Recommend shows that have never been done!

I'd really like to see Carolina Crown do mvt 2 of King Fishers Catch Fire

Too loud for the Cavies. :lle:

Glass and Reich were featured this year and Adams has shown up a lot in the past few years. Obviously Stravinsky has been very popular. Shostakovich is not untouched. Copland has been almost overdone. We've had Barber, Bartok, and Debussy featured often in recent years.

As for Berg... didn't BD use some 12-tone music in their 2009 show? I don't see any hint of it on CorpsReps, but there was definitely something very Webern-esque going on out there. Maybe Opus 22 from 1930?

I'd love to see others as well. There's so much great material out there, it's always a little disappointing when corps go for the same old same old. That's one reason why Crown has been so exciting musically these past two years. Playing 21st century brass band compositions alongside 20th century works that have rarely been put on the field, if ever (Einstein on the Beach, of course, but also Fanfare for the Common Man, and Also Sprach Zarathustra, which have been used in drum corps but very rarely).

I don't think they used any Berg, but I will have to go back and re-listen to it. I just mean that these composers wrote so much, but a lot of the same stuff gets played. Everyone has seen shows of Rite of Spring and Firebird, but what about Stravinsky's other works? Or Shostakovich outside of Phantom?

Still think Schoenberg's Transfigured Night was one of the coolest ballads ever in Phantom 2000, wouldn't mind seeing someone else take a crack at it.

Forgot that Academy did "Alabama Song" this year by Kurt Weill. Another composer that hadn't been touched before. There was just so much music going on the first half of the 20th century that would probably work great on the field. Rachmaninoff's Isle of the Dead would sound good.

Still hoping someone will tackle Sibelius. Someone has to have had that idea at some point.

I don't think they used any Berg, but I will have to go back and re-listen to it. I just mean that these composers wrote so much, but a lot of the same stuff gets played. Everyone has seen shows of Rite of Spring and Firebird, but what about Stravinsky's other works? Or Shostakovich outside of Phantom?

Still think Schoenberg's Transfigured Night was one of the coolest ballads ever in Phantom 2000, wouldn't mind seeing someone else take a crack at it.

Forgot that Academy did "Alabama Song" this year by Kurt Weill. Another composer that hadn't been touched before. There was just so much music going on the first half of the 20th century that would probably work great on the field. Rachmaninoff's Isle of the Dead would sound good.

Still hoping someone will tackle Sibelius. Someone has to have had that idea at some point.

I definitely agree with everything you say. Sibelius would be awesome!

Too loud for the Cavies. lle.gif

which is why Carolina Crown should do it rolleyes.gif

That would be a very hard piece to score/write drill for/play and march. That piece is challenging for good college wind ensembles, and they're just sitting still.

Yes, but so is all of the music Crown has been putting out the last 2 years. Having played the piece in its entirety before I agree that the constant time changes would probably cause issues not worth working through. Still, just imagine how amazing it would be to have crown blowing the stands away with Lord Melbourne :drool:

Symphony #4 by David Maslanka?

Yes, but so is all of the music Crown has been putting out the last 2 years. Having played the piece in its entirety before I agree that the constant time changes would probably cause issues not worth working through. Still, just imagine how amazing it would be to have crown blowing the stands away with Lord Melbourne drool.gif

I feel the only movements that might be problematic from a movement standpoint are #3 Rufford Park Poachers and #5 Lord Melbourne. Lord Melbourne could actually be convincingly "faked".

Crown is the only corps I would like to see do this from a brass standpoint but SCV would bring the visuals.

Hasn't this been played enough?

haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate...