Cavaliers Cell Phone Question

Thanks for your smart alec reply. You KNOW that wasn't what I meant. I would want MY kids calling ME about some urgency directly affecting him/her. Not to call the news media or spread inaccuracies as you suggest. And who says the organization has an exclusinve on something to report about what may be impacting my kid? What about recent corps that were leaving kids stranded becasue they ran out of money while on the road? Would you be expecting a call from the organization? Or would you want your kid to be able to call you; wanting to get home?

You sound as if you believe that the members going commando on the personal communications front for three months is tantamount to them jumping into the lion cage at the zoo wearing beef-scented cologne. If the parents need to reach a member, they do, and the member contacts them back.

And if you think that if you have 100 people describe any event to another 100 people that you're NOT going to have a ground littered with inaccuracies, you've never met a human being. People will make mistakes in reporting, and other people will hear something other than what was actually said. Minimizing the number of people who pass the vital info on has a tendency to lead to better communication.

Edited by Slingerland

You sound as if you believe that the members going commando on the personal communications front for three months is tantamount to them jumping into the lion cage at the zoo wearing beef-scented cologne. If the parents need to reach a member, they do, and the member contacts them back.

And if you think that if you have 100 people describe any event to another 100 people that you're NOT going to have a ground littered with inaccuracies, you've never met a human being. People will make mistakes in reporting, and other people will hear something other than what was actually said. Minimizing the number of people who pass the vital info on has a tendency to lead to better communication.

And so far still waiting for an answer on HOW that is done.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

And so far still waiting for an answer on HOW that is done.....

Are you talking about Cavaliers in particular? It's been mentioned several times in the thread. The parents have a number they can use to contact tour management as well as email addresses for the management and office, and the members get the message as well as a phone to contact home, if needed.

Not sure which part of that anyone could miss.

Edited by Slingerland

Go to most rehearsal sites (of any corps) and wait at the food truck for a meal to occur. WATCH the members during their time off the field. Most of them are buried in their phones, and do not interact with their fellow members... It is sad to see (having been involved before the cell explosion and after), but then again, this is how lots of people operate in public nowadays. What The Cavaliers are doing is unique (by not allowing personal cell phone use) and I absolutely love it. Armchair drum corps fans can proclaim to know what is best for the group, but the Cavaliers experience IS different from the other groups and I do not think it is rooted competitively, but more in the FRATERNAL aspect. They want their members to bond...and yes other groups DO bond, but not with the same consistency of interaction that is desired from those that are in charge of the Cavalier experience (staff, admin, and member leadership.)

wow. i must have watched two corps that decided to act like cellphones didn't exist on 7/7. Because that day, I saw kids walking, talking and having fun with their fellow members. Only cellphones I saw were on adults, and few were connected to either corps

Did you know you can change the number of posts displayed on each page via "My Settings"? You can go up to 40 posts per page. It's more palatable when you only have to consider this thread as having three pages. :tongue:

I tried to change to 40 posts per page under "My Settings" and clicked refresh. I'm still at 10 per page? Please guide me step by step.

I like The Cavaliers and having specific contact phone numbers/email for certain situations worked then and should work now to focus.

Are you talking about Cavaliers in particular? It's been mentioned several times in the thread. The parents have a number they can use to contact tour management as well as email addresses for the management and office, and the members get the message as well as a phone to contact home, if needed.

Not sure which part of that anyone could miss.

I was referring how information would be passed to the parents if something happened to the corps. Lot of talk about members being contacted but nothing on info going the other way.

That's what was being referred to with the quote:

"I would want MY kids calling ME about some urgency directly affecting him/her. Not to call the news media or spread inaccuracies as you suggest. And who says the organization has an exclusinve on something to report about what may be impacting my kid? What about recent corps that were leaving kids stranded becasue they ran out of money while on the road? Would you be expecting a call from the organization? Or would you want your kid to be able to call you; wanting to get home?"

Also a slight dig at your earlier response to me when I asked how this was handled. Your said something like "They handle it great" without any info on HOW it is handled.

Even started a new thread about how corps handling passing info to parents in case something big hits but so far only one guess posted.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

JimF-LowBari: Since you are so interested in receiving 'the official' policy and procedure on how emergency situations are handled here is how to find out (link). And if you want, please post what you find out.

Won't waste the corps time with questions from a outsider. If someone knows it would be nice if they fill us in. Gee thought that was one of the uses of social media.

If not, why snarky comments on a serious subject.... Interesting how people get PO'ed by asking questions.

Edited by JimF-LowBari