"OFFICIAL" FINALS THREAD

I've known enough Blue Devils in my time to know the kind of people they are; some good, the majority bad. I was in a corps with an person who left to finish her remaining years in the Blue Devils and aged out with a huge ego, a major attitude, and bragged about the "culture" at BD. This person thought that the activity should revolve around BD and all other corps are completely beneath them.

Well that's it then....huh? One acquaintance of questionable maturity and grace....and you summarily assign that to an entire corps for years.......I think that's called prejudice. I could introduce you to a bunch of BD alums that would make you scratch your head and wonder how could I make such a stupid judgement. And make no mistake about it....it is a stupid and thoughtless judgement.

• Like 1

Attitude for sure..... but ego? The background that you obviously don't know is that Brasso has been railing all season about the fear that BD would drag DCI down with it's "World of the Weird" designs in the wake of their winning ways. I viewed his post as an extension of that argument. Since you just had to jump in, answer this: If your a corps director that just finished a season after winning several major regionals and Prelims, then lost Finals by .25....would you gather your designers at the buses and tell them "it's time to adapt!" :blink:/>/>

No background needed—what you said was completely reasonable. BD lost narrowly after an unbelievably competitive season. That's not a sign of needing to adapt, not by a long shot, regardless of who we're talking about.

• Like 1

I never said that other Corps would follow the model of the Blue Devils at all. No other Corps has followed what Blue Devils have been doing the last 3 years at all. What evidence do you have that other Corps are following the Blue Devils ? Cadets ? Crown ? Crown did narration this year. BD didn't. Do you think SCV show, music looked anything like what BD has been putting out for shows ? Bluecoats ? Phantom ? Madison ? Boston ?, etc who ? I never suggested that if BD won this year that other Corps would adopt their signature abstract brass arranging style of late. Crown's music arrangements were not abstract this year, nor last year. The Drum Corps world does not revolve around what BD decides to do and then immitate that. It never has, and it never will. Thats because BD itself, to its credit, over the years has never boxed themselves in to one particular style, one particular genre and style of music choices, Visuals etc. My comments regarding BD is my hope that they find for themselves a vehicle that is more appealing to audiences thats all. Its not like BD has had a reputation for golf claps and yawns after their performances that we're now seeing of late. This loss of audience appeal is actually a rather new phenomenon for them. I'd like to enjoy their shows better, thats all. But it really is their choice. They can continue this path, or change up once again. I'm hoping for some change in direction from them now. They've impressed us with their performance abilities and abilities to do abstract themes and music well. Now impress us with the ability to become appealing again.

You make my argument. No one is following BD....THAT'S WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING. (Well maybe CC a little.... they are definitely more in than out of your "World of the Weird" this year). But fear that other corps would follow was your statement...not mine! Quite the opposite. And you sure as hell said it! Back in June you were foaming at the mouth about BD and their direction particularly when they came out of the gate strong again with what you thought was more of the same disjointed stuff (your description was much more inflammatory). I remember even posting how surprised I was at your hyperbole...I thought it was out of character.

About more appealing.....we have been down that road more than a few times and you continue to make the point that it's all about their design......it's not! As was suggested earlier, they have been 1st or 2nd since 2007(and #### near 1st for a couple of those 2nd's). It's understandably tiring in a competitive activity to have the same corps up there each year.....but you have to beat them to beat them. I learned this in 2010 when late in the tour the crowd suddenly gave up on the Bluecoats and switched their backing to Cavaliers,...you could feel it.....because Cavies had the best shot at bringing down BD.....what do call that? That's not performance appreciation....that's not appeal.....that's something completely different. You can deny it if you want. I am certainly denying that BD is not appealing.

Edited by Plan9

And now that they won with them and the second place corps debatably barely played music or marched drill....my fear is this will become drum corps throughout the ranks. I hope not though

I was more entertained around the 17-10th levels than some of the top ones

That's been the recent trend ( Other Corps are influenced by and follow aspects of the champion's style ) despite all the people who say otherwise...

