviour is rude behaviour and its most unfortunate for the recipients of it.

Not to be too rude, but it's about time we, the fans, start kicking some of these staffers out of the stands when they get that way. I get tired of it. If you're going to crash the stands so you can see your f-ing show for the 12th time that day, then you'd better shut the f--- up. Allow the audience to react the way they would naturally. Don't try to induce clapping and screams. I get that you [the staffer] think you're supporting your corps, but you're really causing a distraction for the fan.

• Like 2

This whole subject was dealt with officially from DCI many years back, maybe a decade. I know because I took part.

This should NEVER happen at any show, local or regional, and the staffs know it. The problem is that DCI can't police the stands to prevent it.

As I was told at the time, DCI has to leave much of this up to the fans to report when it happens. Even at local shows there is a DCI rep on the premises. You should find that person and report the offending staffs.

Fire codes in most stadiums prevent anyone from sitting in the aisles, period.

Those offending staff members have no right to be in the stands, period, at any show. Their passes around their necks don't authorize them in the stands, only in the stadium grounds.

I've taken it upon myself many times to tell the staff to move or sit down in a seat and shut up. At one show I was applauded.

Heck, at our local show three years ago my seats were directly under the press box. The judges had the windows open and their talking (judging) was a huge distraction to those sitting near, so I politely asked him to either quiet down or close the windows (it was VERY hot). He quieted down immediately, then found me after the show to apologize. He said he had no idea he was being disruptive.

Look, those staffs didn't pay to be in the stands, YOU DID. The show host knows where his bread is buttered so, ABSOLUTELY, complain! Ask the show host to block the aisles on the 50 and, when you're in the stands and an usher attempts to remove the offenders, back up that usher with words of confidence.

There is simply no reasonable excuse or rationale for the staff to interrupt the paying fans' experience. They don't need to see their kids from up high at the performance - they see them from up high all day during rehearsal.

The more DCI hears from show hosts that this is going on again, the sooner DCI will get the word out to the corps and remind them of how wrong it is. But, if you sit quietly and just allow your experience to be corrupted by these self-serving cretans, the problem will never be addressed (who'll know besides DCP) and the problem won't stop.

SPEAK UP! It's your nickel that pays the show host's contract to DCI to have the corps there in the first place.

• Like 2

Not to be too rude, but it's about time we, the fans, start kicking some of these staffers out of the stands when they get that way. I get tired of it. If you're going to crash the stands so you can see your f-ing show for the 12th time that day, then you'd better shut the f--- up. Allow the audience to react the way they would naturally. Don't try to induce clapping and screams. I get that you [the staffer] think you're supporting your corps, but you're really causing a distraction for the fan.

Maybe you should send a letter to DCI and ask them to talk to all the directors about this issue. I have been to three shows this year in the Boston area and I have not heard or seen any Boston staff out of line. (FYI I have met most of them and they are great people and responsible as well). Have a great day.

• Like 2

Reminds me of the time I had the misfortune to be surrounded by Blue Stars staff near the top row at Kalamazoo in 2010, before they could control the mixer remotely, and they spent the whole show yelling into their radio to tell the guy on the mixer to move whatever up or down or whichever, and they'd get very excited if the amps were too loud or soft at a particular time, and yes, it totally ruined the ballad, and the folks around me kept shushing them, and at one point the staffer yelled out "Hey, we're getting JUDGED for this, okay?" Not cool.