What's next in the evolution of DCI? Make your predictions here.

If she runs DCI why doesn't she have Dan's title? Either she doesn't as you imply, or she should have the title. If she truly does and doesn't have the title, that kind of supports BRASSO's point.

the title carries the responsibility and the last buck stops with Dan. No matter how much anyone else does the lack of the title carries less weight as well as less scrutiny. JMO. AS a whole Jeff is 100% correct IMO from staff to , directors, to admins. women as a whole do not want these jobs. I have hired enough myself that will only take it so far and then draw the line. Of course there may be a few out there that are exception BUT very few compared to men.

Two of the best directors in Texas, and probably the country are Females. Ammanda Drinkwater at Marcus (4 times in a row defending 5A state champions), and Kathy Johnson at Argyle High School (3 times in a row defending 3A state champions). Concert ensembles are no slouch either, 5A honor band finalist and I think Argyle has actually been the 3A honor band.

So anyone who doesn't think women can't do just as well in the marching world, you're full of crap.

• Like 1

Just rubbed the ol' crystal ball, all the while chanting incantations to the spirit of Nostradamus. Oddly enough, I received a

response...

2015: DCI, in it's efforts to once again reach a broader audience, comes to an agreement with PBS -- a pact which is contracted to cover two years. PBS, however, insisting on exclusive rights for televised panel selection of each year's "Summer Music Games" finals broadcast, brings back as host Steve Rondinaro. In a surprise to many, he will be joined on the panel by ex-Beatle Ringo Starr, and actor Sylvester Stallone. The resulting broadcast, "The Summer Music Games with Rondo, Ringo, and Rambo" will prove to be an unmitigated hit -- garnishing a then unheard of Neilsen rating of 58. In response, DCI unanimously votes to increase each World and Open Class Corps "royalties" by $25.00 ($30.00 to all members of the original "G7", but that measure is resoundingly defeated).

This in turn will prove to be so popular that the 2016 broadcast of the following year will result in the first televised Neilsen rating in history to eclipse 60. In further response, DCI unanimously votes to increase each World and Open Class Corps "royalties" by $20.00 ($25.00 to all members of the original "G7", but that measure, again, is resoundingly defeated).

2017: Based on the incredible success of the previous two years, DCI will come to terms with a major network for the broadcast of it's finals for the first time in DCI history. FOX Television will agree to broadcast the Drum Corps Finals for a 10 year period. FOX, based on the notion that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," retains the popular panel from the PBS broadcasts. However FOX, feeling that a little more pizzaz is necessary for ensuring audience interest and growth (and in keeping with it's well-proven sensationalistic nature), changes the broadcast name slightly to "An A**-full of Brass with Rondo, Ringo, and Rambo." However, since no discernible change, positive or negative, is observed in the televised ratings, FOX announces 3 weeks later that, in order to reach fans of cross interest, they will add Darrel Waltrip as a fourth panel announcer. There follows much conjecture regarding the wisdom of adding a hillbilly to the panel, purely for the purpose of screaming "Boogity, boogity, boogity boys...let's go racing!!!" Industry insiders immediately predict a severe drop-off in ratings -- at least among what Drum Corps Planet responders refer to as the "Dinosaur population." In any event, FOX undeterredly announces that upcoming broadcasts will be referred to as "An A**-ful of Brass with Rondo, Ringo, Rambo, and RoadRage."

