Mental Illness and DCI

In the mid 90's I marched with a guy who seemed to get really stressed. He was quickly pointed out to staff after hurting himself and shaving his head one night. He disappeared for a few days then came back, apologized to the section and we went back to work. I just always assumed he stopped taking a medication or need to start taking some.

I have OCD. While it can be sometimes debiltating, drum corps actually worked for me. The physical exercise, somewhat healthier food (less caffeine especially) and the routine helped me. It's been a struggle all my life, and I did not get an official diagnosis or medication until years after aging out. Still, I did three years, and it was fine. I can see how some other disorders (schizophrenia, PTSD, etc) might present different challenges.

I have OCD and IED. Sooooooooo yeah, just yeah.

Welcome to DCP!

So, explain this, please. In the context of the thread, and in conjunction with your signature for hints, the only conclusion that I can presume is that your OCD should prompt you to stay away from the keyboard.

And, sorry, the only IED I'm aware of is one that you'd strap to your chest. Are you a covert DCP-bomber?

:shutup:

Have any of you ever toured with a mental illness? If so, what helped you through the summer?

My first two summers of drum corps were really awful, I had hallucinations, disorganized thoughts, mood swings, paranoia, etc. I took a summer off and I finally got diagnosed and medicated so I'm doing much better. I'm wondering if any of you have advice for touring with mental illnesses. Any tips or thoughts will be appreciated! (:

This sounds like the typical progression of moods during a 5 hr visual block.

One additional thing that comes to mind - At some point in the season, every member will be singled-out in front of the entire corps and told to correct something. It may be harsh, may be gentle, depends on corps, instructor, and mood that day. This has been part of DC since the beginning. If the marcher's mental condition is such that he/she cannot handle this, then maybe it is better to stay in the stands.

I marched my last year of Freelancers in 1984 and I had just turned 16 that summer. I was going to march the following year for Cavies, I had a spot in the guard and a place to live for the summer, but I suffered my first panic attack in the spring of 1985. The panic attacks started happening more frequently and I became too afraid to move to Illinois to march Cavies. It sucks because the attacks became quite debilitating and by the time I finally had them under control without the use of Benzo's I was 22 years old. Oh well!

Welcome to DCP!

So, explain this, please. In the context of the thread, and in conjunction with your signature for hints, the only conclusion that I can presume is that your OCD should prompt you to stay away from the keyboard.

And, sorry, the only IED I'm aware of is one that you'd strap to your chest. Are you a covert DCP-bomber?

:shutup:

In medical terms, IED typically stands for Intermittent Explosive Disorder - behavioral disorder where someone can snap into extreme rage/anger seemingly over nothing (or at the very least, the extreme anger is disproportionate to the situation)

Edited by perc2100