Buffalo Wing Championships

Sorry if this is a stupid question...what does 'G7' stand for? I know it has to do with the top corps.

Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, SCV, Crown, and Bluecoats got together in 2010 and made a proposal called The G7 Report arguing for a lot of controversial changes to the DCI tour, to how corps are paid, and to DCI, the non-profit corporation itself. They also simultaneously announced they were proposing changes (though in vaguer terms) on their individual websites at that time (Phantom, Crown, Vanguard, Cadets, Bluecoats, Blue Devils, Cavaliers).

Here's the DCP thread about the G7 Report. The Tour of Champions series of shows from 2011 and 2012, which included one additional corps each year (Blue Stars in 2011 and Boston in 2012) came out of that proposal.

In January of this year, the same group of corps sent a letter to DCI's board asking for voting control over DCI. At that time they called themselves "the '7'". In that letter they also announced that they had formed a non-profit corporation called Music in Motion Performing Arts, Inc. that would be running the TOC shows of 2013 (at the time those shows were named "Music in Motion").

At the 2013 board meeting, the existing board stepped down, a new board consisting of half G7 corps directors and half non-G7 directors was elected for a one year term, and the Music in Motion series of shows was renamed to "Tour of Champions" again.

(I should write this up somewhere else so I can link to it whenever anyone asks...)

Edited by skywhopper

I just got on. Progress!!!

Hoping they get all the bugs tweaked in the visual and sound aspect by tonight's broadcast. Perfect finals week broadcasts please! ;)

Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, SCV, Crown, and Bluecoats got together in 2010 and made a proposal called The G7 Report arguing for a lot of controversial changes to the DCI tour, to how corps are paid, and to DCI, the non-profit corporation itself. And here's the DCP thread about it. The Tour of Champions series of shows from 2011 and 2012 came out of that proposal.

In January of this year, the same group of corps sent a letter to DCI's board asking for voting control over DCI. At that time they called themselves "the '7'". In that letter they also announced that they had formed a non-profit corporation called Music in Motion Performing Arts, Inc. that would be running the TOC shows of 2013 (at the time those shows were named "Music in Motion").

At the 2013 board meeting, the existing board stepped down, a new board consisting of half G7 corps directors and half non-G7 directors was elected for a one year term, and the Music in Motion series of shows was renamed to "Tour of Champions" again.

(I should write this up somewhere else so I can link to it whenever anyone asks...)

Just hit the G7 key on your computer and it will appear. (next to the F7)

• Like 1

Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, SCV, Crown, and Bluecoats got together in 2010 and made a proposal called The G7 Report arguing for a lot of controversial changes to the DCI tour, to how corps are paid, and to DCI, the non-profit corporation itself. And here's the DCP thread about it. The Tour of Champions series of shows from 2011 and 2012 came out of that proposal.

Thank you! thumbup.gif

Count for what? A TOC trophy? Does it really matter? It's not exactly the Stanley Cup now, is it?

My take: TOC awarding its own championship trophy this year is a very bad sign for the future of DCI... and that includes G7. I do not see the activity surviving a true split. Some people will choose sides and not support the other one... and that includes me. I love the quality of G7 but cannot tolerate the attitude which is directly opposed to the letter and spirit of the DCI Constitution. There aren't enough fans to sustain a split.

• Like 1

Flash player kinda sucks on FN, in my experience.