Cavaliers Cell Phone Question

How is it that the Blue Devils, Garfield Cadets, & Carolina Crown can win DCI championships while allowing their members to use cell phones???

• Like 1

How is it that the Blue Devils, Garfield Cadets, & Carolina Crown can win DCI championships while allowing their members to use cell phones???

That's a gross oversimplification of the policy. Nobody is suggesting that the Cavaliers are better, be it personally, competitively, spiritually, socially, or otherwise than any other corps. They just choose to do things differently. They choose to remain all male, for reasons completely aside from whether or not they win. Should the Madison Scouts go coed because they haven't won a championship recently? Should the Cadets stop leading with the right foot. That hasn't won them a championship in a couple of years.

Cavs won a whole bunch of championships in the early and mid 2000s. I'd be willing to bet not a single member would attribute those championships to the cell phone policy. Not every decision is based on trying to win a championship. Sometimes its about a particular experience. They have decided to make that one unique facet to the Cavaliers experience.

• Like 2

That's a gross oversimplification of the policy. Nobody is suggesting that the Cavaliers are better, be it personally, competitively, spiritually, socially, or otherwise than any other corps. They just choose to do things differently. They choose to remain all male, for reasons completely aside from whether or not they win. Should the Madison Scouts go coed because they haven't won a championship recently? Should the Cadets stop leading with the right foot. That hasn't won them a championship in a couple of years.

Cavs won a whole bunch of championships in the early and mid 2000s. I'd be willing to bet not a single member would attribute those championships to the cell phone policy. Not every decision is based on trying to win a championship. Sometimes its about a particular experience. They have decided to make that one unique facet to the Cavaliers experience.

Well one poster did say that having this policy made it a healthier social atmosphere at Cavies than other corps who don't do anything to inhibit obsessive cellphone behavoir...

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

9 pages of this ?

• Like 1

What is this 'hopefully have an emergency contact' stuff!!! The Cavaliers performers, if an emergency situation arises, have very quick access to multiple staff cell phones 24 hours a day seven days a week; and the parents of those performers can contact those same cell phones in an emergency situation 24 hours a day seven days a week.

From what I've read the Cavaliers have 24/7 access and was not singling them out. I was speaking in general.

Would you comply if the Uncle Sam work policy required you to leave your phone in the car while you are on their clock? Or would you whine, complain, and throw a hissy?

I'd raise Hell if I could not be directly contacted while my cell was in the car. That falls under the "rules making sense" part of my post. If rules stated that I could not have a cell with a camera (used to be the policy in part of the building) or smart technology then I would get a "granny" phone that did voice only. And to be clear in the last few years I've received phone calls that said family members have just died or have only a few hours left so my view is pretty biased.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

From what I've read the Cavaliers have 24/7 access and was not singling them out. I was speaking in general.

I'd raise Hell if I could not be directly contacted while my cell was in the car. That falls under the "rules making sense" part of my post. If rules stated that I could not have a cell with a camera (used to be the policy in part of the building) or smart technology then I would get a "granny" phone that did voice only. And to be clear in the last few years I've received phone calls that said family members have just died or have only a few hours left so my view is pretty biased.

I think you are missing the point..Emergency issues have always got to the members. There has been in most if not all corps ways to get to the family member. The no cell rule or time limit is to curb distraction for one and to keep a focus and also remind members WHY they are there Im sure.

I think you are missing the point..Emergency issues have always got to the members. There has been in most if not all corps ways to get to the family member. The no cell rule or time limit is to curb distraction for one and to keep a focus and also remind members WHY they are there Im sure.

Not missing the point just got off the original subject (Cavies cell phone policy).

My last two replies are responding to the idea (at least the way I'm reading it) of people have problems if they can't have the cell at hand. They were NOT directed at any corps but life in general. Responding because I am an emergency contact for someone with a medical condition and an elderly person who lives by himself. For both of them they need to know that if they hit my cell number they will get me NOW. And I will be d###ed if anyone considers that being spoiled or "can't cut the phone cord".

Not missing the point just got off the original subject (Cavies cell phone policy).

My last two replies are responding to the idea (at least the way I'm reading it) of people have problems if they can't have the cell at hand. They were NOT directed at any corps but life in general. Responding because I am an emergency contact for someone with a medical condition and an elderly person who lives by himself. For both of them they need to know that if they hit my cell number they will get me NOW. And I will be d###ed if anyone considers that being spoiled or "can't cut the phone cord".

I unerdestand and an emergency contact myself. Im sure these members going away for a few months arent and cant be an emergency contact BUT it kind of is cutting the cord so to speak BUT I also do know its cutting the social media cord whick=h I know for a fact has done alot of internal damages to corps with members who like to air the laundry so to speak..............Also , every been on a corps bus lately? It's kinda funny and sad. many members texting 10 rows back to a corps member instead of turning around and talking. Very sad, well at least its quiet..lol

I unerdestand and an emergency contact myself. Im sure these members going away for a few months arent and cant be an emergency contact BUT it kind of is cutting the cord so to speak BUT I also do know its cutting the social media cord whick=h I know for a fact has done alot of internal damages to corps with members who like to air the laundry so to speak..............Also , every been on a corps bus lately? It's kinda funny and sad. many members texting 10 rows back to a corps member instead of turning around and talking. Very sad, well at least its quiet..lol

Oh I'm not arguing that at all, in fact I'm staying away from it as I never toured with a corps and don't have a clue. But can understand the dirty laundry part as we were pounded BITD to either keep quiet or think twice before we spoke. Reason then was we were in a rebuilding state and couldn't afford to offend anyone on the way up. Today I still think how my DCP posts reflect on my past corps even if they are not competing. Also don't post if it's possible I'd reveal "for corps members eyes only" info.

But I get IT Security training every year on protecting personal/confidental info. So would say I'm more in tune with how disclosing info can hurt things than a HS/college aged person. And that includes me when I was that age....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Oh I'm not arguing that at all, in fact I'm staying away from it as I never toured with a corps and don't have a clue. But can understand the dirty laundry part as we were pounded BITD to either keep quiet or think twice before we spoke. Reason then was we were in a rebuilding state and couldn't afford to offend anyone on the way up. Today I still think how my DCP posts reflect on my past corps even if they are not competing. Also don't post if it's possible I'd reveal "for corps members eyes only" info.

But I get IT Security training every year on protecting personal/confidental info. So would say I'm more in tune with how disclosing info can hurt things than a HS/college aged person. And that includes me when I was that age....

it certainly was different BITD for sure..We also had respect for others and our and other corps and had or forced to have a filter on our mouths. Now if you have a phone of computer no filter is necessary..always makes me wonder ( only because i see it in many I know ) how many actually would have to guts to say face to face what they do behind a phone or computer. I've often seen in members as well as so called adults they usually clam up as soon as confronted eye to eye.

I do know this is a part of the cell issue. I have seen a few world class winter programs instilling the same policy.