DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

DCI February 2014 Podcast-

To paraphrase James Mason of the Madison Scouts: He stated his first rules congress with Gail Royer was concerned with going two valve..and Gail said we are no longer drum corps. He goes on to state that percussion arrangers have had a full palet to choose from for years, brass arrangers should have that as well.

He addressed trombones specifically, in that a fine trombone player might thing twice about putting down his instrument for three months (summer), but now they don't have to. Think of all of the great trombone players that don't get to march corps. When asked he says drum and bugle corps has been dead for years and we are really drum and brass.

Skip ahead to the 11:30 mark to hear Mason's comments.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=517132d9-663e-4a24-933d-e0b4796b6820

Edited by jonnyboy
  • Like 1

The biggest surprise to me is how many folks are acting like five corps just up and folded at the same time.

Adding instrumentation is not going to destroy the activity. You'll still have the Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Cadets, Bluecoats, Madison Scouts, Boston Crusaders, etc. I'll still have my corps in 2014 and beyond. The brass instrumentation will generally stay the same until a corps showcases how good new brass instruments can be on the field. If the Blue Devils show me an amazing product that proves trombones belong on the field they can have them. If the Cavaliers don't want to put trombones on the field then they don't have to. Instrumentation is entirely up to the corps themselves.

tl;dr, corps are still corps. All the members will still be running around during move-ins and touring in buses.

Edited by Trask
  • Like 1

Madison will likely be the only corps that will take advantage of the new rule change with a trombone soloist. Afterall, it was Madison who proposed the rule change to be in effect for this year. So feel free to uh, "boycott" Madison souvenirs this year... i guess...

Also, apparently this wasn't the only thing that was passed for the coming year!!! :D

Edited by charlie1223

By chance are you using Internet Explorer 11?

Yep known problem on DCP and elsewhere..... I have to use Google Chrome *gag* when I need to quote....

DCI February 2014 Podcast-

To paraphrase James Mason of the Madison Scouts: He stated his first rules congress with Gail Royer was concerned with going two valve..and Gail said we are no longer drum corps. He goes on to state that percussion arrangers have had a full paler to choose from for years, brass arrangers should have that as well.

He addressed trombones specifically, in that a fine trombone player might thing twice about putting down his instrument for three months (summer), but now they don't have to. Think of all of the great trombone players that don't get to march corps. When asked he says drum and bugle corps has been dead for years and we are really drum and brass.

Skip ahead to the 11:30 mark to hear Mason's comments.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=517132d9-663e-4a24-933d-e0b4796b6820

Well I listened to it.

He would make one heck of a Shaklee or Amway salesman because he almost sound convincing when you hear him laying it out the way he lays it out.

But when you look at from our point Gail's point of view. Gail was the only one right.

Its not Drum And Bugle Corps anymore. Its something else. What Mason fails to realize (or ignores) is that there is already a division for Trombones and Sousaphones. Its called BAND!

Well I listened to it.

He would make one heck of a Shaklee or Amway salesman because he almost sound convincing when you hear him laying it out the way he lays it out.

But when you look at from our point Gail's point of view. Gail was the only one right.

Its not Drum And Bugle Corps anymore. Its something else. What Mason fails to realize (or ignores) is that there is already a division for Trombones and Sousaphones. Its called BAND!

is that the same with trumpets and tubas? just askin

Normally I would "like" your posts but it seems I have exceeded my allotment of positivity for the day.

Oh man, where to start with the smart ###ed comments on this one..... :tounge2:

I keed (kid) because I like ya buddy..... :cool:

Well I listened to it.

I guess what MAson is telling serious trombone players in that interview is that if you are a serious trombone player and going to spend the next 3 years at college learning to be a trombone player then drum corps is going to ruin your embrasure and that Madison Scouts will not be able to teach him anything beneficial to his music or music education.

is that the same with trumpets and tubas? just askin

When they switched to trumpets and tubas I started calling them Drum and Trumpet Bands. SO YES!