Dci at Lambeau Field Green Bay, Wi

It's of course many years ago, but my recolection from the field perspective was that we could hear each other just fine!...Again, my recolection was that it was a great venue and we had a blast! Maybe it was different from what the fans were hearing, but again, I remember that the fans were "WILD" that night!

Can't be anywhere as bad the the old DeKalb stadium, with that overhang.

• Like 1

Whitnall is a decent program (or was when I marched at the beginning of this millennium).

As for Lambeau Field, I doubt it would happen right away. You're more likely to get it at West De Pere or Aushwabenon unless you can get it as a ToC or a really big DI show. Now, there is a start-up group in Manitowoc that may be interested in hosting a show up there, but they're looking at DCA/SDCA to start.

UWEC played a halftime show at Lambeau a few years ago (my cousin was in the BMB).

As for Lambeau Field, I doubt it would happen right away. You're more likely to get it at West De Pere or Aushwabenon unless you can get it as a ToC or a really big DI show.

Yeah, I was thinking that St. Norbert's Schneider Stadium would be more appropriately sized for the area until there's more interest - it's new field turf with stands a lot more like other tour venues.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

Man this is an old thread!  Was googling something and came across it.  Replying just for fun!

Lambeau itself won't happen.  The field could never withstand that much foot traffic.  I had the good fortune to perform on it (Northmen '89-'91) during the annual ShopKo fireworks when they were held at the field. 

There *have* been DCM and DCI shows in Green Bay in the past.  Now ask me where they were?   Dang if I remember.. it was a while ago.  But we did host it and it was a really great time.

Housing is easy in GB, and there are venues where this might work for a smaller show.  Most of the smaller regional corps have folded, however, it seems.  Blue Star seems to still be rocking it out, so maybe there's still an interest in the south-west of the state.  Really was a hard thing to gain interest in for the GB area.  As it was, we were Northmen of Green Bay, but GB barely knew we existed, and we based ourselves partly out of an old school, and partly out of Luxemburg-Casco (director at the time was a teacher out there).  I brought some info back to my HS and got a lot of blank stares.  "you do.. what?"  I was able to use my experience to get my high school band to march a little better than cows on a field, and the learning of a TC Baritone had me also learn BC euphonium for concert band.  And I had fun freaking out the color guard girls at high school because "boy's don't know how to use a flag" even though I could handle one better than they could!

1 hour ago, MPiechota said:

Man this is an old thread!  Was googling something and came across it.  Replying just for fun!

Lambeau itself won't happen.  The field could never withstand that much foot traffic.  I had the good fortune to perform on it (Northmen '89-'91) during the annual ShopKo fireworks when they were held at the field. 

There *have* been DCM and DCI shows in Green Bay in the past.  Now ask me where they were?   Dang if I remember.. it was a while ago.  But we did host it and it was a really great time.

Housing is easy in GB, and there are venues where this might work for a smaller show.  Most of the smaller regional corps have folded, however, it seems.  Blue Star seems to still be rocking it out, so maybe there's still an interest in the south-west of the state.  Really was a hard thing to gain interest in for the GB area.  As it was, we were Northmen of Green Bay, but GB barely knew we existed, and we based ourselves partly out of an old school, and partly out of Luxemburg-Casco (director at the time was a teacher out there).  I brought some info back to my HS and got a lot of blank stares.  "you do.. what?"  I was able to use my experience to get my high school band to march a little better than cows on a field, and the learning of a TC Baritone had me also learn BC euphonium for concert band.  And I had fun freaking out the color guard girls at high school because "boy's don't know how to use a flag" even though I could handle one better than they could!

Just curious as to what type of turf is used on a natural fields such as Lambeau in Wisconsin.  Do they use some type of fescue which is a cool season grass?  Natural turf fields in the South mostly use Bermuda 419.  In late September early October we over-seed with "winter rye" during the 2nd growing season.  We now only have to worry about our practice fields as we installed 'field turf' in the stadium several years ago.          

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Just curious as to what type of turf is used on a natural fields such as Lambeau in Wisconsin.  Do they use some type of fescue which is a cool season grass?  Natural turf fields in the South mostly use Bermuda 419.  In late September early October we over-seed with "winter rye" during the 2nd growing season.  We now only have to worry about our practice fields as we installed 'field turf' in the stadium several years ago.          

It would appear to be a blend of Kentucky Bluegrass and synthetic fibers that were stitched into the soil after the sod was laid:

https://www.lawnstarter.com/blog/grass-seed/lambeau-field-grass-seed-green-bay-packers-100th-birthday/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Back in the day of Saint Vincent of Green Bay there was a heating system installed under the turf.  From what I understand sometimes it worked well, other times not so much.   

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, rjohn76 said:

It would appear to be a blend of Kentucky Bluegrass and synthetic fibers that were stitched into the soil after the sod was laid:

https://www.lawnstarter.com/blog/grass-seed/lambeau-field-grass-seed-green-bay-packers-100th-birthday/

SISGrass - kind if a hybrid system.  I love that Kentucky Bluegrass prefers soil temps from 52 - 62 degrees.  Definitely have to have a heating system underneath in Green Bay.