Rain in DCI

DCA has had worse luck. Finals were rained out in 1987, leaving the Prelims scores to stand as final. And the sound on the 1999 Finals video (I think it was) is terrible because of the constant rain. I'm a latecomer to following DCA, but I'm pretty sure other years have had Prelims rain-outs. It appear that while the 2006 Prelims weren't rained out, they were steadily rained on, and perhaps cold, and fairly miserable.

Not having the risk of a rain-out is obviously to the good, but it cannot be repeated often enough that for most of the attendees in Lucas Oil, the sound is miserable. Unless you can get a seat in one of the few sections where that's not the case, you're much better off just buying the webcast (presuming it works). If you want to hear drum corps at their peak in person without those terrible acoustics, try Massillon, which is typically just a few days earlier. (Though Massillon has had complete and partial rainouts through the years.) As soon as DCI's original Indianapolis lease is up, they must, must, must make arrangements to at least take championships elsewhere in alternate years. Evens in Indianapolis, odds in sunny California?

Not having the risk of a rain-out is obviously to the good, but it cannot be repeated often enough that for most of the attendees in Lucas Oil, the sound is miserable. Unless you can get a seat in one of the few sections where that's not the case, you're much better off just buying the webcast (presuming it works). If you want to hear drum corps at their peak in person without those terrible acoustics, try Massillon, which is typically just a few days earlier. (Though Massillon has had complete and partial rainouts through the years.) As soon as DCI's original Indianapolis lease is up, they must, must, must make arrangements to at least take championships elsewhere in alternate years. Evens in Indianapolis, odds in sunny California?

Sounds like a good idea for me. Finals in California would be great for fans.

At the very least, I wish they would at least TRY to open the roof one year during good weather and see if that helps with the sound. It was a major selling point when they moved to Indy that has been totally unused.

I know that topic has been talked to death here, so I'll try not to start that up again.

I would be curious to hear from anyone who might've been in the stands to see BD at Finals in 2012, and then to see them perform at the Colts game in open room. I'd love to hear acoustic analysis (though there would be FAR more fans at the Colts game, which would obviously affect acoustics, but still...)

I would love to hear an analysis of how the football fans reacted to the Blue Devils! Seriously, does anyone know?

Unless it happened two years in a row--I wasn't there in 2012--it was actually 2011 when the Saturday show at Allentown got rain. It was never thunderstorms, just drear and more or less wet. As I recall, the worst came at the end, for the performances by Cadets, Crown, and the Bridgemen Alumni.

you're right, 11 my error.

Sounds like a good idea for me. Finals in California would be great for fans.

At the very least, I wish they would at least TRY to open the roof one year during good weather and see if that helps with the sound. It was a major selling point when they moved to Indy that has been totally unused.

I know that topic has been talked to death here, so I'll try not to start that up again.

they won't. there's no drainage system

It was actually the 2011 Finals during which storms hit, and people died at the State Fair a few miles away, but also during the Prelims in, I think, 2012: I remember the cinema broadcast was lost for about 20 minutes somewhere around fifth or sixth place, though they were kind enough to show those corps' performances again at the end.

Yes, in 2011 it was high winds that would have closed the show. Folk were killed at the nearby state fair and the oil can staff locked the doors during SCVs show if I remember correctly.

In 2012 there were major thunder storms over Indy. The corps all had to warm up indoors in the convention centre. The park like everywhere else in Indy was very wet... Rain would have at the very least disrupted finals week.

This was 2012... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150979295467274&set=vb.26900688667&type=3&theater

DCA has had worse luck. Finals were rained out in 1987, leaving the Prelims scores to stand as final. And the sound on the 1999 Finals video (I think it was) is terrible because of the constant rain. I'm a latecomer to following DCA, but I'm pretty sure other years have had Prelims rain-outs. It appear that while the 2006 Prelims weren't rained out, they were steadily rained on, and perhaps cold, and fairly miserable.

87 was very wet...but at least it wasn't cold. The field was a muddy mess, but at least I wasn't slipping around. It was barely raining when we (Empire) hit the field. It was pouring for MBI, tho (especially during their closer -- ironically enough "Come in from the Rain.")

06 was absolutely miserable..heavy rain and COLD. Fortunately, going on 1st with Dream meant we had field lines, but it was absolyutely the worst marching experience of my life.

Holy cow I would actually LOVE that! Probably not financially feasible for most organizations, but it would be great IMO!

Yeah... based on our history, I wouldn't mind an indoor championship. LOL

That all-day rain in 1987.... followed by another all-day rain in 1988 that forced DCA to move Prelims and Finals to Labor Day Monday.

1988 was the last year of the two shows-on-Sunday format. DCA went to the "Prelims on Saturday, Finals on Sunday" schedule in 1989.

NE, you've already mentioned 1999.... where it rained off and on all day on Finals day, but somehow managed to clear up just enough for us to get Finals in that night. We've also had rain at DCA Finals in 2002.

Heh... in 1992, what I'll call the "Miracle of Scranton" occurred at DCA Finals. LOL. Finals day that year, it rained steadily all day...looked like we might get washed out that evening. But... the rain stopped about a half-hour before showtime, and didn't start again until after the awards ceremony and the corps had left the field.

My brother drove up from NJ to watch the show, and said it was raining like crazy all the way to Scranton... until he was about 10 minutes from the stadium, then it stopped.

Like a miracle, I tell ya. :lol:

Edited by Fran Haring