Crown Performs for Disney Christmas Parade

Nick cannon called them a band then sent the intro to duggie houser who properly introduced them as DCI champs and referred to them as a Carolina crown drum and bugle corps.

Was Nick wrong when he called them " a Band ". ? Was Houser wrong when he called Crown " a Drum & Bugle Corps " ? DCI had a MM of Crown brass line refer to her unit in a published DCI article 2 years ago as... " a Band ". One would assume that she knows what she marches in, so it would appear that Nick likewise " properly introduced them " as to what the unit is. Why are some here seemingly stuck in the past as to what the correct nomenclatures should be now anyway ? These DCI units are " Marching Bands ". This is something it seems to me that the older legacy alums and fans AND the newer devotees should easily be able to agree with. ( many in both camps do... but there still appears some that are stuck in the past and can't come to grips with the word " DCI Bands " . I don't get it. Whats up with this need to keep the name " Drum & Bugle Corps " ? Its such an false anachronism for a name given the rapidity of change in all areas. Did Carolina Crown utilize a " Bugle " in their performance today ? I did not see nor hear " a " Bugle ". Houser then was confused, but he is to be forgiven, imo, as he was given info that was incorrect it seems to me.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

What was really annoying about the musical presentations on the Disney show was the constant cheering added in the background for "effect" I suppose. I've heard some recordings taken live in the park and it wasn't totally from the audience.

That, plus it was a 2 hour commercial for all things Disney.

But--Crown did an excellent job and represented DCI like ... well, champs.

• Like 1

What was really annoying about the musical presentations on the Disney show was the constant cheering added in the background for "effect" I suppose. I've heard some recordings taken live in the park and it wasn't totally from the audience.

The ADHD camera work was also annoying. Is it too much to ask them to focus for just a couple of seconds without having to move the camera?

I love their arrangement of "Carol of the Bells."

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 2

Poor Neil Patrick Harris, doomed always to be remembered first as Doogie, even though he's been on How I Met Your Mother for more than twice as long. But his crowning work, at least according to some people, is Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, while for others it's his awards-show hosting work that's been most memorable, as in this awesome opener to the 2013 Tonys (which does indeed reference Doogie).

How many people still remember Doogie Howser? I do...

Remember the days when DCI had a guest host as part of their PBS broadcast? I think NPH would make a great guest host if they ever brought the idea back.

Edited by LincolnV

That, plus it was a 2 hour commercial for all things Disney.

But--Crown did an excellent job and represented DCI like ... well, champs.

Disney owns ABC so I guess they can do what they want on the network. And actually, I've been considering a trip to WDW so I didn't mind the infomercial. .

I enjoyed Crown's performance. It was great exposure to drum corps even if someone referred to them as a marching band.

Why is it a big deal that they were called a band by Nick Cannon, he doesn't know the activity. Someone clearly had given NPH a script where he talked about them as being a drum and bugle corps.

We've called it drum and bugle corps for many years, and there haven't been bugles on the field in years. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bugles If we are using bugles, why do we have valves? Aren't there pit instruments, a marimba is not a drum, and where is our mention of flags, rifles, sabers, etc. in our description.

I'm sorry, but exposure is exposure in my opinion.

And if we don't like how Disney did things, then let's not watch.

They produced it, it wasn't meant to be a parade down some street in some town, it's Disney's holiday celebration. If it's a glorified commercial, so be it, it's their program. We weren't watching Macy's. Which, btw the way, does the same type of thing, will we all complain at the way Madison is portrayed next year?

Sorry BRASSO, this dino does not like D&BC being referred to as bands. Bands have woodwinds, corps do not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marching_band

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_and_bugle_corps_(modern)

But with all the folks caving in to the squeaky wheels of social changes, the use of the term drum corps will also become extinct.

Sorry BRASSO, this dino does not like D&BC being referred to as bands. Bands have woodwinds, corps do not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marching_band

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_and_bugle_corps_(modern)

But with all the folks caving in to the squeaky wheels of social changes, the use of the term drum corps will also become extinct.

But a corps is also defined as: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/corps

Also, you are saying you don't want D&BC corps to be referred to as bands, yet you use wikipedia's definitions of a "marching band" not a band, as you put in your first line.

I do hope we realize that anyone can post on wikipedia and it is one of the least credible sources on the internet.

• Like 1

To be honest, most of my friends, former students and people I marched with get a kick out of when someone calls it a band. Doesn't rub us the wrong way, we just kinda laugh a little and say "something like that, sure."

It's when people get super up in arms about their terms of art that we get a genuine chortle. However, the worst two to my eyes are "drum corp" and "drum core."