Reading and Bridgeport Scores Thread

Excellent first score for Heartliner. I am sure those kids were stoked at the size of the audience. I am sure they got a great reception! They will be a happy and tired bunch heading back to King of Prussia. Pennsauken will come up fast for them.

They were very much looking forward to that, Bill. I'll see how things went later today.

• Like 1

Dang! Is the Bucs score of 96.30 the highest ever pre-championship weekend score?

Yes, if CorpsReps and FromThePressBox are correct. A quick scan of those sites indicates these are the twenty highest "regular season" scores earned by DCA corps:

1. 96.300 -- Reading Buccaneers -- Aug. 24, 2013 (Reading, PA)

2. 95.900 -- Rochester Crusaders -- Aug. 5, 1990 (Rochester, NY)*

3. 95.700 -- Syracuse Brigadiers -- Aug. 24, 2002 (West Haven, CT)

4. 95.538 -- Reading Buccaneers -- Aug. 23, 2008 (Reading, PA)

5. 95.300 -- Empire Statesmen -- Aug. 29, 1998 (Endicott, NY)

6. 95.225 -- Reading Buccaneers -- Aug. 28, 2010 (Reading, PA)

7. 95.100 -- Reading Buccaneers -- Aug. 25, 2012 (Reading, PA)

8. 95.025 -- Reading Buccaneers -- Aug. 29, 2009 (Reading, PA)

9. 94.975 -- Reading Buccaneers -- Aug. 26, 2006 (Reading, PA)

10. 94.900 -- Bushwackers -- Aug. 29, 1992 (Millersville, PA)

11. 94.700 -- Syracuse Brigadiers -- Aug. 26, 2000 (Toms River, NJ)

12. 94.600 -- Rochester Crusaders -- July 28, 1990 (Verona, NY)*

12. 94.600 -- Hawthorne Caballeros -- Aug. 24, 1996 (Ansonia, CT)

14. 94.450 -- Empire Statesmen -- Aug. 24, 2002 (Toms River, NJ)

15. 94.425 -- Empire Statesmen -- Aug. 28, 2010 (Reading, PA)

16. 94.388 -- Hawthorne Caballeros -- Aug. 23, 2003 (West Haven, CT)

17. 94.325 -- Reading Buccaneers -- Aug. 25, 2007 (Reading, PA)

18. 94.250 -- Minnesota Brass -- Aug. 21, 2011 (St. Peter, MN)

19. 94.213 -- Empire Statesmen -- Aug. 23, 2008 (West Haven, CT)

20. 94.163 -- Empire Statesmen -- Aug. 26, 2006 (Reading, PA)

*The Crusaders scores look suspect, given that the eventual first, second, and third place corps were scoring about nine points lower than Crusaders (at different shows) on those weekends; Crusaders would end up in fifth. CorpsReps doesn't even list those shows, and FromThePressBox indicates there were only two corps there: Crusaders and Capitol Brass Ensemble.

There's a clear trend above of higher scores in recent years: eleven of the top twenty are from the past decade.

A gorgeous night for drum corps in Reading. Got to see/hear White Sabres from the side waiting with Fusion...the show was very impressive from my vantage point! Staged well and well played. That performance, even from my side viewing, deserved to break the 80 bubble. Nice job WS!

I should say, I haven't obtained his permission.

It's not like I asked and he turned me down cold. :tongue:/>

Well one may have offended lol.

I may do some posts from the stands at prelims

I don't know, but I can tell you that those numbers were all earned from every competitor at Reading, every tenth of it. No gifts, no inflation, they're real. Will get to the review ASAP. I'm just very tired. the drive to Malvern yesterday and back, and the drive today, etc. I can imagine how blown out everyone who competed is right now.

I agree - I would not have believed it iunless I had seen it - and I did. Wow!! I was on the 45 side two - 3 rows from the top. A great run show. The Buccaneers run two events and BOTH are great venues. The Downingtown show is a bit better for parking - ha!!

Random thoughts -

C2 really stepped up. The drum line is the strength of the program. Some the issues regarding their feet (full corps)are still there - I know they have everyone in now. Too many breaks with individuals regarding visual. The. Full season members have now improved immensely and now the individuals really draw your eye because the great improvement of the overall package. Sound of the brass is much stronger however the arrangement IMO is a bit thinner exposing some of the youth of the high brass. Soloists need more breath support the lack of support causing intonation issues at the end of each phrase.

