Crossmen 2014

DCFAN

It was a YouTube clip in early June. Pretty difficult to get any sort of "read". Personally I'm pretty excited to see them this summer. Love the new uniforms and looking forward this seeing this show cleaned up at the end of July. Good luck this summer Crossmen! Work hard and pay no attention to the critics. Those who can't do, judge.

• Like 1

Cut out most of the synth and replace those lines with brass and it'd be a better show. But that's hardly news. Anyway, there's some potential here.

It's the first performance of the season, of course it's rough, and there are things that don't work. And I can almost guarantee that this isn't 100% the show that they will be playing by August. There will be edits and improvements to make it work. Like last year, if I remember right, they pretty much changed the entire second half of the show to make it work better. Calm yourself, people.

I don't know if it's because I read these reviews that were not so happy with Crossmen's progress as of now, or that I really had not idea what they were going to be doing this summer, but I found this show to be just amazing! For a first performance, there was a massive amount of musical and visual issues. Clarity will come with time and they have tons of that! The music was engaging; brass has an amazing full sound, the percussion is performing well for the material they have, the guard is the least engaging section to me.

This show screams potential! I see this group fighting for a finals spot. Might just be me, but who knows...it's June!

I watched the first video of the Crossmen, and my first impressions are that the Corps looks in fine shape, and with a musical show that will probably play very well with national audiences this summer

Guess we'll know soon enough.

One more thing to consider. In 1996 Crossmen only had half the drill learned at the first show in the third week of June. We were still picking up members till mid-July. From the looks of it things are falling into place fairly early this season.

I'm really disappointed in their actual show, and I realize it's still very early and there were performance problems-a-plenty. Which I expected. I just find the show dull and uninteresting, even rambing on with no clear music or visual purpose in some spots. I found myself waiting and waiting for something special to happen and it just never did. Drill was bit too cluttered for my tastes. Not sure what that undulating brass block was supposed to be doing during the ballad. Hopefully those were just performance errors that will clean up as the summer goes on, or maybe the sequence reads a lot better from further up in the box, because that was pretty mystifying to me as to what the intent was from a form/movement standpoint. Drumline (once again, sadly) was pretty unmemorable. That drumline used to be so dynamic and powerful (sigh). Guard had some very nice moments with their equipment. I'm not sold on the dancing in front of what looked like sheets of cardboard or burlap or whatever that brown thing was they were dancing in front of. The Carmen stuff sort of comes out of left field towards the end, and then the one piece I was looking forward to the most (Caravan) was just a tiny blurb at the end of the show. Again, mystifying to me. I guess I just don't get what they're going for with this show. It certainly didn't come across well to me. I'm hoping it will become more clear as the summer goes on because I really want to like this corps. It's just been a pretty long time (too long) since they've reached out and grabbed me the way they used to, and this (so far) ain't it.

I really enjoyed the first half. The drum break seemed very 90s, as in "and now here's our drum break." I look forward to seeing how it progresses.