Pit Amplification Almost Worthless..You Decide

Hello all. Let me start by stating my opinion regarding amplifying the pit and the use of electronics. I don't like any of it. To me the sound does not fit at all. Really for many reason but mainly the sound just doesn't blend well in to the texture of the brass and other percussion elements.

Going back a bit (Ala 2004)

Some of the reasons (I believe) that a proposal was made and passed to amplify the pit.

1. To be able to hear the pit better and to bring out more of the nuances and subtle sounds from the pit

2. Allow members to play the pit instruments with proper technique and not pound the instruments.

3. Reduce the size of the pit

Now...some observations

Number 1: For some reason it hit me in Allentown this year. The electronics are (At many points) drowning out the pit. So if the electronics are drowning out the pit....what is the point of amplifying the pit?

Number 2: Some will tell you that some corps members are still pounding the pit instruments and not using proper technique. This is almost tens years since amplifying the pit was allowed.

Number 3: Just take a look at some pictures. Pits are bigger than ever. Sorry to be snippy GH...this amplify the pit thing was your proposal (I believe) and your corps pit had the most pit equipment and most members (16 I believe) this season. So much for smaller...... :thumbdown:

Discuss and flame away......

• Like 7

Electronics drown out everything, and cymbal crashes drown out the brass. There was no need to amp anything.

• Like 2

Pits weren't 'rinky tink' in the past, unless you go back to pre early 80's.

• Like 2

Yes, there was probably some obfuscation in the arguments for pit amplification. I understand that the then-director of what was probably the corps with the most talented front ensemble argued that amplification was unnecessary, that his corps was managing a beautiful sound without, among other things, the additional costs that threatened to put smaller corps out of business, or if they opted not to use the new toys, to competitive failure, since the judges usually love the new toys. That said, the counter-arguments you'll get will be that a) while sometimes the players do still hit their instruments pretty hard, they don't have to, and isn't it great that they have choices?; b) while most pits haven't shrunk since amplification was introduced, they could if they wanted, and isn't it great that they have choices?; and c) that while synthesizers (not approved until 2009) might now be able to cover the sound of even an amplified pit, that's just another musical possibility, and isn't it great that they have choices? In any case, the aforementioned director knew, once the rule was passed, that to buck the trend was to compete with one arm tied behind the back (I wasn't here in 2003-2004, but everyone at least seems to agree that was the phrase used, though DCP's search function doesn't produce the source), and while some will try to explain that statement away, they never have done so in convincing fashion. (What else could it mean but that the judges were penalizing unamplified pits? No one can say; they just claim the statement was somehow clarified, but no details are ever forthcoming.) Anyway, amplified pit instruments by themselves haven't hurt the sound of drum corps, even if they haven't helped very much; it's synthesizers that really must go. Arguments that drum corps are analogous to a string quartet, and thus marred in their essential nature by the addition of such noisome things as synthesizers (thought that does happen; see these comments on the Kronos quartet), will be met by counter-arguments that drum corps really are analogous to all musical forms, from rock bands to symphony orchestras, and never really were essentially brass-and-percussion ensembles in the first place. Or if they were, that they have "evolved" (when "devolved" would be at least as accurate at term).

See?

FYI, some people apparently can't hear bass synth, so be kind and bear that disability in mind when responding to them.

Number 1: I'm not sorry you hate it.

Number 2: If you are not a keyboard player how so you even know what is correct technique? If you look at all the top corps they play with exceptional technique and YES amplifying the pit has helped that along. The one thing people don't understand is that amplifying pit doesn't mean they don't have to play loudly or high it allows the entire spectrum of technique and sound to sound correct from far away.

Number 3: The number of people you have in the pit is not just about volume but colors and harmonies aswell. Cadets pit had the same number of keyboard players and synth players as every other top pit in DCI. If there numbers were actually 1 or 2 people more its because of there timpani and rack players who's certain colors are changed from far away without the help of amplification.

