Rain in DCI

To be more correct, we ensure the most important show of the season, as well as one of DCI's primary moneymakers AND all of the other large Regional shows DCI produces that are also indoors, doesn't get canceled. If 2012 Finals would've been canceled, that would've been catastrophic.

On the money. I'll take indoors over paying to see an event and not getting a chance to do so, any time.

And the older I get... the thought of watching drum corps indoors, in air conditioning, without the sun beating down or rain falling, appeals to me more and more. :tongue:

• Like 1

To be more correct, we ensure the most important show of the season, as well as one of DCI's primary moneymakers AND all of the other large Regional shows DCI produces that are also indoors, doesn't get canceled. If 2012 Finals would've been canceled, that would've been catastrophic. Even in CA one of the largest marching band circuit Championships had to be canceled because of rain, disappointing a ton of students, parents, fans, and school staff members. I was there in 1993 for that rain, and it is a small miracle that things didn't get worse; hell, it was a miracle Finals HAVEN'T been rained out before moving indoors! Before 2012 I was with you; but after seeing the benefits of being indoors, I think there's no question that sacrificing sound for insuring Finals won't be canceled is more than adequate.

Oh, and of course there is the whole safety thing. Weren't there fatalities in Indy in 2012 at another, outdoor venue that had major problems with the rain? While DCI fans were inside Oil Can marveling at the sound of rain on the roof, people at another entertainment venue were literally dying because of the weather. That Glassmen video posted here is kind of funny, and a hype, and any of use who marched a season or two likely has a similar story to tell. However, the dark side of that story is the potential for a member to seriously hurt themselves while moving at 200 bpm in torrential rain. Or a fan slipping on stadium steps and breaking a bone. It's my understanding that even in 2012 with huge rain corps could warm-up indoors as well as perform indoors. That is INCREDIBLE, and that is completely worth whatever sound deficiencies are inherent with domes. I'm with you that outdoors sounds a LOT better than indoors, but to trivialize the benefits as "yeah we get AC!" is a disservice.

the funny thing is....

rain was never really an issue on finals week until the move to Indy!

all those years outside....no rain or a little....and we move to a place known for thunderstorms in August that are about as common as the ticking of time....and now we have issues that are used to justify the roof.

imagine that.

the funny thing is....

all those years outside....no rain or a little....and we move to a place known for thunderstorms in August that are about as common as the ticking of time....and now we have issues that are used to justify the roof.

imagine that.

Orlando had alot to do with that..a hot mess at times although I liked it there...and not just that even the smaller shows or regionals...anytime there was rain and people lost money and traveled to get to a show there were many who didnt want to watch any standstill and wanted their money back ( which they didnt get )..no rain dates in drum corps today...people got to a point where they werent going to spend hundreds on a chance. Cant blame them for that...who knows maybe THATS a reason less were coming and NOW getting more..as another poster said YES sound is better outside BUT its pretty nice sitting in AC comfy and knowing its not going to rain out...who knows

the funny thing is....

imagine that.

Except for the year in Mississippi, and all of those years in Florida. And Foxboro in 1994. And Foxboro in 2005.

• Like 1

Orlando had alot to do with that..a hot mess at times although I liked it there...and not just that even the smaller shows or regionals...anytime there was rain and people lost money and traveled to get to a show there were many who didnt want to watch any standstill and wanted their money back ( which they didnt get )..no rain dates in drum corps today...people got to a point where they werent going to spend hundreds on a chance. Cant blame them for that...who knows maybe THATS a reason less were coming and NOW getting more..as another poster said YES sound is better outside BUT its pretty nice sitting in AC comfy and knowing its not going to rain out...who knows

i'm sure some will blame global warming too.

but it is funny that all of those years, few if any issues, then we move to where's the roof, and also nasty storms every year in early August. I mean really it was 6 years after orlando til it moved to Indy, so I doubt Orlando's a valid reason, because they knew what orlando was when they decided to go back...didn't stop them did it?

Maybe it's just me, but if they decided to hold finals outside, and in the west, i'd bet they'd get attendance at 04 or 07 levels.

Except for the year in Mississippi, and all of those years in Florida. And Foxboro in 1994. And Foxboro in 2005.

so at best 7 times in the 36 years were outside. less than 20%, and not all were on finals night.

so at best 7 times in the 36 years were outside. less than 20%, and not all were on finals night.

I think 2011 now was the only time that it rained in Indy at Finals. 2012 was during Quarters, it rained during Semis in 2009. 2005 was during Finals, as was 1993. 1994 was during Quarters I believe, and was Semis or Quarters in 1996 it rained?

Not to mention all of those shows during the season that get rained out. A lot more of those than Finals week. I think the only indoor show to get rained out was Georgia in 2006, and that was a crazy act of nature.

I think 2011 now was the only time that it rained in Indy at Finals. 2012 was during Quarters, it rained during Semis in 2009. 2005 was during Finals, as was 1993. 1994 was during Quarters I believe, and was Semis or Quarters in 1996 it rained?

Not to mention all of those shows during the season that get rained out. A lot more of those than Finals week. I think the only indoor show to get rained out was Georgia in 2006, and that was a crazy act of nature.

true, but you're missing the point.

in all of the years before Indy, rain was less of a threat in finals week ( not counting Orlando...even morons know it rains there every day in august)...than it's been in Indy. while i don't remember rain in 2010, it was like 1000000% humidity even at midnight.

I'll lay odds an outdoor finals to the left of Indy on the map gets a bigger crowd. good odds.

i'm sure some will blame global warming too.

but it is funny that all of those years, few if any issues, then we move to where's the roof, and also nasty storms every year in early August. I mean really it was 6 years after orlando til it moved to Indy, so I doubt Orlando's a valid reason, because they knew what orlando was when they decided to go back...didn't stop them did it?

Maybe it's just me, but if they decided to hold finals outside, and in the west, i'd bet they'd get attendance at 04 or 07 levels.

you may get more attendance BUT for business..imagine rain.....any chance....people arent satisfied anymore losing money to go to any show....maybe show someday will all end up in arenas as crowds get smaller and corps dont want to deal with the elements......another poster said they would rather quality of sound a bit for guarantee of good weather..with the cost of things today it cant be ignored.

true, but you're missing the point.

in all of the years before Indy, rain was less of a threat in finals week ( not counting Orlando...even morons know it rains there every day in august)...than it's been in Indy. while i don't remember rain in 2010, it was like 1000000% humidity even at midnight.

I'll lay odds an outdoor finals to the left of Indy on the map gets a bigger crowd. good odds.

Indy gives a nice, centralized location for DCI's operations. Nice big airport, train stations, nice big place for shows. And they have a good deal worked out. As much as Finals somewhere else would be awesome, like the new Levi's Stadium, I can see why they have the long-term deal in Indy