Phantom Regiment 2014

As much as I enjoy these suggestions..I find it rather cutting and in poor taste to be talking about other possible shows they could do while this season is starting to heat up. Granted many are not happy with Swan Lake but geez.. nothing like abandoning ship. Our biggest worries about the show are hair extensions??

good one lol

But......their look and style doesn't seem to be capturing such good scores right now. As someone posted earlier, if they are PR's best caption they better get busy.

Edited by eric49

As much as I enjoy these suggestions..I find it rather cutting and in poor taste to be talking about other possible shows they could do while this season is starting to heat up. Granted many are not happy with Swan Lake but geez.. nothing like abandoning ship. Our biggest worries about the show are hair extensions??

In bad taste?! Whatever. At least he is making good selections for the future. And as a FMM, he can say as he wishes.

• Like 1

As a "lifer" pretty much, I would like to see them get away from the same type of theme (death primarily). While this isn't the "what they should play thread", the Alpine Symphony by Richard Strauss would be a fantastic piece for them and there is already a built in theme.

Now, this is where I'm going to lose a lot of you but, I would like them to consider some of the music of Alan Silvestri, primarily movie music. Perhaps my favorite soundtrack of his was from the first Judge Dredd movie.

Dredd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1WT7qfVYkM&index=2&list=RDvsDlvAwMhJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsDlvAwMhJA&list=RDvsDlvAwMhJA#t=0

Alpine Symphony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQhpWsRhQGs

Also The Wasps Overture Ralph Vaughan Williams should be considered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25HABTNWW78

nice stuff, they should hire you to design the music book. there's even the opportunity for a mass death scene, when the corps runs around swatting out the guard dressed as wasps. lol. But seriously, your selections are closer to the PR many of us miss than anything they've done in the last several years, with the exception of Into The Light.

Edited by eric49

Sorry you feel that way. I'm not abandoning ship, but since some have bemoaned certain aspects of the show (not me), these are some things I would like to see them do,(in the future) just as others have provided commentary, I provided links.

Maybe this will put it all in some sort of perspective. In 1981 and 82 Regiment did Sparatus and it was considered new and innovative as

a syllabus was put out explaining the story and concept of the show. In 1985 the Regiment hit a low and finished tenth and it was at that time

certain staff decided to go in a new direction and as a result Romeo and Juliet, Swan Lake and New World Symphony were born. The following years we had very good shows such as Faust, American In Paris, Sparatus, and Turandot (2012) (stories were the basis of these shows). Yes, their are shows that are not my favorite or that I did not like and one would be Into The Light. Every Corps has their periods of rebirth so to speak where changes nreed to be made and I have found that Regiment does this but it takes time and introspection.

We are known for classical music and we should stay their. I find the horn line to me sounds tinny for the last two years. I have no musical background but I tend to think it is the horns we are using. The deep depth has gone away.

Of course their are Corps that are not my favorite, BD being one of them. It is the music and their approach that I do not find uplifting or captivating. I do not feel the need to tear them apart at what they do. I respect their vision but it is not my cup of tea. Enough said about BD.

Now the issue of story lines. Every Corps has them being either concrete or abstract. SCV has done West Side Story, Christrmas show(2012), Crown did Emc, Madison did their tribute to our soldiers and the list goes on and on. If you really think about it every show has a story line. Some times the story concept is so abstract you have to use your imagination. Mostly it is a matter of of what we like as individuals. Do you think the corps care what we say or write? It is the judges sheets and the crowd that will effect change if needed.

As to what is on the field. Many times I do not understand the signifigance of a prop such as Crowns trampolines, Regiments black tubes.to name a few. I can say I do not like Crowns uniform this year or last year. Regiments headdress does not fit the show and is not explainable.

So these are my observations and I guess you can have at it. "Dont be cruel to a heart that's true"

Edited by grammie12
  • Like 2

Maybe this will put it all in some sort of perspective. In 1981 and 82 Regiment did Sparatus and it was considered new and innovative as

a syllabus was put out explaining the story and concept of the show. In 1985 the Regiment hit a low and finished tenth and it was at that time

certain staff decided to go in a new direction and as a result Romeo and Juliet, Swan Lake and New World Symphony were born. The following years we had very good shows such as Faust, American In Paris, Sparatus, and Turandot (2012) (stories were the basis of these shows). Yes, their are shows that are not my favorite or that I did not like and one would be Into The Light. Every Corps has their periods of rebirth so to speak where changes nreed to be made and I have found that Regiment does this but it takes time and introspection.

