Drum judges

I think Jeff Prosperie is the best percussion judge DCI has. He seems to judge thoroughly and honestly....and by the way, I dig the fact that percussion judges aren't afraid to call it as they see it. I've listened to scv and cadets tape twice, and he is thorough in each section. He called Cadets bass line the heart and soul and the line....he spent time with scv's cymbal line and had comments. The dude hits everything, no section can hide from him.

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 2

I think Jeff Prosperie is the best percussion judge DCI has. He seems to judge thoroughly and honestly....and by the way, I dig the fact that percussion judges aren't afraid to call it as they see it. I've listened to scv and cadets tape twice, and he is thorough in each section. He called Cadets bass line the heart and soul and the line....he spent time with scv's cymbal line and had comments. The dude hits everything, no section can hide from him.

Properie never seemed afraid to give out high scores to corps that went on early this year (see Boston coming in 4th in drums in Allentown, etc...) or drop a corps that normally does well but had a bad night. More judges like him would be welcome. thumbup.gif

It does seem that the percussion judges tend to focus more on the battery than the pit, which I think is a shame.

It is impossible for one judge to completely cover all segments. The most we can hope for is adequate sampling. Yes, it would be nice if the pit "received more attention", but then the battery would go unjudged.

It does seem that the percussion judges tend to focus more on the battery than the pit, which I think is a shame.

Did DCI used to have two percussion judges for big shows? When did that stop?

part of the problem is once you get out there, it's tough to get back up front.

and Jeff's reads are incredible.

• Like 1

Show Before The Show, and Youtube shares and what-not are not surprising.

But this one? The ability to share unsecured directly from Competition Suite!? :blink::doh:

• Like 1

Show Before The Show, and Youtube shares and what-not are not surprising.

But this one? The ability to share unsecured directly from Competition Suite!? :blink::doh:

Bwaha, I didn't even look at the URL. At least the filename is a UUID, making it hard to find others. But the fact that the software does no access checking... why that'd be like if the Fan Network only relied on the browser's URL field, which is easily enough hacked, to determine if you were authorized to access their videos or not. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Bwaha, I didn't even look at the URL. At least the filename is a UUID, making it hard to find others. But the fact that the software does no access checking... why that'd be like if the Fan Network only relied on the browser's URL field, which is easily enough hacked, to determine if you were authorized to access their videos or not. ph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gif

FWIW I think this is entirely by design. It makes sharing the resource simple. Accessibility is a key feature in this case -- not a liability. Need to have someone listen to an individual tape -- send them the url. No need to give them access to anything else. And knowing the url does not compromise anything else in the store.

In the case of the FN, accessibility needs to be balanced with security. BTW in the earlier days of the FN it was trivial to share the stream. You could pick out the actual URL of the media stream right from Firebug. Now it's a bit of a bother to get to the raw video -- which is exactly what they want. You can still capture the stream ph34r.gif -- but its more trouble than most users are willing take.