Are Championships too expensive?

are not today's DCA corps required to hold/buy a block of rooms as part of the "Convention package" whether the corps needs them or not? Is it the same on tickets?

Jim, BITD, families became involved because papa was involved. Then there was a shift with no papas and few families. Today with so many younguns, many families try to follow little Junior.

yes, and smart corps sell the leftovers to alumni if they have leftovers.

Now let's be real...Annapolis, being closer to Baltimore and DC is higher priced than Rochester is. No doubt. Now Bucs and MBI were fundraising for different stuff. C2, well, they are requesting help, but, and this is not a slam, but YEA is always requesting help, they just tie the request in with different calendar events...so IMO, that may just be the angle they took.

No it isn't cheap. You have to get the corps and the equipment there, the hotel ( though I know many corps charge the members then for the rooms), feeding the corps, possible houuing costs for rehearsal facilities...yeah it's not cheap. Especially when you consider that the normal DCA weekend is shorter than Finals weekend is. Plus, as we know, stuff happens during the season that you can't plan for and it hurts the budget.

Worse, the corps don't get paid for the weekend until afterwards when share points etc are calculated, so you're waiting on money to come. I know many people have claimed a lot of this will be solved by returning to Rochester, but I'm not so sure. For several corps, it actually adds costs because of distance, and for some it lessens. I wonder what attendance will be up there as many people ( myself included) just do not want to go back there. It dropped a little every year. I'm Hoping the Fan Network canhelp bring in some revenue to DCA they won't get because of this...in fact, they'd be smart to air finals next year like DCI did this year.

I know I've debated all year what to do about next year, and honestly it's not even a money thing. I'm just tired of Rochester and the drive. I will for the first time in my entire life not be in attendance for DCA weekend.I could go and afford it, but.....no thanks.

I just hope going back up there doesnt hurt corps as well. Annapolis has been god, and IMO a lot more could have been done to make it better, but that's a different rant.

• Like 1

I just hope going back up there doesnt hurt corps as well. Annapolis has been god, and IMO a lot more could have been done to make it better, but that's a different rant.

Too much buzz going around about keeping the money closer to home. I would not get my hopes up about championships ever coming back to Annapolis. I strongly suspect I know where Championships are headed but that is a topic for another discussion.

Too much buzz going around about keeping the money closer to home. I would not get my hopes up about championships ever coming back to Annapolis.

Home? Home how? Rochester isn't home to anyone.

I'd *happily* play double what I'm paying now if DCA stayed in Annapolis. But like Jeff, the chances of me going back to Rochester are somewhere between very slim and none. I understand why they are back there, but I'm not going.

• Like 1

Home? Home how? Rochester isn't home to anyone.

I'd *happily* play double what I'm paying now if DCA stayed in Annapolis. But like Jeff, the chances of me going back to Rochester are somewhere between very slim and none. I understand why they are back there, but I'm not going.

Home as in the North East. Not neccesarly Rochester. FWIW I do not see Rochester getting the next bid.

Annapolis makes a lot of sense because it is geographically closer to the MAJORITY of the corps including the NE corps. But you can sort of tell by all the buzz that Annapolis is off the radar for another bid. It all comes down to money and who gets the money.

Sad as it was a great venue for DCA. Probably looking at another soccar field or baseball diamond to trip over.

I know I've debated all year what to do about next year, and honestly it's not even a money thing. I'm just tired of Rochester and the drive. I will for the first time in my entire life not be in attendance for DCA weekend. I could go and afford it, but... no thanks.

Completely understandable. For me, Rochester (4 hrs) is more than two hours' closer than Annapolis (6 hrs). I hope DCA puts a lot of effort into getting out the word in, e.g., Toronto, Erie, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Columbus, Toledo, and Detroit, all of which are within six hours' drive, as well as upstate NY, of course. I expect there will be DCI shows in many of those cities: DCA had better have ads in all their programs and/or time in the P.A. announcements. (And perhaps the programs for, say, OH marching band contests?)

Home as in the North East. Not neccesarly Rochester. FWIW I do not see Rochester getting the next bid.