So let me get this straight...you just missed winning the title by .25 and third place was 1.1 back from you.....oh yeah, it's time to adapt? blink.gif/> They were beaten by a corps that has moved distinctly in their direction, like it or not. The bigger question you should be asking is: Will Crown continue in the direction of BD? I know you and others want BD to get in to that time machine and trot out their best "Phenomenon of Cool" impression.....I don't expect that to happen any time soon. So here's my question to you, who do you think is more likely to change their approach....and why......BD, CC, Cadets, SCV, PR.......? I think SCV or Cadets are going to be heading in the direction of BD & CC.....and it will be awesome!

....but I just spent the second half of this summer saying that corps are going in the direction of BD, and SO many people on here have told me that I'm way off base.

Now you're basically saying the same thing I've been saying... Too funny, Plan.

To answer your question, I certainly think that the Cadets will continue in the direction of BD and go even further next year. I could see it in their show this year; especially with how the props were used. Also the arranging style was influenced. Crown did as well, even though so many people here have denied it.

I really DON'T think SCV will go that way, but who knows.

The real question here is what will Blue Devils do? I wouldn't put it past THEM to change their game. That's just how they ARE.

Edited by jjeffeory

Like I said before, pics or it didn't happen. I suspect someone either flat out made up the story about the BD member flipping off the camera, or has no idea what he was looking at.

I suspect what happened is he raised his hand with a number 1 sign, remembered at the last minute they were number 2 this year and quickly raised a second finger but for some reason that made the first one go back down.

• Like 1

The word is "over 2000" more tickets sold for Saturday night than for last year's Finals.

Excellent for DCI!

But fear that other corps would follow was your statement...not mine! Quite the opposite. And you sure as hell said it! Back in June you were foaming

About more appealing.....we have been down that road more than a few times and you continue to make the point that it's all about their design......it's not! As was suggested earlier, they have been 1st or 2nd since 2007(and #### near 1st for a couple of those 2nd's). It's understandably tiring in a competitive activity to have the same corps up there each year.....but you have to beat them to beat them. I learned this in 2010 when late in the tour the crowd suddenly gave up on the Bluecoats and switched their backing to Cavaliers,...you could feel it.....because Cavies had the best shot at bringing down BD.....what do call that? That's not performance appreciation....that's not appeal.....that's something completely different. You can deny it if you want. I am certainly denying that BD is not appealing.

You might want to stay with one thought you have and expand on that, rather than moving all over the place with several unconnected thoughts... just a suggestion for the future postings thats all.

First, I never, ever stated at anytime here on DCP that I had a fear that if BD wins again this year that other Corps would follow their type of shows of late. You can repeat this all you want, but I never said this, nor have I ever believed it. I posted sbnove that I see no evidence that Corps have been following BD's show designs, especially musically of late. So you might have me confused with someone else if you think that I said that Corps are following BD, or that I had a fear that they would.

Secondly, I make no apologies for stating that I did not care much with BD's show this year. But so what? Why do you seemingly have a problem with my expressing this ? Even former BD's have said as much, and in MUCH stronger terms than I've ever uttered here on DCP.

Thirdly, I have on several occasions with you acknowledged that there are some people that dislike the BD and would dislike them no matter what they did, as it has nothing at all to do with a shows level of appeal for this segment of the Drum Corps national fanbase. But I have also suggested to you that the much larger segment of those giving golf claps to the BD's show ( this includes myself here ) of late are doing so for no other reason beyond their reaction and response to the show that was performed in front of them that evening. No more. No less. People all season long erupted into spontaneous applause at the SCV show this year. What did this have to do with the Blue Devils ? Nothing. It had nothing at all to do with the Blue Devils. You make things a little more complicated for yourself than they really need to be, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Hate to rain on this BD-Crown pissing match, but I have a question (which has already been discussed at length and beaten to death on DCP, but I'm admittedly way to lazy to scour all the threads for a decent answer).

I've only seen Crown's show once in theaters, and I know that percussion was a major concern this year. I'm not a drum guy but what EXACTLY was the issue? Was the book poorly written? Was the battery simply not as technically proficient as the other higher-scoring corps? Or a combination of factors?

the roar of the crown when Phantom beat BD was louder, and it was an outdoor stadium

That fan eruption during the second place score was probably like pouring salt on the wound of a large, powerful, beast that was taken down by a hero of the masses. :thumbup:/>

• Like 1