Guard - at times - wow!! Still several different approaches out there.

Overall for C2 - big improvement!!! I still obviously like 1989 a bit more - age thing.

White Sabers - it's been said before - They are for real !!

Hopefully more later. On the road all day today -

CT May be toast for making finals. ..they needed to have a good show and improved score in Atlanta and they failed, according to their staff and members.

The situation is fluid.

Tampa Bay, Windsor, CT, and Heartliner are all in that middle sandwich of A corps looking for that 4th spot. If you throw in the towel, you guarantee failure.

Frank Dorritie taught me this 30 years ago and it rings truer than ever in this situation for these corps. You have NOTHING to lose. Perform and max out for yourselves and the audience, keep the pressure off, and do everything you can with a clear mind and heart. You just never know, and at least you give the fans something special and memorable, and a performance you will give for yourself you will remember.

Yes, I believe once they changed their travel arrangements for the cancellation, they couldn't switch them back again.

Nope-nothing to do with transportation. When we were notified of the cancellation, we passed on the info to our members. Several members made other plans for today (Sunday), so by the time we heard about the un-cancellation, it was too late because several folks had other things going on (jobs, family commitments, etc.).

We scored our highest pre-DCA weekend score last night and we're looking to set more corps history at prelims.

• Like 1

I was corps director of Cru that year... those two scores are wrong... if they were real - I would remember them well...

However, it was a great season and a wonderful corps...

Yes, if CorpsReps and FromThePressBox are correct. A quick scan of those sites indicates these are the twenty highest "regular season" scores earned by DCA corps:

1. 96.300 -- Reading Buccaneers -- Aug. 24, 2013 (Reading, PA)

2. 95.900 -- Rochester Crusaders -- Aug. 5, 1990 (Rochester, NY)*

3. 95.700 -- Syracuse Brigadiers -- Aug. 24, 2002 (West Haven, CT)

4. 95.538 -- Reading Buccaneers -- Aug. 23, 2008 (Reading, PA)

5. 95.300 -- Empire Statesmen -- Aug. 29, 1998 (Endicott, NY)

6. 95.225 -- Reading Buccaneers -- Aug. 28, 2010 (Reading, PA)

7. 95.100 -- Reading Buccaneers -- Aug. 25, 2012 (Reading, PA)

8. 95.025 -- Reading Buccaneers -- Aug. 29, 2009 (Reading, PA)

9. 94.975 -- Reading Buccaneers -- Aug. 26, 2006 (Reading, PA)

10. 94.900 -- Bushwackers -- Aug. 29, 1992 (Millersville, PA)

11. 94.700 -- Syracuse Brigadiers -- Aug. 26, 2000 (Toms River, NJ)

12. 94.600 -- Rochester Crusaders -- July 28, 1990 (Verona, NY)*

12. 94.600 -- Hawthorne Caballeros -- Aug. 24, 1996 (Ansonia, CT)

14. 94.450 -- Empire Statesmen -- Aug. 24, 2002 (Toms River, NJ)

15. 94.425 -- Empire Statesmen -- Aug. 28, 2010 (Reading, PA)

16. 94.388 -- Hawthorne Caballeros -- Aug. 23, 2003 (West Haven, CT)

17. 94.325 -- Reading Buccaneers -- Aug. 25, 2007 (Reading, PA)

18. 94.250 -- Minnesota Brass -- Aug. 21, 2011 (St. Peter, MN)

19. 94.213 -- Empire Statesmen -- Aug. 23, 2008 (West Haven, CT)

20. 94.163 -- Empire Statesmen -- Aug. 26, 2006 (Reading, PA)

*The Crusaders scores look suspect, given that the eventual first, second, and third place corps were scoring about nine points lower than Crusaders (at different shows) on those weekends; Crusaders would end up in fifth. CorpsReps doesn't even list those shows, and FromThePressBox indicates there were only two corps there: Crusaders and Capitol Brass Ensemble.

There's a clear trend above of higher scores in recent years: eleven of the top twenty are from the past decade.