The Cadets - 2014

It's because, traditionally, nobody believes anything the Cadets say about what their show is going to entail until the 3rd "announcement". Anyone who has been around a while knows this....

• Like 1

It's because, traditionally, nobody believes anything the Cadets say about what their show is going to entail until the 3rd "announcement". Anyone who has been around a while knows this....

Or more realistically, no one believes what Cadets are going to do with their show until about two minutes after their Finals performance! :silly:

I remember in 1995, when they had a dozen or so different endings, they had a tour shirt in June that was the CBC logo blurry with the caption "Don't worry: it'll be perfectly clear in August." I think in August they had a crystal clear version of the shirt that said something like, "told ya"

FWIW I don't care what a corps chooses to tell us when, but I've always gotten a kick out of Hop being so open about Cadets' planning. Even when they've fairly radically changed their concepts (like the WSS/On The Waterfront mashup from a few years back that would've maybe literally blown me away with so much awesome but was changed for just WSS), it's always fascinating to read about the evolution and thought processes behind designing a field show.

• Like 1

they are being quiet because they have no idea what the show is... george needs to stop pretending he is a good program coordinator. otherwise, its gonna be another half-baked, 3rd place design

George has been around long enough and knows enough to come up with a concept. His team is very capable of getting that concept into a pretty decent product. They are also very lucky to get amazingly talented kids that are willing to be pushed very very hard. I would watch some of the upcoming webinars given by Cadets staff. I'll think your confidence in the Cadets will return.

George has been around long enough and knows enough to come up with a concept. His team is very capable of getting that concept into a pretty decent product. They are also very lucky to get amazingly talented kids that are willing to be pushed very very hard. I would watch some of the upcoming webinars given by Cadets staff. I'll think your confidence in the Cadets will return.

"pretty decent" is not cadets quality. that's the problem. 2012 and 2013 were half-baked and mailed in. 2011 was saved by the drill. 2010, also meh.

• Like 1

I'm not in complete disagreement with you but Cadets did win the music caption last year which demonstrates there is still high quality coming from Allentown. I tend to think the "effect" captions are super subjective with the numbers all over the board and frankly although I loved Crown, I hardly thought BD was this amazingly intriguing design. In line with your comments, Cadets need to come out and nail it this season and most of us homers aren't doing victory dances just yet with the "My favorite President" theme.

Edited by newjerseycorpguy

I popped on last nights Tuesday w/the Cadets for a little bit, anyone else? Few interesting things (to me at least) - Hop really wants to do 56horns/56 guard.. only drawback he mentioned is volume.

Sounds like they've dropped Appalachian Spring and switched to Copland's 3rd..

No plans to use any of the new instruments yet, but if they did at most would be for solo.

No movable props, but there will be "stages" (7-9 feet high he said) for performers to "rise above" the corps. He would LOVE lighting, but since that's not available, this is a way to focus the audience on what they want you to look at.

Promised no down/soft ending this year.

One thing that surprised me as a brass player - everyone uses the same mouthpiece, which sounds like a horrible idea.

Anyhow, that's what I remember (had it on while doing something else)

56/56 idea seems pretty radical.

1. Not sure you can fairly compete with 80 member brass teams in volume and fullness but maybe?

2. Cadets guards have not been hitting home runs lately so increasing the number indicates they are making some dramatic changes to the program as

far as staging and visual enhancement.

we'll see what actually comes into fruition.

56/56 idea seems pretty radical.

1. Not sure you can fairly compete with 80 member brass teams in volume and fullness but maybe?

2. Cadets guards have not been hitting home runs lately so increasing the number indicates they are making some dramatic changes to the program as

far as staging and visual enhancement.

we'll see what actually comes into fruition.

Just want to clarify that they're not doing 56/56 (think he said 72 horns), but that he would love to be able to do it and envisions the drill with a lot of "paired off" stuff. Personally I want more horns and less guard than we have now, but that's just me.

• Like 1