The Cadets - 2014

I mostly agree. Art should challenge. Patriotism doesn't conventionally challenge, but it could-- it just would be more nuanced than the kind of bombastic patriotism you're talking about.

Except that there are plenty here who have a problem with patriotism, starting challenging conversations and prompting thought from people who read it. Sounds kinda like art to me.

How about some well designed drill to Hovhaness' Mysterious Mountain or the Hindemith Mathis Der Maler? Either could be awesome.

I've never heard a corps execute string parts better than the Cadets.

Has anyone ever pulled off a string quartet on the field? (Outside of whatever quartet 'adagio for strings' is from).

No one's done any Czech show (besides dvorak's 9th). I love hearing Szell/Cleveland's rendition of Janacek's Sinfonietta. The brass in that piece rocks.

But there is SO much great contemporary music that people just haven't heard, and I love it when I'm introduced to pieces through corps, like Cadets '91, or 2011, or '98, among other years.

• Like 1

I've never heard a corps execute string parts better than the Cadets.

Has anyone ever pulled off a string quartet on the field? (Outside of whatever quartet 'adagio for strings' is from).

It's not exactly a string quartet, but it's close enough for this argument. Shostakovitch's Fourth Ballet Suite, 1996 Phantom Regiment.

• Like 1

If they were to do a dark show, I think black tops would look very fierce on them. Just for a year of course.

At some point, the traditional Cadets uniform will need to get shelved. I think it's safe to say they currently have the most conservative uniform design in the top 12 and sooner or later. I can see the colors remaining, but a more modern take will be needed to keep up with the Joneses of DCI.

IMO of course.

• Like 1

At some point, the traditional Cadets uniform will need to get shelved. I think it's safe to say they currently have the most conservative uniform design in the top 12 and sooner or later. I can see the colors remaining, but a more modern take will be needed to keep up with the Joneses of DCI.

IMO of course.

I respectfully disagree with you with the uniform (of course I would lol). They can still do plenty of things today and keep that uniform. I mean hell, they pulled off Angels and Demons by keeping the same style of the uniform. I am sure they can pull off many things keeping the uniform style the same. Besides, I love being able to recognize who they are without asking, "Who's this again?", no offense to any other corps.

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree with you with the uniform (of course I would lol). They can still do plenty of things today and keep that uniform. I mean hell, they pulled off Angels and Demons by keeping the same style of the uniform. I am sure they can pull off many things keeping the uniform style the same. Besides, I love being able to recognize who they are without asking, "Who's this again?", no offense to any other corps.

Maybe you're right. I just don't see this design sticking around forever.

IMO of course.

I certainly hope so! I don't want them to radically change it but it needs to get a bit modernized at this point (in my opinion). Their uniforms almost seem out of place now.

I certainly hope so! I don't want them to radically change it but it needs to get a bit modernized at this point (in my opinion). Their uniforms almost seem out of place now.

I actually like Cadets2's uniforms a bit more, but the classic look is fine.

Not sure how long y'all been around, but they tried "modernizing" the uniform about ten years ago. Didn't go over very well.

• Like 1