Could a corps win best percussion without a battery?

In the past some corps won what is now Open Class without a battery...not sure about the drum major. it is more common in the band world, especially smaller bands to go the grounded percussion route. I've actually taught it that way, and it created some challenges with older judges who felt it wasn't as demanding, but our approach was to cross train the kids on multiple instruments so no one was glued to one instrument the entire show.

I've seen some really creative and musical presentations done this way,and I'm proud of the work my team did the two years I was with them. if done right...yeah it could happen, but I'm not sure a larger corps would ever go for it

I have seen many bands w/o DM's...as you say smaller ones.

In 2006 my band went the front-ensemble-only route, as we had graduated a lot of the battery from the 2005 band.It worked just fine for us. We told the one player who was in the 2006 pit who had marched snare in 2005 that if he wanted to march again...he had better get recruiting drummers in the off-season, and voila! We had a battery in 2007.