The Cadets - 2014

You can bet on at least some of the narration being overtop or simultaneous with music. Every Cadets show with narration (digital or live) has this, and the current clip has it, too.

So then it's a matter of:

• What quotes do they use.
  • Speakers' voice and delivery.
  • Frequency of narration.
  • Integration with music and visual.
  • Overall theme and flow of the show.

I agree with you somewhat. I have never liked narration in any show. I'll most likely be open minded about it since Cadets are my most favorite corps, but I just hope it doesn't take over the show like it did in 2007 or 2008. And make that drill as fantastic as 2007 was, and I'll be a pretty happy camper.

I want to love the Cadets, they used to be one of my favorite corps. We'll see.

Can't say I was pleased to hear "Promise of Living"... again... in that clip.

Some of their design stuff lately seems so knee jerk, like they spent a whole 5 minutes thinking about and searching for ideas.

Some of their design stuff lately seems so knee jerk, like they spent a whole 5 minutes thinking about and searching for ideas.

You know what the problem is? When Cadets play something they've never played before, they seem to win (We Are The Future, Dreamscapes in 4 parts..., Between Angels and Demons), but every time they rehash something, we're forced to make comparisons to the previous version and for some reason, the updated version doesn't seem to be as good as before. I'm hoping they do well with this show. I'm not really gonna get bent out of shape over a short clip, but I am also not going to get excited until I see the full show.

Edited by 2000Cadet

You know what the problem is? When Cadets play something they've never played before, they seem to win (We Are The Future, Dreamscapes in 4 parts..., Between Angels and Demons), but every time they rehash something, we're forced to make comparisons to the previous version and for some reason, the updated version doesn't seem to be as good as before. I'm hoping they do well with this show. I'm not really gonna get bent out of shape over a short clip, but I am also not going to get excited until I see the full show.

It's not even that we've heard it before recently, but we've heard it before... from them.

My gripe isn't specific to PoL being used again so much as the general lack of new ideas coming out of Allentown....

I don't think there was anything particularly novel about Crown last year but I enjoyed the show and am glad they won. I thought BD has had some of the worst "winning" shows in the past few years and they were very different so I'm not sure what would make people happy out of Allentown. Cadets are more appealing to me when they are more Cadet traditional in their approach vs. when they try to be weird. Thoughts?

I don't think there was anything particularly novel about Crown last year but I enjoyed the show and am glad they won. I thought BD has had some of the worst "winning" shows in the past few years and they were very different so I'm not sure what would make people happy out of Allentown. Cadets are more appealing to me when they are more Cadet traditional in their approach vs. when they try to be weird. Thoughts?

Early videos have me feeling better about what the Cadets will bring to the field.

I was initially disappointed when they first announced this year's show concept but I've been listening to a lot of Copland lately and it's incredible how well his music works on the field - as if it was purposely written for wide open spaces. Cadets have always done well with Copland.

On the other hand, because of this activity I've added a ton of new music to my personal collection so a new season invites the opportunity to hear things I've never heard before. Even one piece from an artist I'm not familiar wish often cascades into an entire new collection for me to listen to.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1

Interesting, as I would think the opposite. I think they spend a LOT of time thinking about and searching for ideas only to come to the conclusion that "Promise of Living" is the best piece to use. I mean, it's a classic. Could they have found other pieces to use that say Americana? Maybe, but nothing as recognizable. It's Copland.

• Like 1

For many tradition-minded fans, the new version of anything is never as good as the older version.

Interesting, as I would think the opposite. I think they spend a LOT of time thinking about and searching for ideas only to come to the conclusion that "Promise of Living" is the best piece to use. I mean, it's a classic. Could they have found other pieces to use that say Americana? Maybe, but nothing as recognizable. It's Copland.

All of Copland's music that I've heard has that quality, and the vast majority of it hasn't been played.

In general it has to be said that drum corps, including top drum corps, go back to the same well way more than necessary. Each time it happens we can come up with reasons it makes sense this time, but over the long haul it's clearly unnecessary. I think it comes from a time when they would play the same music in consecutive years, presumably on the theory that they would have more practice and would play it better. So as long as they're not doing that, it seems OK, to them. But not to many fans, who want to see a drum corps take on something new.

Edited by Pete Freedman
  • Like 1