Could a corps win best percussion without a battery?

According to the judging sheets you provided, they do not indicate what type of percussion instruments have to be used, nor do the sheets indicate that they have to be ‘marching’. All a percussion ensemble has to do is perform some type of choreographed form movement (ie dance moves can be considered as 'form' movement) while playing, which certainly can be accomplished in a concert type percussion ensemble without performers actually ‘marching’; and even do this without battery type instruments. Therefore, according to the sheets, a corps with a marching battery and a corps without a marching battery should be judged equally as long as both corps’ percussion performers are exhibiting some type of form movement choreography while playing.

2332-1271525302.jpg

I actually L('ed)OL.

According to the judging sheets you provided, they do not indicate what type of percussion instruments have to be used, nor do the sheets indicate that they have to be ‘marching’. All a percussion ensemble has to do is perform some type of choreographed form movement (ie dance moves can be considered as 'form' movement) while playing, which certainly can be accomplished in a concert type percussion ensemble without performers actually ‘marching’; and even do this without battery type instruments. Therefore, according to the sheets, a corps with a marching battery and a corps without a marching battery should be judged equally as long as both corps’ percussion performers are exhibiting some type of form movement choreography while playing.

You are of course correct in a theoretical sense, however front ensemble members wearing drums for part of the show would likely not get as much credit as full-time battery constantly dealing simultaneous responsibility and weird listening environments. Just as I've said with other kind of out-there ideas (such as front ensemble being scattered throughout the field instead of grounded in a line down front), if it were as effective as some think it would be, it would've been done before and utilized more often. Ventures did it quite a bit back in the 80's, and even when they won Div. 2 in 1989 they lost percussion to Limited Edition who had a (good) drum line.

You are of course correct in a theoretical sense, however front ensemble members wearing drums for part of the show would likely not get as much credit as full-time battery constantly dealing simultaneous responsibility and weird listening environments. Just as I've said with other kind of out-there ideas (such as front ensemble being scattered throughout the field instead of grounded in a line down front), if it were as effective as some think it would be, it would've been done before and utilized more often. Ventures did it quite a bit back in the 80's, and even when they won Div. 2 in 1989 they lost percussion to Limited Edition who had a (good) drum line.

This is not theoretical; it is based on sheet ‘interpretation’ because the official wording is so very vague. Convince the current group of percussion judges, or better yet hire in a new crop of percussion judges, to interpret the vague wording on the sheets in a different manner and it will happen.

This is not theoretical; it is based on sheet ‘interpretation’ because the official wording is so very vague. Convince the current group of percussion judges, or better yet hire in a new crop of percussion judges, to interpret the vague wording on the sheets in a different manner and it will happen.

That's true. I know several DCI judges, and DCI champion staffers/designers are incredibly persuasive after shows when discussing design with judges. You're right that all it takes is the most persuasive argument and interp. of the sheets can be swayed.

2332-1271525302.jpg

I actually L('ed)OL.

That's true. I know several DCI judges, and DCI champion staffers/designers are incredibly persuasive after shows when discussing design with judges. You're right that all it takes is the most persuasive argument and interp. of the sheets can be swayed.

Yep: The way I interpreted the vague wording on the sheets is exactly how creative design teams press the judges into the idea that we cannot stagnate but should always strive to ‘expand and progress the art form’.

Edited by Stu

Thanks for the clarification - I knew that, but did not explain very well. There are photo's somewhere IIRC

LOL - I wasn't trying to clarify ... I was being a smart aleck.....

Picture probably is Cheif Judge Walt Kelly shooting the starters pistol to scare them off. Didn't work to well as *bang* they go to the left *bang* they go more to the left.... then *bang* oh crap... they all go back to where they were originally (repeat a few times).....

At first I thought this might be an intelligent thread........But was sadly mistaken.....didn't take too long into for someone to start the BD / G7 bashing........I guess I am surprised that nobody threw Hopkins into the mix.

Although, the more I think about it, I shouldn't be to surprised........I am more angry at myself that I keep trying to come back on to this site and expect that anything would change

At first, I thought this might be an intelligent thread... but was sadly mistaken. Didn't take too long for someone to start the BD / G7 bashing. I guess I am surprised that nobody threw Hopkins into the mix.

Although the more I think about it, I shouldn't be too surprised. I am more angry at myself that I keep trying to come back onto this site and expect that anything would change.

Can you point to a post in this thread that is "bashing" the Blue Devils? I don't see it. I also see no mention of the G7 prior to your post.

Can you point to a post in this thread that is "bashing" the Blue Devils? I don't see it. I also see no mention of the G7 prior to your post.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/158232-could-a-corps-win-best-percussion-without-a-battery/?p=3328031