What's next in the evolution of DCI? Make your predictions here.

it's not like DCI set it up this way...well, ok let me rephrase it...it's not like DCI wouldn't welcome them. There's just none wanting to jump into the pool. But...one of the DCI office folks, Sue Keinhold, is probably the most dependable person in the entire organization, wearing a zillion hats and doing every one of them perfectly. In fact, I daresay without, DCI would be a bigger mess.

Sue is great! I've had the pleasure of meeting/talking to her several times over the years and she is great for the activity.

And from what my experience is, you are not exaggerating about the amount of work, and the varied tasks she does for DCI

Apparently I was wrong in the case of DCI. :tounge2:

Good form, MikeD

So Brasso, who are the women being shut out of DCI?

So Brasso, who are the women being shut out of DCI?

I'm fairly certain that there isn't some organized (or ill-intended) conspiracy to keep women from holding top jobs in the DCI universe. It could be a situation of generations of passive acceptance of the way things are and have been in that world. Similar to the world of cinema, where the lack of opportunities given to women film directors, cinematographers, and composers has been brought to the fore in recent years. In all honesty however, I do believe the sexism in that world of cinema is more institutionalized with all its negative connotations. I do not sense, though, that a female percussion arranger or drillwriter or corps director for a top 12 corps would really ruffle ANY feathers at the DCI meetings or offices, so I agree with you there. But I do get the sense that you're missing the larger point on this whole issue. In DCI, the roles of caption heads (other than color guard), arrangers, drillwriters, and corps directors do generally speaking all seem to be held by men these days, and certainly in years past. And I also don't personally know of any specific women who have sought these jobs either. But you seem to be implying that there are NO women out there who want these jobs when you say "women aren't looking to do any of this," and that's just awfully myopic at best, and downright ignorant (and sexist?) at worst. If you require a list of names in order to prove that women might be interested in such positions either now or someday in the future, then I'm afraid your attitude might be part of the problem. And I do think that the lack of women in those roles IS a problem, whether there is ill-intent to keep it that way in DCI or not.

Edited by seen-it-all
  • Like 1

Heres my take:

I think if a woman was talented enough and had the qualifications to be a caption head for brass or percussion, or be a director, and wanted the job.......we'd have seen it by now. I'm not basing this view on any sexist notions....I'm basing it on what we see in the activity.

I know many females that have teched at various evels of the activity, some still doing it. They don't want the job. I asked them why....they said "way too much headache.". They have the talent. They don't have the desire.

Especially in the admin end of things.....I just don't see women out there pining for these jobs

• Like 1

Heres my take:

I think if a woman was talented enough and had the qualifications.we'd have seen it by now. I'm not basing this view on any sexist notions..

I see. Now I better understand that your reasoning isn't based upon" any sexist notions" of yours, rather" there are just not that many woman talented enough nor qualified enough to do these things by now." ( ps... I also forgot to mention, that you said that women " don't want these jobs" that require "talent" and the neccessary "qualifications" )

Glad we could clear this up by now too!

Edited by BRASSO

Woodwinds? How about video over the trons to incorporate into your message? Pyrotecnics? Strings? All micd brass for amplification?

I think the biggest change in DCI Drum Corps over the next 2 decades is that we'll find many more women in positions of leadership, ie staff, boards, directorships, judging, show design, marketing, promotion, show sponsorships, etc than the paltry numbers of women we see today at the top in DC at present. DCI in the coming years will find sufficient numbers of woman talented enough, qualified enough, and motivated enough to take on these all important decision making roles to help forge the future of DCI. Its" progressive change " thats long overdue in DCI, and an aspect that few of the " good ol boys " in DCI can no longer continue to try and justify in their own minds, it seems to me.

Edited by BRASSO

I think the biggest change in DCI Drum Corps over the next 2 decades is that we'll find many more women in positions of leadership, ie staff, boards, directorships, judging, show design, marketing, promotion, show sponsorships, etc than the paltry numbers of women we see today at the top in DC at present. DCI in the coming years will find sufficient numbers of woman talented enough, qualified enough, and motivated enough to take on these all important decision making roles to help forge the future of DCI. Its" progressive change " thats long overdue in DCI, and an aspect that few of the " good ol boys " in DCI can no longer continue to try and justify in their own minds, it seems to me.

I doubt it very much.Maybe a few more than now but I really do doubt it. There has been alot of female talent in recent years and most I know do not want these positions. ( smart ).lol

I doubt it very much.

Time will tell.

I hope there are many more women involved at those levels. The band director I have been working with the past three years is a young woman who has marched Buccs and Cadets, and up through last summer was on staff with first Surf and then Cadets2 as a visual tech. Would she make a great corps director? Even in the band world she is still part of a small, but happily growing, minority of female band directors.

I think part of the problem lies with looking at who makes up the membership, percentage-wise...how many female battery do you see on snare, tenor or bass? Even brass lines have far more males than females. Until the base of females expands to a large degree, I thnk the percentages of leadership females is going to lag...hopefully it will follow your post above.

• Like 1