World wide block on DCI DVDs/CD...?

Drum Corps National

Wasn't that what DCI was first named (DCN), but during the founder's planning meeting the De La Salle director or representative said, Hey, What about us? So they crossed out the National and wrote "International"? Something like... I believe that I heard that on the Brass Roots program.

My, how things have changed, eh?

• Like 1

I'm in Canada. I paid for the DVD this year when I ordered the Fan Network at the beginning of July. The DVD I paid for has 12 corps on it. I will expect a refund from DCI for the missing corps. I would like that refund as soon as possible as since this DVD is already paid for, DCI has my payment in their accounts. Then again DCI, why don't you put the Troopers on the International DVDs to make up for the screwup?

Perhaps my expectations about customer service are out of whack. One might think they would send a message to International customers who already paid for DVDs. But alas, questions aren't answered and "Customer Service" gets someone else to point out a section on their web site.

There you go my friend. Put the Troopers IN! Such a good idea! thumbup.gif

• Like 1

The corps are responsible for the rights to arrange and perform the works. They are not responsible for the synch rights to appear on the DVD's and CD's.

Ah, but they should be!

• Like 1

This is correct. It CAN take forever.

See the last sentence I wrote:

We need to keep in mind that the corps are trying to win DCI Finals, which is judged live in Lucas Oil Stadium, not judged off of the BRD. While a nice keepsake, the BRD/DVD is not the goal.

That's a rather short sighted way of viewing things from these rather intelligent business people. ...and I believe that they're more than **just** simple keepsakes. I believe that they're used to capture the performances for posterity's sake. They're also used to teach judging of shows and the art of good design by various organizations and people. Corps can sell these performances to make some addition revenue. Yes, yes, they're also keepsakes; but that's not the only thing...

I think it is great that you do that. However, I think what most people are ticked about is that DCI should really be following up on customer service calls much more quickly. People should be able to call DCI and get the information directly from the source. We should be able to get information direct rather than have to wait on someone else who knows someone in the DCI offices to get an answer. And the negativity is not directed personally at you Mr. Boo.

I guess the way around the problem, would be to have someone in the US purchase the item, and then have them ship it to wherever it needs to get to. Probably a pain, but better than not getting the item you want at all.

They probably don't have the money to keep full time staff year round, but they could pay a service to field this stuff. Still, DCI is not raking in the dough...

That was a little too difficult to find.

http://www.dcistore.org/2013-DCI-Top-12-DVD-International-Option-Preorder/productinfo/DVD13T12ITP/

No BD show, and about 25 seconds of Boston's show was cut out because of poetry... blink.gif

Ah, I understand now: at this link, where the description says "This DVD is only available to customers who live within the United States", the meaning is not that no DVD is available outside the U.S., but that the domestic DVD is unavailable to international customers.

Note that Boston's poetry (a modified version of Maya Angelou's "Still I Rise") is also missing from the U.S. DVD. Since BAC changed some of the lines anyway, I think they could have come up with something original on the same theme that wouldn't have run afoul of copyright.

• Like 1

To the international fans and participants who make DCI International-

This may be a solution. I will gladly be the courier for your DVDs if you supply the frequent flier miles and TAXES for the flight, a place to put my head to rest, and some wonderful local cuisine. I have frequent flier miles surely, but those flight taxes back and forth across the pond are almost as much as certain corps tour fees. Then again, I think one of the more frequent and contraversial DCP posters from the Baltics probably could ferry a suitcase or two worth of these gems on his next flight. Maybe he is back in the States already as he is commenting on the LOS accident thread which I presume someone would not do prudently from West Russia.

To those in the Pacific West, I am pretty certain that more than one San Francisco drill writer will be hop skipping to Japan, perhaps Taiwan, and might do the same if you ask nicely. Really Indonesia, DCI is going to leave you out after you came all the way this summer to make their Drum Line thing truly International. Maybe Mr. A can bring some on his next trip. And Michael Boo always goes to China at least once a year... perhaps if you ask nicely.

Otherwise you'll have to ask Hopkins to rerun the Christmas show so that Santa can bring them worldwide.:rolleyes:/>

• Like 2

That's a rather short sighted way of viewing things from these rather intelligent business people. ...and I believe that they're more than **just** simple keepsakes.

Go on...

I believe that they're used to capture the performances for posterity's sake.

By attaining Permission to Arrange, each unit is also granted permission to make an archival copy of their performance(s) for posterity's sake.

They're also used to teach judging of shows and the art of good design by various organizations and people.

Possibly, but not really of the corps' concern because see above.

Corps can sell these performances to make some addition revenue.

This is true, but not done terribly often anymore. How many "Through the Years" CD/DVDs do you see produced and sold now-a-days? Not many, and it's likely due to the copyright game (although I don't know that for absolute certain... all I know is that since copyright became a ridiculous and over-enforced beast, there have been very few of these types of products sold by the corps). Again, this is probably attributed to the cost (both monetary and energy/headache) of the copyright agreement and production vs. sales of such products.

I agree it sucks, trust me. However, to the individual corps, the product of concern is the performance, not the video. The video is a keepsake produced by DCI, with the cash going to DCI. I agree it sucks.

BD has a lot of their own DVD's available on their online store. I would assume once the 2013 DVD's are released, a caveat will appear there as well.

I wonder. Could be they got the synch rights for the DVD's that they themselves produce. I have no idea. Just wondering.