whats the latest in snare technology? and whats the next step in advan

I'm curious what if any new technology has been made in snare tech since the advent of the yamaha sfx line debut. I'm sure just because they still use a free floating design doesn't mean there hast been advances in the tech. Also what changes could still be made to improve snares. Or is it as good as it ever will be.

The next logical step for marching percussion is to figure out how to make it lighter without sacrificing sound. Performer health is a good thing, and talking to reps last season, it's definitely something that is on a mid to front-burner over the next several years.

If only brass companies would make that a priority for marching tubas (besides Yamaha, who has definitely figured it out. Why, Jupiter, WHY???).

It seems that they feel they've reached equilibrium between durability of the hardware and the market reality of aramid fiber heads, and that the snare sound the drum corps are getting now is what they want (inexplicably....). That being the case, there doesn't seem to be an impetus for change for the snare makers.

It's the head companies I'd like to see get more adventurous. They too seem to be ok with the dead sound of Kevlar heads, but there have to be other types of fabrics and lamination processes out there that could offer a split the difference sound between mylar's depth of sound and aramid fiber's durability. The worst artistic rationale for doing something is "because we can't break it," but that's what has ruled the aesthetic for snares for the last two decades.

• Like 2

It seems that they feel they've reached equilibrium between durability of the hardware and the market reality of aramid fiber heads, and that the snare sound the drum corps are getting now is what they want (inexplicably....). That being the case, there doesn't seem to be an impetus for change for the snare makers.

It's the head companies I'd like to see get more adventurous. They too seem to be ok with the dead sound of Kevlar heads, but there have to be other types of fabrics and lamination processes out there that could offer a split the difference sound between mylar's depth of sound and aramid fiber's durability. The worst artistic rationale for doing something is "because we can't break it," but that's what has ruled the aesthetic for snares for the last two decades.

They already sort if do this. Evans Hybrid heads and Remo's Max heads are not Kevlar. The Max heads have been on the market since the late 90's. Evans also has a hybrid bottom head that has been on the market for a while but not terribly widely used. Their MX5 bottom head is an aramid/polyester laminate.

I think the only Kevlar heads still used on the market today are the Remo Falam snare side heads.

**Correcting myself. Kevlar is a form of armid fiber. the types of heads I am referencing are designed to make the feel softer on the players hands. However, I'm not sure anyone has a real interest in reinventing the sound.

Edited by gbass598

Tama has a relatively new marching percussion line out now. I don't think they necessarily broke any new ground technology wise but their snares seem to combine the best features from the leading marching snares. They even have a very "Rogers Dynasonic" like snare frame. Combine that with their superior shell manufacturing processes and their top of the line lacquer finishes, they are a very good product. I've never held one but I'm betting they are on the heavy side. Has anyone had any experience with the Tama snares?

Edited by SFZFAN

Pearl's carbon fiber shells were an interesting step forward, but now looks like with their "carboncore" series one that they're taking a half-step backwards from as well.

Ming drums just created a completely carbon fiber snare - shell, lugs, etc. - that I'm dying to see if it actually works. The videos make them sound fine.

I also wonder what the next 'big' leap forward is going to be. Right now, I honestly have no clue what it could be.

Mike

Tama has a relatively new marching percussion line out now. I don't think they necessarily broke any new ground technology wise but their snares seem to combine the best features from the leading marching snares. They even have a very "Rogers Dynasonic" like snare frame. Combine that with their superior shell manufacturing processes and their top of the line lacquer finishes, they are a very good product. I've never held one but I'm betting they are on the heavy side. Has anyone had any experience with the Tama snares

...not a "drummer" but I know what sounds good...those Tama snares are nice! Just heard a pretty fair Ayala eight the other nite up close...*very* crisp, tight sound...

• Like 2

I've never held one but I'm betting they are on the heavy side. Has anyone had any experience with the Tama snares

I've picked them up and compared to my SFZs and Pearls, and the Tamas are a little heavier. Tom had some good suggestions in terms of tweaks to the current designs, but nothing game changing in terms of the rest of the market.

The shell of any drum is already among the lightest components, so adding a layer of carbon fiber cloth was never going to do anything significant. Almost everyone who manufactures shells now uses variations of the same process (DW has a few neat tweaks), so it's hard to point to any company as having a superior shell construction. It's all plywood, in the end.

Re: the Ming all carbon construction, it's intriguing, but I'm a little dubious about the long-term durability of carbon fiber batter rims. They're spec'ing a total weight of 9.2 pounds (vs 15 pounds for an SFZ). My experience with carbon is primarily in applications where it was used for its light weight while being durable under deflection (bikes and sailboat masts) rather than impact, but hey, if they could get someone to start field testing the product and it holds up well enough, THAT would be a huge difference.

Edited by Slingerland

I'm curious what if any new technology has been made in snare tech since the advent of the yamaha sfx line debut. I'm sure just because they still use a free floating design doesn't mean there hast been advances in the tech. Also what changes could still be made to improve snares. Or is it as good as it ever will be.

One person hits one drum, it is cranked through the mix board & amp to sound like 10 playing in unison.