Annapolis makes a lot of sense because it is geographically closer to the MAJORITY of the corps including the NE corps. But you can sort of tell by all the buzz that Annapolis is off the radar for another bid. It all comes down to money and who gets the money.

Sad as it was a great venue for DCA. Probably looking at another soccar field or baseball diamond to trip over.

well major stadiums have tenants, andyou are the mercy of their schedule. and major stadiums come with markets as expensive or more than Annapolis. Hershey's out, Allentown really has too many other issues that weekend.....not sure where else to go.

Completely understandable. For me, Rochester (4 hrs) is more than two hours' closer than Annapolis (6 hrs). I hope DCA puts a lot of effort into getting out the word in, e.g., Toronto, Erie, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Columbus, Toledo, and Detroit, all of which are within six hours' drive, as well as upstate NY, of course. I expect there will be DCI shows in many of those cities: DCA had better have ads in all their programs and/or time in the P.A. announcements. (And perhaps the programs for, say, OH marching band contests?)

you have zero DCA presence in any of the areas you mention. Sure an alumni corps here and there, but when's the last time DCA ran a show in Erie? Pittsburgh? any of those locations you list are all a disaster waiting to happen like Winston Salem would have been.

None of the regions outside the usual area have proven they can draw enough on their own to make up for the fans that would not travel to those place listed. In NY, you know there are NY/NJ/PA fans who won't go. in MD, you know there are NY/NJ/CT fans that won't go. Those are known. Trying to go somewhere there's little to no fanbase is.....well......dumb as hell.

you have zero DCA presence in any of the areas you mention. Sure an alumni corps here and there, but when's the last time DCA ran a show in Erie? Pittsburgh? any of those locations you list are all a disaster waiting to happen like Winston Salem would have been.

None of the regions outside the usual area have proven they can draw enough on their own to make up for the fans that would not travel to those place listed. In NY, you know there are NY/NJ/PA fans who won't go. in MD, you know there are NY/NJ/CT fans that won't go. Those are known. Trying to go somewhere there's little to no fanbase is.....well......dumb as hell.

I think he means DCA needs to get the word out about Rochester in those areas?

Although it would be great if someday there WOULD be enough of a fan base just that little bit more west to justify giving, say, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cincy, etc a shot! The Glass Bowl at UT's a great stadium, too!

Edited by grenadasmoothie

You have zero DCA presence in any of the areas you mention. Sure an alumni corps here and there, but when's the last time DCA ran a show in Erie? Pittsburgh? any of those locations you list are all a disaster waiting to happen like Winston Salem would have been.

Oh, I wasn't saying that DCA should have a show in those cities! Sorry if that wasn't clear. I was saying they need to make the most of being in Rochester by trying to attract drum corps and marching band fans in those places. It's too late for DCA to schedule somewhere else now, and we none of us want them to fail, right? You said last year that DCA ought to have done more to reach out to marching band circuits in the Annapolis region. I'm saying basically the same thing here, and specifically: get an ad for DCA championships into the DCI shows in at least Akron, Bowling Green, Dublin, Erie, Johnsonburg, Avon Lake, Massillon, and Pittsburgh. (Besides the areas where DCA corps are better known.)

At DCI Erie, I found myself sitting behind two current White Sabers members and next to a fellow who was an alum of the Rochester Crusaders--the latter lives in California but had been visiting family in Buffalo when somehow he learned of the show and drove down. So there's definitely a potential overlap in audience. If everyone who was at DCI Erie came to the championships in Rochester, that would go a long way to success for DCA. For that matter, DCA should have advertised next year's championships at this year's DCI Massillon show. Next year, they should advertise both the 2014 and 2015 Rochester shows in Massillon.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

are not today's DCA corps required to hold/buy a block of rooms as part of the "Convention package" whether the corps needs them or not? Is it the same on tickets?

Jim, BITD, families became involved because papa was involved. Then there was a shift with no papas and few families. Today with so many younguns, many families try to follow little Junior.

in my day there were no packages. the corps did what ever they wanted to do. what hell is going on? you have to buy some package? i thought this was america ?

• Like 1