2021: The Blue Devils, in honor of the book "2001: A Space Odyssey," create a 20th Anniversary space-based theme to their program, using "Also Sprach Zarathustra" by Strauss, selections from "The Planets" by Holst, "Fly Me To The Moon," and ending with a hard-core, driving rendition of "Blue Moon" (complete with 17 screaming Trumpet soloists - all playing different lines at the same time. This will hopefully elicit the predicted audience of 65,000 to stand as one, all screaming "We've never seen THAT before!!!!" -- all in perfect unison. And thus unquestionably cementing the Blue Devils' "masters of innovation" reputation). In efforts to resolve issues on the Drum Corps site "Drum Corps Planet" questioning the validity of their reputation as an "innovative" group, the Blue Devils produce the very first finals performance in history -- from the Moon. In efforts to generate an even greater national following, they hold their finals performance on Tranquility Base -- and incorporate the original American Flag, planted by Neil Armstrong in 1969, as an essential part of their closer. All of this, of course, places DCI in the unexpected -- and some less-familiar with the inner workings of the Drum Corps world would say, unenviable-- position of sending their complete judges panel to the Moon as well. This further necessitates NASA to reintroduce a shuttle-like program (at the combined royalty increases for all DCI member Corps over the past 2 years) for the purpose of transporting the judges. All of this creates an incredible feeling (outside the DCI member Corps, of course) of good will, accomplishment, and pride, and creates an economic boom like none before it in the United States of America. The direct recipient of this popularity is the second-term president, Hillary Clinton, who not only cites the Blue Devils and DCI for their role in regenerating the nations' economy, but also presents the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Brant Crocker and Michael Boo for their lifelong contributions.

The only negative result from the entire enterprise is that someone on the Blue Devils staff forgot to consider that sound cannot travel in a vacuum. This results in a totally silent performance. However, the sheer audacity of the enterprise, plus the innovative use of Corps movement in a weightless atmosphere (which comes as a godsend and source of ongoing pride and inspiration to past, present, and future drill designers and lovers), nevertheless results in the first perfect score of 100 in DCI history. This, in turn, results in the longest argument thread in the history of Drum Corps Planet -- a total of which currently stands at 13,656 pages.

Unfortunately, there is also a very secret investigation going on, studying the effects of opening one's face shield, for the purposes of performing on a musical instrument, in an air-less environment. All we know for now is that this investigation is currently being conducted through the CIA. Nothing more has been forthcoming.

2022: The 2021 champion Blue Devils (which for some strange reason, consists totally of membership from 2021's Blue Devil B squad) hold a prime-time press conference...shown not only by FOX, but CBS, NBC, BBC, and the fledgling FLBC (Fox Lunar Broadcasting Company) as well. During this press conference the Blue Devils announce that due to the economic strains resulting from the previous year's championships efforts, they must immediately, regretfully, and permanently cease operations.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

Two of the best directors in Texas, and probably the country are Females. Ammanda Drinkwater at Marcus (4 times in a row defending 5A state champions), and Kathy Johnson at Argyle High School (3 times in a row defending 3A state champions). Concert ensembles are no slouch either, 5A honor band finalist and I think Argyle has actually been the 3A honor band.

So anyone who doesn't think women can't do just as well in the marching world, you're full of crap.

there are plenty of women in the band world , the drum corps world is another story. Noone said women CAN"T do it. Actually to the contrary, WOMEN DON"T want these jobs.

• Like 1

If she runs DCI why doesn't she have Dan's title? Either she doesn't as you imply, or she should have the title. If she truly does and doesn't have the title, that kind of supports BRASSO's point.

every company has that one person that runs the show, but doesnt have the title. in my office, it's a 59 year old guy. on MASH it was Radar O'Reilly. on WKRp it was Loni Anderson.

honestly....I'm sure sue would love to either have Dans job or shed responsibilities. but given that the people that control everything with their votes won't change anything, I doubt either is an option. That's not a bad reflection on Sue....thats more on the people with the vote.

but every company has that one person, that never gets to be the top dog, but is the one that keeps the place truly running. in DCI's case it's Sue. if I see her in allentown, i'll be sure to ask her why she hasn't gone after Dan's job. Knowing what Dan has to put up with ( aka the BOD), I'm sure she'll say "no way in hell!"

• Like 1

every company has that one person that runs the show, but doesnt have the title. in my office, it's a 59 year old guy. on MASH it was Radar O'Reilly. on WKRp it was Loni Anderson.

Hmmm...Radar O"Reilly or Loni Anderson. Loni Anderson or Radar O'Reilly.

Real tough one there, Jeff.

Edited by HornTeacher

Hmmm...Radar O"Reilly or Loni Anderson. Loni Anderson or Radar O'Reilly.

Real tough one there, Jeff.

Radar wasn't a stunning blonde, but he could hear the choppers coming before everyone else could!