Pit Amplification Almost Worthless..You Decide

I can see some of the validity of amping the acoustic instruments in the pit, except for one thing: "Ooh!! Now I can write a zillion-billion runs in the pit that never stop no matter what's happening on the field!!"

I haven't seen a live show since 2007 before watching all of quarter-finals this year. The difference is staggering, and annoying. There is no timbral clarity when everything keeps happening all of the time. Great snare/tenor/brass features, etc. do not need non-stop marimba runs for accompainment. It also lessens the value of the mallet player's abilities when all they do is amazing runs that are so ubiquitous that they no longer matter.

Go back and listen to even the mid-2000's and hear the difference when there was musical clarity (or--one of my favorite musical presentations--BD 2000...amazing clarity of writing full ensemble vs. feature moments).

As for the goo of added bass/brass patches...BLECH!!! Some of the top 12 need to just fold up their hornlines and quit pretending. When I can hear every brass part doubled on a synth in a corps with a top 4 hornline? Nope, no respect.

Flame away...

• Like 1

Yeah, count this guy in as a dinosaur who's actually now sold on pit amplification. Don't, however, get me started on synth doubling brass parts, mic-ing brass soloists, and all the other "improvements". And will I ever be able to un-hear that EWI?!

I can see some of the validity of amping the acoustic instruments in the pit, except for one thing: "Ooh!! Now I can write a zillion-billion runs in the pit that never stop no matter what's happening on the field!!"

I haven't seen a live show since 2007 before watching all of quarter-finals this year. The difference is staggering, and annoying. There is no timbral clarity when everything keeps happening all of the time. Great snare/tenor/brass features, etc. do not need non-stop marimba runs for accompainment. It also lessens the value of the mallet player's abilities when all they do is amazing runs that are so ubiquitous that they no longer matter.

Go back and listen to even the mid-2000's and hear the difference when there was musical clarity (or--one of my favorite musical presentations--BD 2000...amazing clarity of writing full ensemble vs. feature moments).

As for the goo of added bass/brass patches...BLECH!!! Some of the top 12 need to just fold up their hornlines and quit pretending. When I can hear every brass part doubled on a synth in a corps with a top 4 hornline? Nope, no respect.

Flame away...

Listen to Cadets and SCV and tell me again how pits only play non-stop runs.

All I'll add is that on Friday I spoke with the battery writer for a top-4 drumline (that's as much identity as I'll give) who agreed wholeheartedly with the idea that there is too much clutter from most pits. Some do it better than others, for sure.

Do you have the actual proposals? Those items were not in the quote earlier in the thread.

I did a web search, but I couldn't find 2003 when it went through. I do remember it being more detailed than the one from the year before. And I do remember many articles supporting the vote where all kinds of claims were made we haven't seen.

I did a web search, but I couldn't find 2003 when it went through. I do remember it being more detailed than the one from the year before. And I do remember many articles supporting the vote where all kinds of claims were made we haven't seen.

Not a prob. It is not important. I just want to make sure we separate the proposal itself from the noise around it when making claims either way.

I did find this though:

http://www.mbdcplaza.freehomepage.com/

scroll down...Hop says it's not a gateway to electronic instruments. chuckle

Not a prob. It is not important. I just want to make sure we separate the proposal itself from the noise around it when making claims either way.

I agree...it may have been in his interviews after he submitted it. Either way, a lot of hot air was blown about all it could do, especially to lessen costs, and it hasn't happened.