Phantom Regiment 2014

Yes, their are shows that are not my favorite or that I did not like and one would be Into The Light.

Into the Light is one of my favorite Regiment shows. It was far from perfect, it had a very difficult drill, the guard that year wasn't the greatest but to me it's one of those shows where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 7

Sorry you feel that way. I'm not abandoning ship, but since some have bemoaned certain aspects of the show (not me), these are some things I would like to see them do,(in the future) just as others have provided commentary, I provided links.

Edited by Lincoln

Granny and Chaos, I think we agree more than we disagree. In the end, all we really want is music that moves us. 2010 grew on me, though initially, I wasn't a fan. Now, I feel it was an under appreciated show.

• Like 3

It is the judges sheets and the crowd that will effect change if needed.

Something I forgot...the judges sheets are intended to reflect the artistic design and direction the corps want to move in (because they're the ones who write the sheets).

Speaking from what I witnessed last year, the crowd's did not respond well to Regiment, or not as they had in the past. I've yet to see things in person and hope they're better than last year. I've already seen on social media where some of the younger crowd are saying something like "Oh look...someone in Phantom's show dies again. Shocker there!." I have a link somewhere if anyone wants it. Always have to remember what your recruiting base wants to see as well, otherwise talented individuals will choose other corps.

• Like 2

Into the Light is one of my favorite Regiment shows. It was far from perfect, it had a very difficult drill, the guard that year wasn't the greatest but to me it's one of those shows where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Well we can agree on something. This show is one of the most beautifully integrated shows music and drill wise they have ever performed. Rosander is known for his difficult drills but man are they beautiful. That's probably why he wasn't asked back regardless of what they said. It is also a perfect example of a theme show instead of story telling. It is definitely one of my all time favorite PR shows.

• Like 4

Well we can agree on something. This show is one of the most beautifully integrated shows music and drill wise they have ever performed. Rosander is known for his difficult drills but man are they beautiful. That's probably why he wasn't asked back regardless of what they said. It is also a perfect example of a theme show instead of story telling. It is definitely one of my all time favorite PR shows.

I have no idea. One thing I have read/heard is that Rosander has had health challeges in the past. I hope he is doing well.

Maybe this will put it all in some sort of perspective. In 1981 and 82 Regiment did Sparatus and it was considered new and innovative as

a syllabus was put out explaining the story and concept of the show. In 1985 the Regiment hit a low and finished tenth and it was at that time

certain staff decided to go in a new direction and as a result Romeo and Juliet, Swan Lake and New World Symphony were born. The following years we had very good shows such as Faust, American In Paris, Sparatus, and Turandot (2012) (stories were the basis of these shows). Yes, their are shows that are not my favorite or that I did not like and one would be Into The Light. Every Corps has their periods of rebirth so to speak where changes nreed to be made and I have found that Regiment does this but it takes time and introspection.

We are known for classical music and we should stay their. I find the horn line to me sounds tinny for the last two years. I have no musical background but I tend to think it is the horns we are using. The deep depth has gone away.

Of course their are Corps that are not my favorite, BD being one of them. It is the music and their approach that I do not find uplifting or captivating. I do not feel the need to tear them apart at what they do. I respect their vision but it is not my cup of tea. Enough said about BD.

Now the issue of story lines. Every Corps has them being either concrete or abstract. SCV has done West Side Story, Christrmas show(2012), Crown did Emc, Madison did their tribute to our soldiers and the list goes on and on. If you really think about it every show has a story line. Some times the story concept is so abstract you have to use your imagination. Mostly it is a matter of of what we like as individuals. Do you think the corps care what we say or write? It is the judges sheets and the crowd that will effect change if needed.

As to what is on the field. Many times I do not understand the signifigance of a prop such as Crowns trampolines, Regiments black tubes.to name a few. I can say I do not like Crowns uniform this year or last year. Regiments headdress does not fit the show and is not explainable.

So these are my observations and I guess you can have at it. "Dont be cruel to a heart that's true"

IMO, there is a big difference in a story line and story telling.

And I'm kind of curious as to why you did not like Into The Light. For me it was one of their more intellectual shows and beautifully put together. Incredble music as well.

• Like 1

I have no idea. One thing I have read/heard is that Rosander has had health challeges in the past. I hope he is doing well.

He had serious health issues and that is a fact.. He would have been back.

That was the reason given for his not returning, but interestingly enough, he designed for another corps the next year. He is a very sensitive guy and probably did not fit in well with the Farrell regime.