The staff merrigoround

1376524004[/url]' post='3312378']

yup - the old staff went to SCV which barely beat them at finals... give it another year and I think Cadets will be in great shape

as other are mentioning in this thread - stability is HUGE

Vanguard beat cadets by 0.7 -that's a lot ore than "barely beating them"!!!!

• Like 2

Spirit of Atlanta's drill designer, Jeremy Hunt, announced via Facebook that he is taking time away from the activity to grow as a designer. Really wanting someone that will create new and exciting things for the other Southeastern corps.

I hope he let the members and staff know through a different means. I can't imagine Wayne Downey, Leon May or Scott Johnson making their resignation public via Facebook unless it was the last step of quite a few steps. Even then not sure it is best until the corps is well past finals. Let's assume this was the final step though it seems pretty soon since finals. Wishing Spirit the best finding someone who can take the next step visually. Been a fan of the overall the past few years for sure.

Edited by westcoastblue

Adding this here as well:

ScreenShot2013-08-18at111829PM.png

Yes, 'not that much of a surprise. After Rennick went to SCV, Phantom Regiment replaced Rennick with Gwaltney in 2010. Now he and Phantom have come to a parting of the ways.

Are you serious? The answer is so obvious: Ego!

Speaking from personal experience, I would argue that sometimes you don't know that a show won't work until its already on the field. Its not always stubborn ego. You're usually deep into spring training/band camp/WGI rehearsal season before you start to get a real picture of what the show actually looks and sounds like. Some shows seem like a great idea on paper, and just don't work the way you envision. I usually try to bounce my show ideas off of friends who I trust, and I've definitely had seasons where everyone I talked to thought my show idea was solid. By the time the first show rolls around, I realized I was wrong. But at that point, is it really in the kids' best interest to completely gut the show and start over? You've already paid a design staff to write music and drill (if you haven't done it yourself), you've learned an entire show, the kids are already bought in to the performance, you already have invested in guard uniforms, props, etc. By the time you realize the show won't work, its often too late to pull a 180. Sometimes the best thing you can do is try to make adjustments to what you have to make it work. I've definitely had years where I felt horrible about the design I put together by the end of the season. You just take your licks, and try to learn from what didn't work for you (and what did if anything).

Even the best designers on the planet (of which I am NOT one) are still human. Sure its easy to sit here and call them egotistical as they plug away throughout the season at a show that we perceive as a "bad design". But at the end of the day, not every show works out the way it is envisioned. Babe Ruth struck out from time to time. Jordan missed free throws and traveled occasionally. Peyton Manning throws interceptions. Life moves on, and you hope its a better design the next time around.

• Like 2

I was guard and marching tech 30 or more years ago. Designers were drill and guard writers. Horn and drum writers were called arrangers. Horn arrangers would often write their music on a piano. Drum writers added to the music and built their 2 drum solos. When the designers arrived in May, I told them of the corps' potential based on basics from September to March. The horse was in front of the cart : )