The Cadets - 2014

The announcer should never, ever leave the stage. Pick a costume, and leave him in it. He should move off to one side and acknowledge anyone else who comes up there, but that's it.

some hydrylic lift would be cool , like real stages...lower and lift up would be cool.hmmmmmmmmm You were talking about the narrator, right?

Edited by GUARDLING

The announcer should never, ever leave the stage. Pick a costume, and leave him in it. He should move off to one side and acknowledge anyone else who comes up there, but that's it.

OK...little levity here...but when watching Cadets tonite in a living room full of corps geeks, of course the narration thing came up, uniform he's wearing, the fact that he's lip syncing, and gradually the great drum corps took over and all that died down...'til a judge walked out from behind the stage. We all laughed when someone suggested he (the judge) just kinda stroll on up there and check out the show!

OK...little levity here...but when watching Cadets tonite in a living room full of corps geeks, of course the narration thing came up, uniform he's wearing, the fact that he's lip syncing, and gradually the great drum corps took over and all that died down...'til a judge walked out from behind the stage. We all laughed when someone suggested he (the judge) just kinda stroll on up there and check out the show!

Jordan actually kneels and conducts behind the stage, also changes uniforms and I think serves lite refreshments to the judges but not Jeff Prosperie this year. That stage is paramount.

• Like 2

Yep, that should help muster the 9 points gap between them and BD.

agreed - it was a 96+ quality performance

we've been through this before - it was called 2007

they will be moved into 3rd place finals week - mark my word

Cadets were very amazing tonight.

Well perhaps Bluecoats had an amazing performance (percussion 19.8) and the stars lined up (won brass over Crown) and still haven't beat Cadets. I think we had this discussion this time last season about SCV overtaking Cadets. The show may not be as popular with the crowds but it is still well constructed and performed at an amazing level. Judging sometimes defies our impressions. I certainly can't justify BD gaps over Cadets and Bluecoats but they remain. Lots of things evaluated by different eyes to come up with the final score. Edited by theCHEZman

Prosperie must have saw something - very odd score for sure

I'd also lose the quotes at the very end - just let the music speak for itself

The tarps to me are a "non-issue" - don't really add anything or subtract, just "there"

The corps marched and played brilliantly - very impressive indeed. That was about a 96.5 type performance.

There was a major change on the battery drill after the feature, installed yesterday, which was flawed in execution. I'm now thinking that with max cleaning, this show could approach 97 by next Saturday.

Saw this show in West Chester PA a few nights ago and I'm amazed with the very high level of execution from everybody in the corps! The big stage at the front is super cool and unlike any other set piece I've seen used at this level, and the narration was superb. My only big concern is not with the performers but with the design team's decisions. As a politically-aware and socially-aware US citizen I was a bit jarred by the decision to uncritically glorify past US presidents' wartime quotations. Especially for an organization promoting youth education in the arts, this seems like a glaring oversight-- we need to teach young adults to think critically about states/countries, mass authority, and state-initiated conflict. But, my end impression wasn't disappointment with the show theme, it was amazement with the overall very high level of musicianship and athleticism on display. Bravo.

• Like 1