Exciting news from Boston....making more moves!

BAC and its parent organization, Inspire Arts and Music, are certainly having a busy off season....check this out:

http://www.bostoncrusaders.com/news/384-big-east-festivals

They're on a mission....

Edited by craiga
  • Like 1

Let's hope they can handle this growth. Jim C. is one busy man. CEO of United Healthcare Mid-Atlantic and President of the Crusaders BOD. One concern I heard about at the most recent alumni luncheon is will the full amount of donations for the Crusaders not get spread to the other groups. Over time, these acquisitions should improve the corps own growth.

BAC and its parent organization, Inspire Arts and Music, are certainly having a busy off season....check this out:

They're on a mission....

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

They're on a mission....

Would you say it's a Crusade?

• Like 1

They're on a mission....

Any time an organization can extend its outreach into musical groups at the schools, such outreach has the potential capacity to benefit both the creative organization that took such an initiative as well as the musical groups receiving such outreach. This sounds like a great step by the Boston Crusaders. I also think that such outreach ventures by Corps currently afiliated with the Drum Corps movement can benefit the entire Drum Corps movement itself long term.

• Like 1

Any time an organization can extend its outreach into musical groups at the schools, such outreach has the potential capacity to benefit both the creative organization that took such an initiative as well as the musical groups receiving such outreach. This sounds like a great step by the Boston Crusaders. I also think that such outreach ventures by Corps currently afiliated with the Drum Corps movement can benefit the entire Drum Corps movement itself long term.

Not to mention it could actually benefit the local community as well, right? That IMO is a HUGE win for all involved

• Like 2

Let's hope they can handle this growth. Jim C. is one busy man. CEO of United Healthcare Mid-Atlantic and President of the Crusaders BOD. One concern I heard about at the most recent alumni luncheon is will the full amount of donations for the Crusaders not get spread to the other groups. Over time, these acquisitions should improve the corps own growth.

Isn't there is a new corps director this year that will take a lot of drum corps operations off of Jim C's shoulders? I know new BAC corps director Andy Waldukat, and I am really excited to see what he will do for Boston Crusaders

This is an interesting study.

The existing Great East staff will stay in place.

The announcement says "acquisition" which generally refers to "for a price", yet no price was announced. Did BAC acquire, did Great East sell itself, or did they merge?

Great East's website doesn't list "marching bands" as a festival program, but virtually all other types of music programs. Great East is a "performance only" organization where-as BAC is a member of a competitive placement activity. What, exactly, does BAC see in a circuit that doesn't provide anything competitively musical?

If Great East didn't receive payment for being "acquired", what "scale" are they attaining by associating with a drum corps organization?

And speaking of orgs, I don't find any 990's for Inspire Arts and Music so I'm wondering if someone knows its history or if it was recently formed in anticipation of Great East agreement.

I looked through the 2012 BAC 990 and don't see sizable assets that could be used to "purchase" Great East, although the 990's don't always reveal specific answers. They're cash-flow negative and spent some assets last year leaving them slightly worse off than break-even. Makes me suspicious that there were funds exchanged, but there is a slight indication that, possibly, BAC assumed some debt of Great East in the acquisition.

So the mutual benefit was, likely, not (greatly) financial and the market segments as well as their business models don't seem symbiotic at all. I wonder what's the point in the first place, and it's not apparent that it's a merger of similarity at all.

I'm sure someone here will inform me of what I'm missing.

Edited by garfield