Massillon Maxixe

Having a little bit of trouble visualizing anybody outside that group of four at the top breaking a 96.4 this year. Maybe at Semis with a drop at Finals, but I think the highest 5th is getting is somewhere lower than 95.75. There's just too much of a gap between that group of two and the top group.

What is the meaning of the little girl's red balloon that startles the tenor player, is popped by another member, and then restored to her?

These are presented as key moments of Bloo's show (which I'm quite fond of), so they can't be passed off as unimportant to the theme.

I have no clue. But I haven't thought about it that much. I didn't realize it was a key moment. I'll have to look for it next time I see the show. (I've never even noticed.)

I'm not sure I can think of one show this season, or in previous years for that matter, that has a theme easy to follow with the exception of perhaps SCV because pretty much everyone knows of Le Miz. I get snippets of Americana from Bloo's show. What else is there to get?

What is the meaning of the little girl's red balloon that startles the tenor player, is popped by another member, and then restored to her?

These are presented as key moments of Bloo's show (which I'm quite fond of), so they can't be passed off as unimportant to the theme.

I have no clue. But I haven't thought about it that much. I didn't realize it was a key moment. I'll have to look for it next time I see the show. (I've never even noticed.)

I'm not sure when 'coats added the popping of the balloon to the show, because I don't remember it happening in Akron, but it was prominent enough last night that I heard quite a few audience members saying "awww" after it happened.

I'm thrilled to hear everyone performed so well. That's what we really want...for every corps to just knock it out of the park, then may the best win. No fun to have a corps win because another blew it--for anyone really. And an appreciative crowd that applauds everyone is just icing on the cake. Wish I could have been there.

It sure seems like the judging panels are influencing the numbers more than I remember in the past. Perhaps it is totally performance based, but seeing this big a change in numbers, especially Cadets makes me worry that inconsistent judging will have an impact.

Someone said in another thread a month ago that they thought this was a dissapointing season and I just can't for the life of me see that. This is the best 3 (maybe 4) horse race we've really seen in years in terms of nobody going undefeated and corps swapping positions at the top. It's great that the title isn't a foregone conclusion like years past. And the other shows I've seen this year including on VOD are just really great.

I'm ecstatic about the cinecast tommorrow. I really would be thrilled to see Crown or Cadets win, but regardless of who wins this will be a season to remember. Thanks for the reviews and the tweets. That's really selfless of you all to help the rest of us feel we are present.

I'm not sure when 'coats added the popping of the balloon to the show, because I don't remember it happening in Akron, but it was prominent enough last night that I heard quite a few audience members saying "awww" after it happened.

They also made a big deal of the guy giving her a new red balloon at the end of the opener (which, in my opinion, is the best music of their show). The two seem to be portrayed as a couple during the ballad with all the picnic blankets, too.

That must have been one HELL of a red balloon. :P

I'm thrilled to hear everyone performed so well. That's what we really want...for every corps to just knock it out of the park, then may the best win. No fun to have a corps win because another blew it--for anyone really. And an appreciative crowd that applauds everyone is just icing on the cake. Wish I could have been there.

It sure seems like the judging panels are influencing the numbers more than I remember in the past. Perhaps it is totally performance based, but seeing this big a change in numbers, especially Cadets makes me worry that inconsistent judging will have an impact.

Someone said in another thread a month ago that they thought this was a dissapointing season and I just can't for the life of me see that. This is the best 3 (maybe 4) horse race we've really seen in years in terms of nobody going undefeated and corps swapping positions at the top. It's great that the title isn't a foregone conclusion like years past. And the other shows I've seen this year including on VOD are just really great.

I'm ecstatic about the cinecast tommorrow. I really would be thrilled to see Crown or Cadets win, but regardless of who wins this will be a season to remember. Thanks for the reviews and the tweets. That's really selfless of you all to help the rest of us feel we are present.

I think it's more likely that both Cadets and Crown upped their game for tonight, being the last show before Indy. Cadets really got the crowd going, which is ironic considering how some people on DCP think that their show doesn't connect to the fans. When Cadets are on, they are ON, and both Crown and BD need to be ready to fend that off this week.

• Like 1

I think it's more likely that both Cadets and Crown upped their game for tonight, being the last show before Indy. Cadets really got the crowd going, which is ironic considering how some people on DCP think that their show doesn't connect to the fans. When Cadets are on, they are ON, and both Crown and BD need to be ready to fend that off this week.

Looks like BC was given a up lift as well.

Last night was my first time this year seeing Cascades and Carolina Crown (live or video). Crown's is obviously a great show (though I think I prefer the Cadets), but the Cascades were a nice surprise for a corps that scored 69.05 just two days before.* And by no means was it a performance that I was embarrassed to have friends see as their first drum corps experience.

*I had them with 72 last night, and they got a 72.3. I also guessed the scores of Oregon, Spirit, and Bluecoats within a half point of what the judges decided, and guessed Cadets and Crown would be separated by less than a half point, which also turned out to be right.

I would also throw out that the CROWD at the Massillon show deserves a little credit for the raised performance levels of the corps.

This crowd is ALWAYS one of the most receptive, non-critical, crowds on the DCI tour. They appreciate the work effort of all of the kids no matter the uniform they are wearing. Naturally the give a little more to their Bluecoats, but I saw a lot of smiles on the faces of the EVERY corps at the end of their shows last night. It's great to see them rewarded by the fans as they are in Massillon...even more so than I often see at finals.

Every corps last night, starting with Cascades, received feedback from the crowd throughout their show...not just polite applause at the end.

The stands were full with 7000+ fans that enjoy drum corps. There were a lot of high school bands in attendance. (I saw more than 30 busses just in 1 one of the lots.)

I'm sure the reception they receive not only helps the corps go into that next level of performance, but also has to be noted by the judges.

Congrats to the Bluecoats and the folks that help run this show.

• Like 1