Ideas, Concepts, Thoughts

One of the marching bands I work with is planning on doing a Harry Potter show next season. As I get ready to go to the initial brainstorming session I was wondering what some of you think would be some key elements that would need to be in a Harry Potter show as to truly tell the story. I have read all the books, but do not profess to be a Hogwarts or HP expert. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Guard will use brooms in various ways. Will need battery operated wands to send out light beams a few feet. Lots of student type capes. Consult with Vegas magicians about disappearing mm if SCV can't help. Various mm in large animal costumes and one huge mm to play Rubeus Hagrid!

You know you will not be able to use the John Williams thematic material, right?

Has the music possibly been licensed in commercial arrangements for band use?

Didn't OSU play Harry Potter music in their Hollywood show this fall?

You know you will not be able to use the John Williams thematic material, right?

We actually have that part taken care of with copyrights. There are arrangements through Alfred publishing I believe, that we are going to more than likely pull snippets from for the show.

Steal and use the lovely Phantom Regiment storybook formation.

That's a great idea. Imitation is the highest form of flattery correct? One of the guard staff will love that if she doesn't mention that herself as she is a Phantom alum.

... There are arrangements through Alfred publishing I believe, that we are going to more than likely pull snippets from for the show.

Be careful. Even if you purchase those published arrangements from Alfred, if you do not perform them in their actual published form and just use snippets within your show design, that is also considered by copyright law as creating a completely new and different work called a 'Derivative Work'; thus if you use snippet material from the Alfred charts you will therefore need to also seek permission from Alfred to construct any such derivative work based on those Alfred published chart snippets.

Be careful. Even if you purchase those published arrangements from Alfred, if you do not perform them in their actual published form and just use snippets within your show design, that is also considered by copyright law as creating a completely new and different work called a 'Derivative Work'; thus if you use snippet material from the Alfred charts you will therefore need to also seek permission from Alfred to construct any such derivative work based on those Alfred published chart snippets.

1000% correct. I'd be very careful if I were that band. Good information!

Well since we're talking about marching band...Have you considered doing a trilogy ( like LD BEll did from 05-07). You could make the first show called "Platform 9 and Three quarters" and portray all the interesting things that occurred in the train from all the parts...it could also have cool train effects like The Woodlands did this year (or Blue Devils 2004). The Second part, maybe "Dumbledore's Army", the concept would be the band coming together and forming a camaraderie. The third part, idk whatever you want. My thing is, it's pretty hard to do a Harry Potter show, and not feel short changed. The biggest mistake you can make is try to clunk everything together.