SDCA vs Soundsport

SDCA has a great idea that has been, IMO, marketed poorly.

You sure about that? Because if they are able to attract enough revenue to get the corps $800-$2500 each in appearance fees, I would say their marketing approach has something going for it.

Would a cool website have compelled you to attend their shows? I doubt it. So rather than waste resources on web design, SDCA has taken a locally oriented approach to marketing. If it fills seats with paying customers, then it is a valid marketing strategy.

So people knock SDCA because of the google results. But laud DCI for a format that has been dead for 30 years (A-60). What does the open class format do for small corps? Has DCI ever presented a small corps simulcast? Are they marketed as equally as the larger corps? Someone mentioned that Soundpsort does not pay corps but SDCA does. So who does more for small corps. At least they are spreading the wealth around no matter how little it is.

Many pointed questions there.

I could pick at the details - for instance, the A-60 format (also known as division III) has not been dead for 30 years; it was done away with in 2008 by a vote of the participating corps. And there are simulcasts of small corps all the time, like those which took place Thursday of championship week. But when you ask if small corps are marketed equally to large corps, I wonder what your expectations are.

DCI was formed by large corps, to serve large corps. I do not expect DCI to serve small corps with equal fervor. But they do provide these corps a place in the DCI universe, complete with their own self-governing board of directors, their own tour, access to other DCI events, DCI office support, and so forth. Obviously, it is not an optimal situation judging from the declining population of corps in that category. Solving that problem, however, will require more precise identification of the issues than "dead for 30 years".

Now we have yet another glimmer of opportunity for small corps with DCI - SoundSport. It is designed to lower the barrier to entry. Naturally, to reduce costs, benefits will also be fewer (no appearance fees, no self-governing BOD, no Blu-Ray discs). If the benefits of event organization by DCI and inclusion in their web environment are not enough, then small corps will pass on the opportunity and seek out other forums like SDCA instead.

I am glad, then, that there are other options like SDCA (and now, SoundSport) for smaller corps. I would prefer that the market provide several options for corps to choose from. Vive la difference.

I have been in contact with John DeNovi, the DCI Sound Sport director, and we are working together to get smaller community based corps formed. John will be inviting SDCA groups to perform in DCI SS shows and he will be and has been giving me the names of the new DCI SS team so that I can invite them to SDCA shows. I hope this has answered the thread.

This is outstanding news, and I wish you nothing but the best!!

You sure about that? Because if they are able to attract enough revenue to get the corps $800-$2500 each in appearance fees, I would say their marketing approach has something going for it.

Would a cool website have compelled you to attend their shows? I doubt it. So rather than waste resources on web design, SDCA has taken a locally oriented approach to marketing. If it fills seats with paying customers, then it is a valid marketing strategy.

I hate to jump into this type of fray, but someone who seemed to be affiliated with SDCA posted that

Since 2007 we have grown to seven regions: Southern Cal, Texas, Gulf Coast, Central, Northern and Eastern Midwest with Florida moving along slowly.

I live in Southern California, and I have never heard of SDCA before this initial post. I agree with you that if the corps has revenue to get corps paid in appearance fees, however I think all can agree that SDCA can do better with marketing. Also, how many corps in 2013 were paid $800-$2500: two? a dozen? several dozen? Throwing out that figure with such a broad stroke can be misleading.

Again though, yeah SDCA AND DCI for taking viable steps to foster and nurture support of upstart, smaller performance groups

I hate to jump into this type of fray, but someone who seemed to be affiliated with SDCA posted that

I live in Southern California, and I have never heard of SDCA before this initial post. I agree with you that if the corps has revenue to get corps paid in appearance fees, however I think all can agree that SDCA can do better with marketing. Also, how many corps in 2013 were paid $800-$2500: two? a dozen? several dozen? Throwing out that figure with such a broad stroke can be misleading.

Again though, yeah SDCA AND DCI for taking viable steps to foster and nurture support of upstart, smaller performance groups

Maybe you haven't had a good pulse on the drum corps activity. I knew about SDCA almost as soon as it was formed. Same for DCNA. There have been a lot of posts about them here, and in other places in cyberspace.

Maybe you haven't had a good pulse on the drum corps activity. I knew about SDCA almost as soon as it was formed. Same for DCNA. There have been a lot of posts about them here, and in other places in cyberspace.

that could very well be.

But I have heard of Soundsport, know a lot about most of the local corps & staffs, shows, etc. I'm definitely not super active though and it's possible I just missed whatever SDCA activity has been going on around here as I've been focused only on DCI corps (FWIW I also don't know a ton about DCA, though I do know of their existence & their mini-corps existence)

that could very well be.

But I have heard of Soundsport, know a lot about most of the local corps & staffs, shows, etc. I'm definitely not super active though and it's possible I just missed whatever SDCA activity has been going on around here as I've been focused only on DCI corps (FWIW I also don't know a ton about DCA, though I do know of their existence & their mini-corps existence)

SDCA is having the SOCAL regional meeting this weekend. Maybe you can check it out. The meeting will be in Huntingdon beach.

From the SDCA website(http://www.thesdca.org/):

SDCA Southern California Meeting

DATE: January 26 2014

TIME: 11:00 AM

15774 Goldenwest St

Huntington Beach, California 92647

Recreation Education Building Room 218

PARK: Parking Lot “J” on Gothard St

SDCA is having the SOCAL regional meeting this weekend. Maybe you can check it out. The meeting will be in Huntingdon beach.

From the SDCA website(http://www.thesdca.org/):

SDCA Southern California Meeting

DATE: January 26 2014

TIME: 11:00 AM

15774 Goldenwest St

Huntington Beach, California 92647

Recreation Education Building Room 218

PARK: Parking Lot “J” on Gothard St

Cool! Thanks for the heads up; I'll be at NAMM this weekend, though (kind of an odd weekend for a music-focused group to have a meeting that's not in Anaheim, though maybe it's counter-programming to help folks get away from the craziest day of NAMM)