The Cadets - 2014

DCP'ers, on the whole ,are ok with this stuff, imo. The 2013 Crossmen show had the potential to become a lightening rod for controversy, but in the end, it came out fine with its messaging and with not a lot of flack from DCP'ers on here I thought. Its all in the presentation it seems to me..

Partly in the presentation, and partly in the placement. If they have an off year and are vying for 4-6 place, there's a possibility that it will be easier for some folks who like to find hidden meanings to gloss over any perceived slights than if they are in the running to take it all.

Partly in the presentation, and partly in the placement. If they have an off year and are vying for 4-6 place, there's a possibility that it will be easier for some folks who like to find hidden meanings to gloss over any perceived slights than if they are in the running to take it all.

At first I thought you meant the Crossmen. If that's an off year we'll definitely be talking about them!

As far as the Cadets go, I put them in 2nd in the Predictions thread, on the basis that the kind of kid who wants to march America's Drum Corps is also the kind of kid who will revel in this concept. If you're right, they should avoid controversy - unless they want it, of course...

I think the audience (and DCP) reaction will NOT be based on the content of the narration but on :

a: delivery. if they find a james earl jones to speak, things will be just fine. the problem with material from "great presidents" is the high bar which said material sets for the speaker.

b: integration. it's easy to have great spoken material become very irritating if it doesn't "fit" with everything else that's happening.

Edited by corpsband

I think the audience (and DCP) reaction will NOT be based on the content of the narration but on :

a: delivery. if they find a james earl jones to speak, things will be just fine. the problem with material from "great presidents" is the high bar which said material sets for the speaker.

b: integration. it's easy to have great spoken material become very irritating if it doesn't "fit" with everything else that's happening.

True. Some won't like it because any narration is a show killer for them no matter the delivery, content and such.. But by and large, most of others will be open minded. My personal bar is set at " no narration during the music playing by the performers ". If the Corps avoids this, then I'm open minded to it all... that and no preachiness with the narration utilized.

Edited by BRASSO

These types of shows ( with narration) really do nothing for me. The message doesn't matter. I do not feel that competitive marching band or drum corps are places for "verbal messages" and personal opinions. I'm even leery about using our idiom with narration to even describe events. I mean aren't there other venues for that? Why not just stick to music and motion to express ourselves within the confides of THIS idiom?

Now, I've heard music with narration at various museums, and that seems appropriate in those settings, where the music is not the focus. In those venues, the message is what is most important So I don't hate the idea of music with voice-over, it's just that these types of shows come across as pretentious. The message should not be the focus of these shows, and these marching units should not be the mouth piece for a political or social message from the designers.

So I'll probably not be too into this show, yet again.

The music sounds pretty cool. It probably could stand on it's own.

I know many will disagree with me, but this show sounds like it's going to be full on talking during most of it. Its makes the music and motion secondary to the narration and message that we will be directed to get.

The specific message may be a good one, but the whole idea of this show, the way it's being constructed ( narration > music & motion) is where I have the problem.

...and incidentally this may be the reason for the relative Cadets silence.

I agree with you somewhat. I have never liked narration in any show. I'll most likely be open minded about it since Cadets are my most favorite corps, but I just hope it doesn't take over the show like it did in 2007 or 2008. And make that drill as fantastic as 2007 was, and I'll be a pretty happy camper.

I do hope the "James Earl Jones" is at least a member of the corps delivering the narration live and not someone else prerecorded. If the narration is as large a part of the show as seems likely to be the case, it would be a real cop-out for so much of the corps' "performance" to be canned.

• Like 1

Cadets 2014: Anything you can do I can do better.

well it's pretty much fact that they can drum cleaner

:ninja:

if the show doesn't take a leftist political tilt then I'll heat my hat. Err shako

the music sounds great - supposedly the brass line is very strong (even compared to last year) and the battery is incredible again. Hopefully the program will be good enough to overcome the narration.

well they have Lincoln in there, so they plan to be bipartisan.

oh come on, you have recordings of Lincoln hidden around somewhere to use, don't lie

:tounge2: