What's next in the evolution of DCI? Make your predictions here.

do you judge the a cow bell on the technical? a car rim when used for effect, a whistle or rain stick?

Yes; you can (and I do) judge a cow bell on technical terms, balance, articulation, cohesion w/ensemble, appropriateness of orchestration, etc. This is done for every instrument performed, and I suspect it is done by every judge in the business. The beauty of being a percussionist is that we HAVE to be familiar with hundreds of different instruments, and the proper technique and touch/approach necessary.

As stipulated by Jeff, myself and probably others, I would bet that a guitar, synth, etc. would be judged on the performance side by the Percussion judge, since the performer is in the front ensemble section and would be considered a front ensemble performer by the community. It's possible that a brass judge might comment, but the pedagogy involved with a guitar player is closer to the pedagogy of percussion than brass. And again, in the WGI world judges are used to evaluating synths & guitars, so the majority of DCI percussion judges would be used to critically evaluating those instruments.

As that pertains to current DCI sheets, you are correct - that would be evaluated under ensemble music (another area not mentioned in our previous answer).

No, balance and blend are on the performance sub-caption of both the Brass & Percussion DCI sheets

Yes; you can (and I do) judge a cow bell on technical terms, balance, articulation, cohesion w/ensemble, appropriateness of orchestration, etc. This is done for every instrument performed, and I suspect it is done by every judge in the business. The beauty of being a percussionist is that we HAVE to be familiar with hundreds of different instruments, and the proper technique and touch/approach necessary.

As stipulated by Jeff, myself and probably others, I would bet that a guitar, synth, etc. would be judged on the performance side by the Percussion judge, since the performer is in the front ensemble section and would be considered a front ensemble performer by the community. It's possible that a brass judge might comment, but the pedagogy involved with a guitar player is closer to the pedagogy of percussion than brass. And again, in the WGI world judges are used to evaluating synths & guitars, so the majority of DCI percussion judges would be used to critically evaluating those instruments.

this is exactly what I am trying to say , but it doesnt seem to be a good enough answer for some . Oh well, it is what it is.

• Like 1

The judges are pretty much the same. The judge that first wrote all by himself the GE caption( back in 1973 and subsequently approved by DCI) is still judging WC Championships week. He's a good guy. But you are just really kidding yourself if you believe there is not a " good old boy network" that remains in DCI. DCI is so ingrained in the DCI " old boy network " from top to bottom in the judging ranks, show design ranks, Corps Directorship ranks, DCI Executive Director ranks, Brass arranging ranks, Percussion arranging ranks, Corps music selection ranks, TV booth ranks, DCI Chief Judge ranks, Video and Audio producing ranks, etc where woman are pretty much non existent in key decision making positions throughout DCI, that its almost fall down funny when somebody says that DCI has moved away from " a good old boy network ".

well you are right, many of the same judges are still judging, early DCI not so much many of them are gone so yes there , to some extent is still the good ole boys club. As far as accountability, you couldnt be more wrong, how do I know this? I have had no problem ( especially with some of the good ole boys ) calling caption heads on them. They do have to answer more than BITD. As jeff said , it is way to easy to make a judges comments public and they have to watch every word they say because they will be called out on it NOT like BITD

These are of course interesting probing questions that should be asked, even if the questions make some people angry, upset, bothered or whatever. There has been NO answer at all on this thread as to whether it is rhe Brass Perf. judge or the Percussion Perf. judge that judges the proper technical profiency levels of the, execution, string utilization, tone quality,etc performance abilities of the playing of the Rock Guitar musical instrument by the Rock Guitarist Musician in DCI Field competition. And we have not even scratched the surface of the levels of training, experience, playing abilities, etc of the DCI judge ( s) themselves in the Rock Guitar musical instrument given their task of evaluating the performance technical ( not the " effect " ) abilities of the Rock Guitarist Musician in DCI competition. Maybe these are questions some have no need to want to know, and are fully content to not know how new musical instrumentations introduced into DCI are judged. They have no interest in learning how shows are judged. Which is ok, but then lets not have these people complain with the scoring and placements later, when there was no apparent interest in learning how the judging is naturally changing in a substantive way now that we are adding more substantive changes to the instruments utilized in the competition.

there have been answers, just not what you are looking for. So I guess the subject is kind of pointless . One can debate if they like the process of it or lack of but then you cant look for the answer you may want or to the degree you want.

this is exactly what I am trying to say , but it doesnt seem to be a good enough answer for some . Oh well, it is what it is.

Thats because you never stated above at all that the Percussion judge is judging the proficiency, execution abilities, technigue, tone quality, fingering, etc, of the Guitar instrument playing by the Rock Guitarist in DCI competition. You just made that up here now. If you reread your comments above.. without a rewrite now of those comments by you, one will clearly notice tht never mentioned the " percussion judge " involvement at all. ( oh well, as you correctly stated, it is what it is )

The analogy fails as we are not discussing a brief and ever so temporary sound effects made in a show. We are instead discussing a performer that utilizes one instrument, a Rock Guitar... throughout the entire judged field competition... similar to ALL other percussive and brass musicians that are judged in their technical abilities on the musical instrument they utilize in competition. Surely you can understand ( one would hope so anyway ) that a baritone, trumpet, snare drummer musician, etc is being judged wholly and completely differently from a " car rim " or " rain stick " or a " cowbell ", etc or whatever other brief sound effects a Corps might utilize in their show performance.

NO I do not see ( lets say a guitar used time to time in a show) when there is 1 of them it falls more under effect and technically or effect wise how it fits , how it adds to or takes away from etc etc........................I do actually see in time many of the technical going away, at least that's alot of the buzz i have heard behind closed doors or staff buses....lol