Blue Stars 2014 "Where the Heart Is"

Then you have seen/heard that music in a context in which John Williams absolutely does not want to occur. Williams, and his publishers, will not give permission to arrange, nor will they give permission to perform, record, or sync any music from Schilnder's List unless it strictly deals with the specific historical subject matter. They feel it so powerful to the original historical account that they do not want the music to be used in any other manner.

not to beat a dead horse. BUT I guess just wearing a red sparkle skaters outfit made it ok to use Schindlers list tonight...maybe that kept it in the historical subject matter I guess :silly:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

If that is the case a corps can title a show, "The Way to Love a Woman; a Blissful Relationship"; and without intending to be sarcastic but actually portraying the blissful love, they can use the music from the movie Sid and Nancy, the punk rock group the Sex Pistols, as well as excerpts form many of the other misogynistic rock bands because, as you say, they just like the music and the background of the pieces do not matter.

Yes: a corps can take any source material they want and twist it, arrange it, or repurpose the music for any visual context they choose. If a corps wishes to take a straight-up faithful rendition of the piece, fine. If a corps chooses to take the music and make it fit within the context of other pieces of seemingly unrelated music & visual ideas, fine. All that matters (to me as an audience member) is that the show works within itself.

Like any other adaptations of art, I'm not concerned or bogged-down by original intent or context as long as said adaptations work within itself. For example, last summers' MAN OF STEEL did not sit well with some Superman fans, as they felt Superman allowing the deaths of civilians + killing Zod = not in character with the 75 years of comic history (even though Superman did indeed kill Zod once in the comics). I didn't have a problem with that, as I felt in that regard the film worked within its own confines & logic.

Same goes here: if Blue Stars take a piece of music to make it work within their visual design, that's all I care about. If a corps wants to do a romantic show while juxtaposing Sid & Nancy (a GREAT film) & Sex Pistols music, as long as it works within the show design I'm 100% fine with that. Very few composers write musical works intending it to be arranged for a different medium, with different parameters (instrumentation, time, visual presentation, tempos even, etc) so we've already moved far beyond composer intent when it comes to drum corps source material.

• Like 2

Then you have seen/heard that music in a context in which John Williams absolutely does not want to occur. Williams, and his publishers, will not give permission to arrange, nor will they give permission to perform, record, or sync any music from Schilnder's List unless it strictly deals with the specific historical subject matter. They feel it so powerful to the original historical account that they do not want the music to be used in any other manner.

I saw John Williams conduct music from SCHINDLER'S LIST at the Hollywood Bowl during one of his annual concerts. These concerts are often light-hearted affairs, fairly reminiscent of an (insanely high quality) 'pops' concert that concluded with a crowd of thousands (including the timpanist) waving light sabers during the IMPERIAL MARCH.

Also, you are wrong about John Williams and his publishers not giving permission to arrange music from SCHINDLER'S LIST. You can purchase several different arrangements of music from the film (as a simple search at jwpepper shows): ranging from full orchestra, small chamber, solo, piano, band, etc.

If your contention is John Williams won't give permission to people to arrange SCHINDLER'S LIST for marching band, that is correct for the most part: but that's correct of John Williams compositions on general.

I don't mean to stray further off topic, just wanted to correct a few falsities that Stu made.

• Like 1

I know they're not popular on here.......but I am really excited about this corps. The show has a lot of emotional potential, and it is a big anniversary year. Second year with the same staff as well. Hope they prove everyone wrong and place really well, but who cares if they don't. I'll support them wherever they place. Super excited about what I am sure is going to an absolute beast of a percussion section and a great show. I know where my heart is this summer.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

I know they're not popular on here.......but I am really excited about this corps. The show has a lot of emotional potential, and it is a big anniversary year. Second year with the same staff as well. Hope they prove everyone wrong and place really well, but who cares if they don't. I'll support them wherever they place. Super excited about what I am sure is going to an absolute beast of a percussion section and a great show. I know where my heart is this summer.

Its ok if people dont want to talk about them I will gladly talk with you about them. 50th is important when we celebrate other groups more that have less. Some people forget what this corps has went through with going in active for a little coming back as Div III, winning a championship, and getting back to World class and into finals. I know a bunch of people that are there this summer and alot of staff. Theres nothing be great comments. There was a large vet return unlike recent years and the staff back for year 2 is just improving on where everything ended. The percussion music written is so Pulse like its amazing and Saucedo did not disappoint. The show is like a complete 180 from the dark dissonant music last year. Ive read that the vibe around there is just like what it was around Bluecoats when they went 13-12-8.

This thread makes me want to punt a small child.

• Like 1