What is DCA Doing Right? (If they are.)

I know this subject has been mentioned from time to time before; one of the oldest threads in this forum marvels at the number of corps all performing in one night in July of 2005. And indeed that does seem to be the peak year for corps competing on the field (i.e., setting aside the minicorps) at DCA championships. But there have been at least 20 corps competing in DCA Championships every year since 2004, something that had previously happened only once (in 1987). Here are average number of corps at Championships for each five-year period since DCA was founded:

1965-1969 -- 10.6

1970-1974 -- 16.2

1975-1979 -- 16.8

1980-1984 -- 17.8

1985-1989 -- 18.8

1990-1994 -- 15.4

1995-1999 -- 15.6

2000-2004 -- 17.2

2005-2009 -- 23.8

2010-2013 -- 21.75

Why the upswing in the past decade? And is this a wholly good sign, or is it offset by other kinds of decline?

Why the upswing? One word and one letter. Class A!!!

I know this subject has been mentioned from time to time before; one of the oldest threads in this forum marvels at the number of corps all performing in one night in July of 2005. And indeed that does seem to be the peak year for corps competing on the field (i.e., setting aside the minicorps) at DCA championships. But there have been at least 20 corps competing in DCA Championships every year since 2004, something that had previously happened only once (in 1987). Here are average number of corps at Championships for each five-year period since DCA was founded:

1965-1969 -- 10.6

1970-1974 -- 16.2

1975-1979 -- 16.8

1980-1984 -- 17.8

1985-1989 -- 18.8

1990-1994 -- 15.4

1995-1999 -- 15.6

2000-2004 -- 17.2

2005-2009 -- 23.8

2010-2013 -- 21.75

Why the upswing in the past decade? And is this a wholly good sign, or is it offset by other kinds of decline?

• Like 1

Why the upswing? One word and one letter. Class A!!!

Yep....

Also until mid to late 80s DCA was not the only Sr circuit. Some smaller (Class A now) corps went to Red Carpet and International circuit championships and did not go to DCA.

Good ol' RCA and ICA...

Yep....

Also until mid to late 80s DCA was not the only Sr circuit. Some smaller (Class A now) corps went to Red Carpet and International circuit championships and did not go to DCA.

Good ol' RCA and ICA...

I was just thinking along the same lines ... what if the OP was to consider RCA and ICA (even Northeast Circuit) as "Class A" for the early years and redo the numbers? Adjustments would have to be made for those who competed in both some years ... good one Jim!

:-)

I was just thinking along the same lines ... what if the OP was to consider RCA and ICA (even Northeast Circuit) as "Class A" for the early years and redo the numbers? Adjustments would have to be made for those who competed in both some years ... good one Jim!

LOL... less good one than my corps experiences.. IOW I competed in RCA and ICA....

Northeast Circuit... oops before my time but Westshoremen and Lancers were in Interstate Circuit but not sure when that was ended. And two members of those corps were on the initial BoD of the RCA....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

LOL... less good one than my corps experiences.. IOW I competed in RCA and ICA....

Northeast Circuit... oops before my time but Westshoremen and Lancers were in Interstate Circuit but not sure when that was ended. And two members of those corps were on the initial BoD of the RCA....

Ah yes ... the old Interstate Circuit was around as early as 60/61, if not in the 50's ... check some of your old BellaRosa Heritage issues ... I have at least one flyer from 61 showing Sky and Carver at an IC show ... some of their shows used to be Jr/Sr ... what a concept! ... LOL ...

I believe DCA is "younger" than in the past........more "all-age" than ever before. There may not be more non-DCI corps, but more of them are coming to championships. With those numbers being pretty low to begin with for a world championship, the spike up of about 5 looks bigger when added to 16 than if it went from 116 to 121. Also add 4 for Japan (twice), England, and Germany. Every little bit adds up.

What is more significant is that the DCA leadership has made every effort to put corps and entertainment first. The corps leadership has put their members and entertainment first. The corps instructors have managed to put a bar in place that seems to raise itself.....and THAT'S entertainment.

Let's face it, DCA is more exciting, more competitive, and more entertaining than ever before. People like that......go figure.

Don't forget Fran's shirts........DCA bold !

Joe

• Like 1

1965-1969 -- 10.6

1970-1974 -- 16.2

1975-1979 -- 16.8

1980-1984 -- 17.8

1985-1989 -- 18.8

1990-1994 -- 15.4

1995-1999 -- 15.6

2000-2004 -- 17.2

2005-2009 -- 23.8

2010-2013 -- 21.75

Since the late 90's DCA has seen most of it's growth outside of the NE U.S/Eastern Canada region which, for years, was it's main power base.

Gone are all the Canadain Corps ,Kingston Grendiers the last to loss.In all through the years thier have been 14 Canadian corps that i remmber ,.The rise of corps has been from the SOUTH .

Canadian Commanders

Canadian Ambassadors

Les Diplomates

Royalaires

Les Ambassadors

Les Odyesse

Les Cascadeuers

Les Clique Allouotte

Les Metropolitians

Regionaries

Grenadiers

Les Dynamiques

Kawarthe Kavaliers

OYB Lamplighters

Carolina Gold

Sun Devils

Tampa Bay Thunder

CorpsVets

Alliance

Shenandoah Sound

Cinn,Tradistion

Would be great if Music City Legend could make a come back now that they would be the only game in town.

with hopefulls Rocketeers .Praire Sound , Be nice to see some of the Texas corps make a return to completing

Austin Stars

Gulf Coast Sound

Edited by Florida Sun

Are the Class A corps now as good as the lower-ranked DCA corps of earlier years? The scores certainly are higher nowadays: in 1990 and 1991, the last-place corps in Prelims, at 17th, had scores of 58.400 and 51.600, respectively. In 2012, the last-place corps, at 20th, had a score of 65.530, while the last-place corps this year, at 23rd place, is likely to have a better score than that.