What's next in the evolution of DCI? Make your predictions here.

And" to be blunt", DCP'ers don't " need to know " anything, about anything at all.

This is a given as a matter of fact.. DCI can keep DCP'ers in the dark about anything and everything that they do. DCI doesn't owe anybody on here a thing. They really don't. ( and of course, nobody on here owes DCI the time of day either ). Some things almost go without saying it seems to me... but its good to reminded on occasion of the duties to each from time to time too, imo. It doesn't hurt... so thanks for the reminder to us all here.

well if DCI angers you so, there's always DCA.

who puts out far less material about the behind the scenes stuff than DCI does.

• Like 2

Well actually no... the answer is not clear.

Nobody seems to know for certain. Mostly. DCP'ers are guessing. We have heard several different possible answers, but thats about it. But we have at least come to an understanding however that DCI has no duty to explain the judging to the public when new instrumentations are added, and that we should learn be ok with being in the dark as to how instrumentation performance execution is being judged now these days with the new instruments that are being introduced with more frequency. I think this is the understanding we have come to anyway. If I have this wrong, then some poster can share with us where this memorandum of understanding is perhaps not fully accurate.

but conversly, DCI will probably be ok with staying in the dark as to why you stopped spending on them

well if DCI angers you so, there's always DCA.

who puts out far less material about the behind the scenes stuff than DCI does.

I'm not "angry" with DCI at all. I have raised questions that apparently " anger" you. thats all.. why I have no idea.. However, if you are angry with DCP'ers, there is always avoidance. Also, my question clearly has nothing all to do with any other Drum Corps circuit, so thats of course what we commonly refer to as a red herring.

Edited by BRASSO

but conversly, DCI will probably be ok with staying in the dark as to why you stopped spending on them

Absolutely..., this is of course most likely an accurate assessment for you, me, and every fan in DCI that might decide to " stop spending on them" shoulld one elect this option among many available to them.. I think noone can possibly discuss.. opps... " argue " much to the contrary on this point as a matter of fact.

Got a jet pack for me?

mouse-with-a-saxophone-540x435.jpg

Can I borrow your sax?

epic_squirrel_with_a_jet_pack_by_omkdraw

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm not "angry" with DCI at all. I have raised questions that apparently " anger" you. thats all.. why I have no idea.. However, if you are angry with DCP'ers, there is always avoidance. Also, my question clearly has nothing all to do with any other Drum Corps circuit, so thats of course what we commonly refer to as a red herring.

i'm not mad. trust me, if I was, you'd know LOL.

I'm just saying while DCI gives us some, to some that's never enough. Maybe they have valid reasons, maybe they don't. In terms of explaining the process, hands down WGI Percussion leads the way. DCI has made some attempts at pulling back the curtain, and that's a good thing. Could they do more? Sure. Will they? Dunno, I'm sure they have their reasons.

• Like 1

i'm not mad. trust me, if I was, you'd know LOL.

I'm just saying while DCI gives us some, to some that's never enough. Maybe they have valid reasons, maybe they don't. In terms of explaining the process, hands down WGI Percussion leads the way. DCI has made some attempts at pulling back the curtain, and that's a good thing. Could they do more? Sure. Will they? Dunno, I'm sure they have their reasons.

ok.

even in the so called black and white tic days, it was all gray. there was no standard list of what a tic was and wasn't, and everyones tolerance varied. worse, the sheets were nowhere near as standardized as they are today with specific criteria on them

you said it!! The tic system was actually way worse and extremely subjective . One hot mess back then. all you have to do is look at scores day to day not even week to week. Sure some called it exciting but it had nothing to do with corps getting better or worse it had all to do with judging and the lack of accountability as well as tolerance as you said.

As I said you and I have offered how something like guitar or whatever is judged or better word evaluated in relation to things BUT there are going to be many who still won't accept it. So nothing more to say on it I guess...lol

you said it!! The tic system was actually way worse and extremely subjective . One hot mess back then. all you have to do is look at scores day to day not even week to week. Sure some called it exciting but it had nothing to do with corps getting better or worse it had all to do with judging and the lack of accountability as well as tolerance as you said.

As I said you and I have offered how something like guitar or whatever is judged or better word evaluated in relation to things BUT there are going to be many who still won't accept it. So nothing more to say on it I guess...lol

1) both the tic system and the build up system do little at all to eleviate what is fundamentally an " extremely subjective " enterprise, as judges are being asked to do the impossible, ie compare and contrast whollly disparate shows, where even the instrumentation utilized in competition is no longer uniform. BOTH the tic system and the build up system have issues, with neither being better in my opinion in its attempt to make a wholly subjective enterprise, ie judging shows, any less subjective than it has always been.

2) the judges are held as accountable today as they have ever been... as the judges are pretty much the same judges we've always had. There are no recent provisions put forth that make the judges more accountable, and noone in DCI has put forth such a new policy for " more accountability " ( not that I'm asking for this... just pointing out that fundamentally these judges are held to the same levels of accountability as they have always been)

3) you ( nor others ) have explained at all what judge ( brass perf, percussion perf. ) handles the rock guitar playing by the rock guitariist in terms of execution, proficiency, string utlization, technique, etc. You have told us that the rock guitarist is judged only in the " effect, ensemble " areas. This much no doubt is true. But either the Percussion judge or the Brass judge judge the proficiency, execution, technique, etc of the rock guitarist musician on his or her musical instrument utilized in field competition. Otherwise this instrument would be the first ever not to be judged in the technical profiency realm. This has been true since the beginning of Drum Corps competition itself., ie judges in percussion or brass judge the proficiency and performance execution and proper technigue of that instrument played by the musician in Drum Corps competition. So you are incorrect when you state that you have stated if its in the domain of the percussion judge(s) or the brass judge(s) that handles performance and execution of the rock guitarist technical proficiencies, (quite apart from its levels of effectiveness on the effect captions,). You are entitled to state.. " I don't know the answer ".. but its entirely a different matter altogether to tell yourself that you answered the question and that the recipient of the non answer " just won't accept it " ( the non answer to the question ).

Edited by BRASSO