Bluecoats get some publicity and controversy in New Jersey

As a drum corps alum I have no issues with the photos; in fact much of what I observed while in drum corps rehearsals was far more revealing. That said; we have to accept that when corps tour they choose to be housed in a particular spot, and they are in fact staying as 'guests'; and therefore as 'guests' they have an obligation and duty to honor the community standards where they are staying. A few times I can remember being housed at churches; we as members and the staff had no issues whatsoever complying with the requested dress codes while staying as 'guests' in those areas. And the requests were reasonable (shorts were fine but no 'cheeks' showing; and t-shirts which covered the mid-drift were fine). So while I have no problems with corps members and staff rehearsing in swimwear (ehhhh... seeing Ceserio in a speedo might be a bit much) I also have no problems having the corps personnel 'cover up' to community standards while being 'guests' in their house.

Sweet Jesus, Stu- how am I supposed to sleep after getting that mental image? :tongue: (That's going to be worse than the we're-about-to-go-on-and-I-can't-find-my-uniform-or-remember-the-drill dream. Waaay worse.)

• Like 1

The huge difference between the two situations you're describing is that the church asked you to wear a certain thing. All of the complaints are being registered after the fact by people who have nothing better to do than to judge other people that they know nothing about. I'm sure if Coats were asked by a host not to dress a certain way, they would either comply, or find another housing site.

I understand that the comments from the article were newspaper readers making statements after the fact based on the printed photos; and I am also sure that if the Bluecoats staff were approach with this issue prior to, or during, rehearsal they would have complied. But my comments are not directed to those who posted in the newspaper; my comments are directed to those who post here on DCP that this is drum corps and everyone (like Hockeydad) should just get over it and accept that corps rehearse this way. To me, far better to respect the community standards (because drum corps are always guests in another community's house) than to call them prudes and say, "This Is Drum Corps; And If Yo Do Not Like It We Will Show More Of Our Butt Cheeks!".

• Like 1

Sweet Jesus, Stu- how am I supposed to sleep after getting that mental image? :tongue:/> (That's going to be worse than the we're-about-to-go-on-and-I-can't-find-my-uniform-or-remember-the-drill dream. Waaay worse.)

Sweet Dreams! :w00t:

To me, far better to respect the community standards (because drum corps are always guests in another community's house) than to call them prudes and say, "This Is Drum Corps; And If Yo Do Not Like It We Will Show More Of Our Butt Cheeks!".

Many schools have dress codes that apply to outside groups. When I was teaching, the admin staff did a great job identifying those sites and letting the members and staff know. If we had to wear shirts, we made sure everyone did. It wasn't a huge deal. We also went the extra step of trying to ensure there was no public issue, if the corps rehearsed, say, near a public park or something.

I think a lot of corps do that as well. I'd be shocked if Bluecoats weren't one of them. I suspect the rehearsal field was out of the public eye.

The only people who should be expressing concern are cancer doctors worried about future cases of skin melanomas.

• Like 1

The only people who should be expressing concern are cancer doctors worried about future cases of skin melanomas.

So Boo; when you were a corps member did you slather up with sun-screen when rehearsing in your high cut swimwear? :cool:

Edited by Stu

I thought for a minute that these were going to be scandalous photos or something...lol...I really don't get the big deal or reaction...

This person seems to really be offended...unfortunately that is what happens when people that have no idea what they are talking about make comments about an activity they know nothing about. No different than all the ridiculous comments I've read from YouTube lately as well.

Reason1

"Honestly, their clothing, or lack there of, is completely inappropriate. Kudos to the one girl with a tank top on. Shame on the coaches and leaders of the camp. They probably like it and encourage it. To the parents, grow up and stop trying to be your kid's friend and teach them some appropriate conduct. I hope you know that perverted old men are probably eyeing your daughters a you read, this. I hope you are proud. I think it is a great activity and good for them for being fit and healthy but I'm sure they won't die from heat exhaustion with a little tank top over their "bra and underwear". The same goes for the guys."

So Boo; when you were a corps member did you slather up with sun-screen when rehearsing in your high cut swimwear? :cool:/>

To tell the truth, I always wore a t-shirt, a scarf around my neck and a wide-brimmed hat during rehearsals. Skin cancer ran in the family and I didn't want to lose any time with the corps because I was careless about my health.

To tell the truth, I always wore a t-shirt, a scarf around my neck and a wide-brimmed hat during rehearsals. Skin cancer ran in the family and I didn't want to lose any time with the corps because I was careless about my health.

I had an uncle who died of Malignant Melanoma. He had worked in outdoor construction most of his life without sun protection and it took it's toll. I pray that all of those sunburns I got as a dumb kid do not come back to haunt me in that manner.