First Show You Ever Saw...

Didn't want to hijack the "How Old Are You" thread but lot of people saying when their first show was and where.

My first show was Hershey 1974 (yeah DCA but How Old thread is on DCI side). My parents, sis and I went to the ticket booth to buy the tickets to find out the show is sold out on the concert side (8,000 IIRC). So we sit on the backfield side which was a great way to see how the drill was setting up, etc, etc...

Then retreat started and the favorite corps got knocked off....

Then the programs started flying which looked kinda pretty (and scarey :shutup: ) from the opposite side of the field. My parents had to have been thinking "What is the boy getting into now?" :doh:

Kicker is part of the show is online at www.cabs.org. We're in the blob on the back stands.

So when and where was your first show and memorable for any reason?

Ogden Utah, 1990.

I was a fresh member of the Marauders but didn't get to perform as I was still learning the drill. Got to watch the show from the sidelines.

My first show was Allentown this year and boy was it memorable. I distinctly remember my jaw dropping as The Academy, first on Friday, put those horns up and played. I had competed in the Cavalcade of Bands circuit in PA all 4 years of my high school career and I had regularly gone on DCI youtube binges all through college. I went to college for music and the bands and orchestra were no slouches. In fact I heard that a few trumpets marched during the summers. But I never had heard anything like that sound before. And of course it only got better as the night went on. I couldn't get enough. I couldn't hear enough and I never had time fly as fast as it did. I remember walking out of the stadium and realizing I had a dull headache and smiling like an idiot because of it. My band director through high school always urged us to go to Allentown if we could for the shows and I'm kicking myself I didn't do it before now.

• Like 5

My first show was the year I started drum corps in 1983. The show was somewhere in New York and featured Suncoast Sound and the Garfield Cadets. I remember one of the older members of my corps laughing because my jaw just dropped and stayed there. lol I've been following the Cadets ever since. smile.gif

My first show was the year I started drum corps in 1983. The show was somewhere in New York and featured Suncoast Sound and the Garfield Cadets. I remember one of the older members of my corps laughing because my jaw just dropped and stayed there. lol I've been following the Cadets ever since. smile.gif

That '83 Suncoast hornline was just bonkers.

• Like 1

Massillon Ohio. 2006.

I was an incoming freshman to high school marching band and our director invited us to go. Field trip and what not. Didn't know at the time that our director was/is the open class coordinator.

Looking back at the lineup there was teal sound, esperanza, BD, bloo, cavies, and cadets.

I only remember cavies and BDs show. The machine and godfather part blue. I remember thinking BD was from north carolina (duke university). I really knew nothing about DCI. I enjoyed BD more than cavies but wasn't immediately turned into a fan. Also i played sax so the all brass was nice but meh to me.

7 years later and DCI is my religion.

So it goes.