Music City 2014

no, we are talking about the staff that was in place for the first four years...

So, to be consistent and not hypocritical with this statement, you must: a) Believe that for a staff to be great they have to be able to be in contention to win DCI right out of the bag; and thus b)The first staff for Carolina Crown was therefore also 'absolutely horrible' because the corps placed 33rd, 25th, 25th; and c) The first staff for Bluecoats was therefore also 'absolutely horrible' because the corps placed 35th, 28th, 38th; and d) etc...

• Like 1

First let me say that I think the staff at MCDC did a great job in the short period they were in existence. They did a fantastic job and improved each and every year they went out. Reminds me of this other corps I once knew. Back in 1972. You may have heard of them. The Blue Devils something. Or another??? Anyways first few years out nothing much then 25th place I think their 3rd year out. Pretty soon they were winning titles.

I Wish MCDC the very beat but I feel like they are going to come up short on their expectation on returning to the field in 2014 witH just a single fundraiser to come in and save the day. A better course of action would probably look towards 2015 once they had some time to build up some bank.

Good luck gents!

Look I am sure the design & teaching staffs of Music City were wonderful men & women that had the best interest of the members at heart. However, they were not good designers or teachers AS DEFINED BY THE RESULTS THE CORPS REALIZED ON THE FIELD. Ineffective does not mean a lack of commitment, it means producing less than desirable results.

This is irrefutable.

Somebody did a good job recruiting a whole bunch of HS and college kids to march in the corps. Kudos to them.

Somebody did not do a good job writing and teaching, period. Do not kid yourself and think the other Open Class corps do not face similar challenges. The 7th Regiment has grown up in the middle of a hotbed of drum corps recruiting for World Class, Open Class and DCA corps yet still presented better written and taught programs every year with less members that Music City. Oregon took a season off and came back to move to the top of the ranks in a year. I am sure the DCI membership surveys would prove that the bulk of the Open Class are converting woodwind players to brass instruments. Ask the Raiders. They made do with a lot less.

Yes, I have attended World Championships every season that Music City participated and witnessed their performances live. Best of intentions, not so much with the results. The Music City design team & tech staff was not able to translate one of the largest (if not largest) corps on the field each season into a competitively successful one.

Did I miss a season when they were anywhere close to a medal before this season? Was the visual design strong? Could the corps march well? Play in tune?

Was the color guard EVER close to the top?

Cmon, be honest. You guys worked hard and probably impacted kids lives in a positive manner. But did you make them a good drum corps? No.

They were 5th at champs with a 90...only a tenth and a half from 4th, in large part due to the excellence of the Spartans color guard.

Regarding their teaching skills for the WW converts to brass...

They placed 4th in Music Effect, Brass Performance (3rd in brass achievement) and Music Analysis.

Those look like pretty decent results for their teaching skills to me.

Finally, if they impacted their kids' lives in a positive maner, IMO that makes them a good drum corps, regardless of placement.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 4

Finally, if they impacted their kids' lives in a positive maner, IMO that makes them a good drum corps, regardless of placement.

There is someone that gets it.

• Like 2

I see that Music City has announced a $50,000 fundraising project. More details here.

• Like 1

"The limited staff budget (resulting, up until this year, in a very ineffective teaching staff) kept the corps in the middle of the OC pack at best."

That " ineffective staff" built that corps from nothing to full size in three seasons. Most of the "ineffective staff" received only gas money. As the "ineffective" brass caption head I made thousands of phone calls for recruiting and retention purposes per season. My staff and I worked 50-60 hours a week (offseason) to build a hornline. We inherited 11 brass players in April of the first season and by the third season the "ineffective" brass staff built it to 80. Of that 80, a vast amount weren't even primarily brass players. We as an "ineffective" staff did the most "ineffective" job we could in educating young musicians and helping them acquire skills to be successful and functional within a drum corps brass section. Now if you'd like to criticize that "ineffective" staff further you can contact me directly. If you're wondering, yes that upsets me. Calling a staff that built something so quickly, meaning nearly every year was a new group of members, and still made finals and finished top six or better in brass every year..... I'd say that's #### effective. Do not discredit the level of commitment that those staff and members put forth to build a corps that went from nothing to something in five very short years. That's insulting not only to that staff but most importantly to the work and sacrifice of the members. Those kids could've went anywhere else but they decided to stay at MCDC because they believed in their staff and wanted to build something special.... And that's exactly what they did. Ineffective to you, maybe. To them, it was exactly how it needed to happen.

Thank you so much for all you did in building a terrific drum corps. What MCDC accomplished the years before are exactly the reason this was our corps of choice for the 2013 season. I've got every finger crossed that we see Music City back on the field in 2014!

• Like 1

Music City is back! December camp is on the calendar! I'm sitting here listening to my MCDC 2013 download from the fan network. Man, this corps sounds awesome! So glad they're coming back. Spread the word and continue to support in any way that you can!

Is that a done deal ? They have only raised. Little over 2k????