What's next in the evolution of DCI? Make your predictions here.

Live circus animals playing woodwinds, while zooming around the stadium using jet packs.

Throw in some smoke, laser and synthesized vocal effects, and this is a stone winner.

Got a jet pack for me?

mouse-with-a-saxophone-540x435.jpg

Can I borrow your sax?

epic_squirrel_with_a_jet_pack_by_omkdraw

• Like 2

I honestly have to say...I LOVE your well-placed sarcasm/cynicism. It's a breath of fresh air.

Yes; sarcasm and cynicism are totally what's missing from internet commentary now-a-days. Not enough vapid sarcasm: more is needed, as it is indeed a totally unique aspect

The answer is clear, then.

just remember though. like in effect captions, everyone get confused on alot ( even some judges ) and yes it's subjective ( as in most things in the activity ) So there will always be an ongoing debates, disagreements, head scratching etc etc. Those who need things to be black and white will not be happy for sure. The activity IMO as great as it has become in many areas is ALL very grey.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

I honestly have to say...I LOVE your well-placed sarcasm/cynicism. It's a breath of fresh air.

Yes; sarcasm and cynicism are totally what's missing from internet commentary now-a-days. Not enough vapid sarcasm: more is needed, as it is indeed a totally unique aspect

I honestly have to say...I LOVE your well-placed sarcasm/cynicism. It's a breath of...oh never mind

• Like 1

Also, to be blunt, DCP doesn't necessarily need to know which captions something is judged by:

And" to be blunt", DCP'ers don't " need to know " anything, about anything at all.

This is a given as a matter of fact.. DCI can keep DCP'ers in the dark about anything and everything that they do. DCI doesn't owe anybody on here a thing. They really don't. ( and of course, nobody on here owes DCI the time of day either ). Some things almost go without saying it seems to me... but its good to reminded on occasion of the duties to each from time to time too, imo. It doesn't hurt... so thanks for the reminder to us all here.

Edited by BRASSO

The answer is clear, then.

Well actually no... the answer is not clear.

Nobody seems to know for certain. Mostly. DCP'ers are guessing. We have heard several different possible answers, but thats about it. But we have at least come to an understanding however that DCI has no duty to explain the judging to the public when new musical instrumentations are added, and that we should learn be ok with being in the dark as to how instrumentation performance execution is being judged now these days with the new instruments that are being introduced with increasing frequency. I think this is the understanding we have come to anyway. If I have this wrong, then some poster can share with us where this memorandum of understanding is perhaps not fully accurate.

Edited by BRASSO

It is possible?

Is it also possible that the percussion judge will not comment, or not even evaluate? Is it, therefore, possible that the guitar (or any electronic instrument) is exempt from performance evaluation?

well to be honest, the percussion judge could discuss it, but with the wash of sound coming from the amps, it may not be as easy to catch stuff from the guitar.

It's also possible that since no one commenting that I've seen here is a DCI judge no one commenting here would have a 100% certainty over exactly how that is judged. I would surmise that Jeff R. is hedging his bet, so to speak, but saying "it's possible" and not wanting to speak with authoritative absolutes since he's not a DCI judge (just as my stipulation game with the qualifier "I would bet")

actually i know a few of them, and well, i'm hedging their bet

:tounge2:

just remember though. like in effect captions, everyone get confused on alot ( even some judges ) and yes it's subjective ( as in most things in the activity ) So there will always be an ongoing debates, disagreements, head scratching etc etc. Those who need things to be black and white will not be happy for sure. The activity IMO as great as it has become in many areas is ALL very grey.

even in the so called black and white tic days, it was all gray. there was no standard list of what a tic was and wasn't, and everyones tolerance varied. worse, the sheets were nowhere near as standardized as they are today with specific criteria on them