Phantom's Percussions future....

Winds of Change  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Will Phantom make changes at the top?

I thought the guard was far and away the corps' strongest section, and the all-female thing is an asset, not a liability. Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

never said they weren't their strongest section, and I'd have to agree. said they were amazing. However, I strongly disagree that having only females is an asset. Not that females alone can't get the job done. I just prefer diversity....just as there has always been something lacking to me in an all-male corps, even with their best shows. I'm looking at it from a macro level and sort of a subconscious-general-effect level that a judging and number-crunching brain can't quantify or by having legalities applied.

And I'm not saying to fix anything, I'm saying to add to it.

Like I said, just one of the many things that made me want to go to sleep this year. I was speaking off the cuff and being knit-picky perhaps, and I realize it doesn't really apply to the original post. First things first, I guess. Anyway, what do I know.

• Like 1

Leave the guard alone.

But, yeah, there needs to be some sort of shake up in percussion. Even if only 7 MCM members came to the corps, the same teaching and arranging techniques should have had similar results with a different roster. How many UNT people came to Regiment and SCV with Paul? How many UMASS people to Blue Stars with Tom? You can't rely on the other ensemble to provide personnel to the drum corps.

Take SCV for an example. Yes, several Regiment people went with Paul that first year. But they should all be aged-out by now, and SCV is still vying for the Sanford each year.

So some of you want to shake up the percussion staff. Does this mean that you want to grab someone from another corps? Top 3 caption heads are not a dime a dozen, neither are top 5 or top 7.

never said they weren't their strongest section, and I'd have to agree. said they were amazing. However, I strongly disagree that having only females is an asset. Not that females alone can't get the job done. I just prefer diversity....just as there has always been something lacking to me in an all-male corps, even with their best shows. I'm looking at it from a macro level and sort of a subconscious-general-effect level that a judging and number-crunching brain can't quantify or by having legalities applied.

And I'm not saying to fix anything, I'm saying to add to it.

Like I said, just one of the many things that made me want to go to sleep this year. I was speaking off the cuff and being knit-picky perhaps, and I realize it doesn't really apply to the original post. First things first, I guess. Anyway, what do I know.

See that's just it. In DCI, the all-female guard IS the diversity. They stand out from everyone else.

• Like 4

As I understand it, almost if not all of the tech staff was replaced this past season.

I'm not sure if that includes the front ensemble but there seems to have been some discord between Shane Gwaltney and the techs who spend all summer on tour. Shane ended up replacing them for this season. Ultimately, it was the drum caption that cost them 5th place so hindsight can ask if the director made the right choice in keeping Shane or allowing him to replace all of the techs after last season.

On the general subject of percussion staff...

Crown needs to give Rennick a blank check and tell him to write the biggest number he can think of. Heck, he used to work there before he went to Phantom. His writing would fit completely and it would be squeaky clean. Hannum's writing works wonderfully, but it's not clean. Not to mention, as clean as SCV's been, they're sorely missing the groove that is so integral to the SCV drumline tradition. Rennick's writing, while great, is just about as white as it gets in DCI.

Once Rennick's gone from SCV, fill the void there with Mapes and Grom (the Pulse/Blue Stars guys). For multiple reasons like location, talent (they run one of the cleanest indoor groups in the whole activity, based out of California) and style, that would absolutely build a dynasty of talent at Vanguard.

• Like 2