We are known for classical music and we should stay their. I find the horn line to me sounds tinny for the last two years. I have no musical background but I tend to think it is the horns we are using. The deep depth has gone away.

Of course their are Corps that are not my favorite, BD being one of them. It is the music and their approach that I do not find uplifting or captivating. I do not feel the need to tear them apart at what they do. I respect their vision but it is not my cup of tea. Enough said about BD.

Now the issue of story lines. Every Corps has them being either concrete or abstract. SCV has done West Side Story, Christrmas show(2012), Crown did Emc, Madison did their tribute to our soldiers and the list goes on and on. If you really think about it every show has a story line. Some times the story concept is so abstract you have to use your imagination. Mostly it is a matter of of what we like as individuals. Do you think the corps care what we say or write? It is the judges sheets and the crowd that will effect change if needed.

As to what is on the field. Many times I do not understand the signifigance of a prop such as Crowns trampolines, Regiments black tubes.to name a few. I can say I do not like Crowns uniform this year or last year. Regiments headdress does not fit the show and is not explainable.

So these are my observations and I guess you can have at it. "Dont be cruel to a heart that's true"

Regiment was always my first choice of corps to follow way back thirty years ago when I first started watching them because of the classical music. What I don't care for this year is the movie music. While it is in the vein of classical-esque music, these three choices are weak to begin with. The Feeney, Horner, and Howard stuff isn't that great of music to begin with. I know Regiment has used (even last year) the works of Herrmann and Rota. Those two are masters and have created a wealth of wonderful work.

As far as quality of the horns, the Jupiters suck. They need constant repair and aren't that great to begin with. I wish they would go back to the Kings. They're sooooo much higher quality and have better sound.

As far as story lines, it'd be nice to get away from the literal characterizations for a while. The same themes of love/heartbreak/betrayal/death have gotten stale. It'd be nice to see an abstract story line or, hell, just a good theme from them next year. There are many ways to tell a story, might as well try another.

Edited by chaos001
  • Like 3

Regiment was always my first choice of corps to follow way back thirty years ago when I first started watching them because of the classical music. What I don't care for this year is the movie music. While it is in the vein of classical-esque music, these three choices are weak to begin with. Feeney, Horner, and Howard stuff isn't the great of music to begin with. I know Regiment has used (even last year) the works of Herrmann and Rota. Those two are masters and have created a wealth of wonderful work.

As far as quality of the horns, the Jupiters suck. They need constant repair and aren't that great to begin with. I wish they would go back to the Kings. They're sooooo much higher quality and have better sound.

As far as story lines, it'd be nice to get away from the literal characterizations for a while. The same themes of love/heartbreak/betrayal/death have gotten stale. It'd be nice to see an abstract story line or, hell, just a good theme from them next year. There are many ways to tell a story, might as well try another.

Believe it or not I do agree that a strong theme is needed. such as American In Paris as you know that is a classical theme

in the American genre. It has been my experience with my long years with the corps that usually when I first hear the music I feel if it is going to be a success. There are not many years that my sixth sense has been wrong. I do know the closer is being changed and I am sure other changes will be made. They always seem to be able to pick up the pieces. No, we will not win, but I want a respectable finish for the young man and women who work so hard. The abstract story does not excite me and usually the music does not give me goose bumps, but that is me. It is all in the eyes of the many beholders of what is accepted or rejected.

From your past posts they have had a negative vibe and you appeared to have a great dislike for the corps, but I see now that is not true.

Many of the posts everyone have written did not have their facts in many cases. All I ask is that we all state our opinions in a fair way. It does not have to be done by what appears to some to be tearing a corps down.

I have been around the corps for 40 years and it is not perfect but I love it and that is all that counts. No I dont like the changes DCI is doing, but that does not mean I will turn my back on an activity I love. Lastly, I do want the corps to find itself again and if that happens that is all I want. I want the goosebumps again.

• Like 4