Gender Inequality

Traditionally, I like the Phantom Regiment a lot but I'll be the first one to admit that I've become increasingly less enthused with their shows over the last few years. I am a bit tired of their "formula" that is becoming a bit stale.

However, despite the overall impression of PR, one thing I have enjoyed is their colorguard (despite being a bit to... conservative for my taste). A few years back they went with the decision to return to an all female colorguard and they haven't looked back. Most people in the drum corps community enjoy, accept, and appreciate this change that they made.

How do you think people would react if a corps decided to go with an all male brass line, or an all male battery? Do you think they would be as enthused as they were when PR went with an all female guard? Or, do you think they would be upset that females in the activity aren't able to participate in these sections?

Now, I understand that the Cavaliers and Madison Scouts are all male corps, and I don't want this discussion to be about them. I'm talking about corps that have no "gender requirement" yet would make one for specific sections.

How would you feel if a female wanted to be in the SCV battery, yet instead they said "we're going with an all male battery-- you can be in the pit." Or, if a female wanted to play baritone in the Blue Knights hornline, and they said "we actually are going with all guys this year for the hornline. Here... spin this flag, instead!"

Now, some people may say that PR gets away with it because of how the colorguard affects the show. But, what if the Blue Knights came out and said "There will be a portion of the show where the hornline takes off their shakos and we want an all male look- it's for the show design." Thoughts?

Please note that I just pulled SCV and BK out of thin air as examples of current corps that have both genders in all sections... not foreshadowing or anything. ;)

• Like 8

Well, this is SCV's first year with a girl in the drumline since 2010, but that's more based on who auditioned instead of cutting people because of gender.

I think people would get up in arms about it. Color guard is "Mostly" done by girls, at least in the drum corps world. Most corps have a predominantly female color guard, Madison and Cavies notwithstanding. It's also in Phantom's history to have an all-female guard, I think the first time they had a guy in the guard was '05. So it's just kind of fitting for them. Although if they ever want to expand their themes out, they will need some guys in the guard to tell some stories.

• Like 1

I think it's a non-issue. Corps can do whatever they want with membership requirements. The organizations have that right. Obviously, most choose a gender-neutral policy. It's easier.

Phantom's all-female guard originated from a different era, but it's become a tradition that works for them.

If you want to talk about real gender inequality, bring up the almost total absence of female directors/program coordinators (one female director in all of World Class).

• Like 8

If you go way back to the first edition of Regiment (1956-65), there were a couple of years when they had an all-male guard. FWIW.

Garry in Vegas (and married to a Phantomette)

Corps can do what they want. But I think it's lame to exclude people for any reason unrelated to their skills on the field.

I'd like to see DCI and the corps actively seeking to expand the number of women in the activity at all levels--most particularly in the administration, design, and caption heads of World Class. Colts are the only WC corps with a female director, I believe. I think it'd be good for the activity all around.

I am very glad to see the championship corps this year having a female lead drum major. Has that happened before? She's awesome! :worthy:

Edited by skywhopper

Now, I understand that the Cavaliers and Madison Scouts are all male corps, and I don't want this discussion to be about them. I'm talking about corps that have no "gender requirement" yet would make one for specific sections.

I'm totally lost here on your question and apparent concern. If you are apparently ok with an all gender Corps, then why are you concerned if a mixed gender Corps went with a particular gender for a particular section for show theme purposes ? I don't get your concern at all here, nor where your question is supposed to lead. Even the all Male Gender Madison Scouts Corps chose one year for theme purposes to go with a female lead character in their Guard.... and rightfully, there was likewise no concern. There is lots of diversity in Phantom Regiment Corps make up this year, ( Although no persons of Color in the Guard are present this year, but it probably just coincidentally turned up that way, with no intended slight, imo ). So if the concern of yours is for females and males to have equal access to Corps in some fashion in the Corps, and not be denied entry to a section of the Corps by virtue of gender alone, then Phantom Regiment seems progressive enough and forward enough to me in this respect than perhaps the Madison Scouts and the Cavaliers. I think Corps can make choices as they see fit, whether its prohibiting females in the Cavaliers and Madison Scouts altogether, or Phantom Regiment deciding to go with a one gender Guard. I think this concern of yours is misplaced concern, and really have no idea what the purpose of your question is, nor where you were headed with it.

Edited by BRASSO