Number 4: Amplifyed Front Ensembles with electronics are ####### amazing and Pits have never sounded better than they do now. NEVER. There is no valid argument to dispute this otherwise. I cannot believe that people want to return to the rinky tink pits of the past.

Right on! He is so right. Listen to the Semi's sound quality of BD 2013. it is amazing!

• Like 1

Number 1: I'm not sorry you hate it.

Number 2: If you are not a keyboard player how so you even know what is correct technique? If you look at all the top corps they play with exceptional technique and YES amplifying the pit has helped that along. The one thing people don't understand is that amplifying pit doesn't mean they don't have to play loudly or high it allows the entire spectrum of technique and sound to sound correct from far away.

Number 3: The number of people you have in the pit is not just about volume but colors and harmonies aswell. Cadets pit had the same number of keyboard players and synth players as every other top pit in DCI. If there numbers were actually 1 or 2 people more its because of there timpani and rack players who's certain colors are changed from far away without the help of amplification.

Number 4: Amplifyed Front Ensembles with electronics are ####### amazing and Pits have never sounded better than they do now. NEVER. There is no valid argument to dispute this otherwise. I cannot believe that people want to return to the rinky tink pits of the past.

:worthy:

• Like 2

Right on! He is so right. Listen to the Semi's sound quality of BD 2013. it is amazing!

Saw them twice live. A good show, but lots of annoying synth.

• Like 2

Yes, there was probably some obfuscation in the arguments for pit amplification. I understand that the then-director of what was probably the corps with the most talented front ensemble argued that amplification was unnecessary, that his corps was managing a beautiful sound without, among other things, the additional costs that threatened to put smaller corps out of business, or if they opted not to use the new toys, to competitive failure, since the judges usually love the new toys. That said, the counter-arguments you'll get will be that a) while sometimes the players do still hit their instruments pretty hard, they don't have to, and isn't it great that they have choices?; b) while most pits haven't shrunk since amplification was introduced, they could if they wanted, and isn't it great that they have choices?; and c) that while synthesizers (not approved until 2009) might now be able to cover the sound of even an amplified pit, that's just another musical possibility, and isn't it great that they have choices? In any case, the aforementioned director knew, once the rule was passed, that to buck the trend was to compete with one arm tied behind the back (I wasn't here in 2003-2004, but everyone at least seems to agree that was the phrase used, though DCP's search function doesn't produce the source), and while some will try to explain that statement away, they never have done so in convincing fashion. (What else could it mean but that the judges were penalizing unamplified pits? No one can say; they just claim the statement was somehow clarified, but no details are ever forthcoming.) Anyway, amplified pit instruments by themselves haven't hurt the sound of drum corps, even if they haven't helped very much; it's synthesizers that really must go. Arguments that drum corps are analogous to a string quartet, and thus marred in their essential nature by the addition of such noisome things as synthesizers (thought that does happen; see these comments on the Kronos quartet), will be met by counter-arguments that drum corps really are analogous to all musical forms, from rock bands to symphony orchestras, and never really were essentially brass-and-percussion ensembles in the first place. Or if they were, that they have "evolved" (when "devolved" would be at least as accurate at term).

You may or may not have been aware but drum corps percussion had been ostracized by much of large Percussion community in the past because of manner of playing was so violently different. What was deemed acceptable and musical in drum corps was down right ridiculed in the concert world. While your characterization of counter arguments is centered around "choices" I prefer opportunities. By changing how the pit's sound reaches the top of the box behind 80 very loud brass members DCI has made better connections to the percussion world by validating their methods. Why is that important? Because it brings more talent, more money and, above all, more fans. DCI's connection to the broader music education community is probably not as strong as it could be but it's changes like this that really strengthen those connections.

Also a vast majority of competitive high school bands now utilize electronics since they are relatively inexpensive and are certainly less expensive than the cost of a new marimba.

• Like 6