What is DCA Doing Right? (If they are.)

Thank Minnesota Brass and Heatwave for coming from a non-Northeast state to compete. Afte that Corpsvets, Renegades, etc.

• Like 1

Thank Minnesota Brass and Heatwave for coming from a non-Northeast state to compete. Afte that Corpsvets, Renegades, etc.

like jim and andy said. there were 3 other circuits back in the day. add all those up and ya probably had over 50 corps competing. all this talk about growth is all well and good and i applaud that but c'mon. there were many more corps that a lot of you never heard of. in 1975 RCA had like 20 corps.

• Like 1

like jim and andy said. there were 3 other circuits back in the day. add all those up and ya probably had over 50 corps competing. all this talk about growth is all well and good and i applaud that but c'mon. there were many more corps that a lot of you never heard of. in 1975 RCA had like 20 corps.

Until this thread, I'd never even heard of those two circuits. DCA and Garden State were the only two other than DCI. It might be interesting to get someone in the know to talk about the history of those other circuits in the historical forum.

• Like 2

Until this thread, I'd never even heard of those two circuits. DCA and Garden State were the only two other than DCI. It might be interesting to get someone in the know to talk about the history of those other circuits in the historical forum.

there is an awful lot you don't know. google it. it's all there . there is a lot of history and i don't know a lot of it. lisko is a great historian. maybe he can give us some of what he knows.

Edited by donincardona

This should give you a good overview of the RCA and its corps:

RCA Circuit

I also think there was a good discussion of the RCA circuit a while back on DCP ... maybe Jim remembers ...

:-)

Are the Class A corps now as good as the lower-ranked DCA corps of earlier years? The scores certainly are higher nowadays: in 1990 and 1991, the last-place corps in Prelims, at 17th, had scores of 58.400 and 51.600, respectively. In 2012, the last-place corps, at 20th, had a score of 65.530, while the last-place corps this year, at 23rd place, is likely to have a better score than that.

they are in many ways better.

Are the Class A corps now as good as the lower-ranked DCA corps of earlier years? The scores certainly are higher nowadays: in 1990 and 1991, the last-place corps in Prelims, at 17th, had scores of 58.400 and 51.600, respectively. In 2012, the last-place corps, at 20th, had a score of 65.530, while the last-place corps this year, at 23rd place, is likely to have a better score than that.

Just a "personal perception" viewpoint here....

When I marched in a DCA corps... 1977-1982... Finals those years, and for a number of years before and after that, tended to be comprised of, say, five to seven, maybe eight, excellent to very good corps... and two or three not-so-great corps.... not a knock at all on those corps from that era, it's just how it was.

I've found in recent years... for the most part... the top 10 in Open Class is strong from top to bottom, and the top Class A corps are also very strong.

Kind of like what's been happening in DCI... where the corps that are in the 13th to 17th-place slots probably would have been solid finalists not too many years ago.

Being absolutely honest... I still think the best Top Five I've ever seen at a DCA championship was/is the top five from 1972... which was a ridiculously good year for all-age (then called senior) corps. The DCA championship that year was one for the ages.

On the money, Keith.

Minnesota making that long trip East for many years... and then Heat Wave coming north from Florida for the first Class A title show in 1997... those two corps were pioneers, for sure.

That Heat Wave thing was huge. It opened the door for CorpsVets, Carolina Gold and so forth.

A bit different than an earlier era, when the Yankee Rebels from Baltimore were considered the "southern corps" in DCA.

Yep....

Also until mid to late 80s DCA was not the only Sr circuit. Some smaller (Class A now) corps went to Red Carpet and International circuit championships and did not go to DCA.

Good ol' RCA and ICA...

Interesting History.

• Like 1

What is DCA doing right.

From what I can tell DCA is trying to facilitate a finals venue for Drum Corps of the East Coast and Great Lakes area of the Country.

DCA is the mecca of the Senior/All Age Drum Corps movement. They also try to operate in the black which has got to be a challenge.

DCA also sets the standards for the entry of new corps into the DCA Circuit.

The addition of Internet access via the fan network is a good move on the part of DCA. I hope it generates a profit.

I wish they could franchise DCA to other parts of the country and have Regional Finals in other locations.