The Cadets - 2014

I certainly hope so! I don't want them to radically change it but it needs to get a bit modernized at this point (in my opinion). Their uniforms almost seem out of place now.

I could not disagree more. This is an argument that's been around for at least 20 years. This is a uniform that will never go out if style while all the other ones will come and go. There have been several trends over the years that we're cutting edge and then gone. But this uniform stays.

• Like 1

Safe and predictable? You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but my view is polar opposite. The actual "what" is anything but safe. And the only thing predictable is that the design team was willing to go out on a ledge and try some things that might not be popular now but will be something others will have the courage to investigate later.

The obvious dimension in which it's safe and predictable is the concept and overall design - it's pretty much exactly the same formula the Cadets themselves have used a bunch of times. There's the expected visual homage to 1987 at the end. Musically, The Promise of Living and Appalachian Spring are standard takes on these works - it's not like they re-invented or re-discovered or re-imagined either piece - and I find them less musically compelling than what the Cadets have fielded in the past.

What are the parts where you think they went "out on a ledge"? I certainly agree that the brass, guard and percussion parts ask a lot of the performers, but the same is true of the groups that are beating them in those captions.

This. I am a self professed bleeding heart, blue dog, Rachel Maddow watching, don't trust anyone over 30, conscientious objecting, Hillary voting liberal. And this us my favorite show this year.

There is nothing wrong with the occasional celebration of us. And if it's good enough for Stephen Gage, it's good enough for me.

Rush would be proud of you. :laugh:

+++

I had a genuine goosebump moment watching and listening to the new ending in Canton.

Cadets show works for me. :thumbup:

02_20_2004_terry.jpg

If memory serves, it was not an actual jacket that opened in the front, but slipped on with a zipper up the back. Also the cross belt and breast plate weren't "real". I think it only lasted a couple of seasons before they returned to the traditional uniforms. Tradition is quite important in the Cadet family.

I'm not sure how that looks modern in any form but I agree that isn't the best look on them.

I've discussed this before so I know how frazzled everyone gets at the suggestion of the Cadets changing their uniforms but I stand by my opinion that their look has gotten a bit stale.

they don't need to change a classic

heck fashion "trends" rotate in circles anyway - and many predict a return to traditionalism, nationalism and patriotism over the next five years in USA

so hold fast, what's "old" is new again before you know it!

The obvious dimension in which it's safe and predictable is the concept and overall design - it's pretty much exactly the same formula the Cadets themselves have used a bunch of times. There's the expected visual homage to 1987 at the end. Musically, The Promise of Living and Appalachian Spring are standard takes on these works - it's not like they re-invented or re-discovered or re-imagined either piece - and I find them less musically compelling than what the Cadets have fielded in the past.

What are the parts where you think they went "out on a ledge"? I certainly agree that the brass, guard and percussion parts ask a lot of the performers, but the same is true of the groups that are beating them in those captions.

I won't disagree that other groups are also doing difficult things. To be fair, there aren't a lot of groups beating them in anything :)

But just because it might be less compelling to you doesn't make it safe. The tempi, the musical vocabulary and the body work are all extraordinarily difficult to achieve and the clean. Crown has the moment with all the trumpets spread across the field and the flying discs. BD has the jarring Fellini like "acting" sequences. Coats have WGI like opening "staging" that is less drill-y than others. There are other great moments this year as well, and I appreciate many of them. None of that negates that Cadets are not just clean but clean while doing really difficult stuff. That is most definitely not safe. As for predictable, I guess it's predictable for them to be hauling at 200 bpm ( yes, I got out the Dr. Beat and checked). It's also predictable to try things that people will criticize just so it's out there. The narrator, the costume changes, the stage, the tarps, the in your face optimism. So, yes, controversy ( although why this show is controversial is beyond me) may be predictable for them. Of course, I have to wonder why this show is so controversial and Troopers is not. Or Oregon Crusaders (with a spectacular horn line!) for that matter.

I won't disagree that other groups are also doing difficult things. To be fair, there aren't a lot of groups beating them in anything :)

But just because it might be less compelling to you doesn't make it safe. The tempi, the musical vocabulary and the body work are all extraordinarily difficult to achieve and the clean. Crown has the moment with all the trumpets spread across the field and the flying discs. BD has the jarring Fellini like "acting" sequences. Coats have WGI like opening "staging" that is less drill-y than others. There are other great moments this year as well, and I appreciate many of them. None of that negates that Cadets are not just clean but clean while doing really difficult stuff. That is most definitely not safe. As for predictable, I guess it's predictable for them to be hauling at 200 bpm ( yes, I got out the Dr. Beat and checked). It's also predictable to try things that people will criticize just so it's out there. The narrator, the costume changes, the stage, the tarps, the in your face optimism. So, yes, controversy ( although why this show is controversial is beyond me) may be predictable for them. Of course, I have to wonder why this show is so controversial and Troopers is not. Or Oregon Crusaders (with a spectacular horn line!) for that matter.

Why would Oregon Crusaders be controversial?

I'm not sure how that looks modern in any form but I agree that isn't the best look on them.

I've discussed this before so I know how frazzled everyone gets at the suggestion of the Cadets changing their uniforms but I stand by my opinion that their look has gotten a bit stale.

It was moderninzed to meet the demands of marching contemporary drum corps. When I marched, getting into the uniform required a delicate combination of buttons, zippers, velcro and safety pins that had to be just right, lest the whole thing blow out at speed.