Crossmen 2014

DCFAN

That you did... Bass 4

What happened?

Injury, don't really need more details than that.

How does a missing bass drum impact their percussion score, if at all?

The bass drum part is split among all 5 players, they need to adjust for the missing part.

It's like suddenly missing the fourth valve on your Euphonium. You can compensate with 1 and 3, but it's going to take time to get used to (different pitch issues, overcoming muscle memory, etc.).

I'm treating some friends and coworkers to the Massillon show in August, and I'll think they'll really enjoy Crossmen quite a bit. I do hope that by then, they're using a bit less bass synthesizer in the closer.

Just watched them again on FN. I LOVE this show! The use of the drum set throughout, especially in Carmen, is so tasteful. I do agree, N. E. Brigand, that the synth bass could be reduced a bit. If you're going to use it, support the brass, don't draw attention to the fact that there's a bass boost! My reaction should be, "wow, those tubas are putting out some SOUND!" not, "why have tubas at all, man?!??".

I really like what Crossmen is doing this year....and I get why they are playing "Carmen" at the end - but even though the opera is about a gypsy - the music itself doesn't have a gypsy feel to it and doesn't seem to fit the rest of the show.

Later,

Mike

I really like what Crossmen is doing this year....and I get why they are playing "Carmen" at the end - but even though the opera is about a gypsy - the music itself doesn't have a gypsy feel to it and doesn't seem to fit the rest of the show.

Later,

Mike

Are you talking about Caravan?

They're probably playing it as a treat for the alums and for their 40th anniversary. It's the same version Naffier wrote in the 90s.

I guess.

Edited by xbones7480

I really like what Crossmen is doing this year... and I really get why they are playing "Carmen" at the end--but even though the opera is about a gypsy, the music itself doesn't have a gypsy feel to it and doesn't seem to fit the rest of the show.

Are you talking about "Caravan"?

Although he did say "at the end", when Crossmen reprise "Caravan" for about 45 seconds, I'm guessing Guardguy89 really is referring to the preceding piece, the "Habanera" from Bizet's opera Carmen.